My son is deeply depressed and I don't know what to do for him, can anyone help or give me any advic

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 06:00 pm
I have been having a lot of communication with my son, he was suppose to of gone back to school & it is as though he has given up on his dreams. He is so lonely & depressed, I don't know how I can help him. Can anyone relate & if you can, please give me some feedback.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 4,585 • Replies: 18

jespah

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 06:30 pm
@maemandy,
Without a lot of context, there's not much we can say. But depression is an illness; it's likely that he should be evaluated by a physician.
neologist

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 07:49 pm
@jespah,
Right. Many depressed people isolate themselves. That only makes things worse. Best to have him evaluated by a professional.
trying2learn

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 02:05 am
@maemandy,
Yes I can relate. I was extremely depressed to the point that I would not talk to anyone, wouldn't eat, laid on the couch from morning to night just looking up. I only got up to use the bathroom and feed my dog.

No one could help me because I just tuned them out. It didn't matter what anyone said. I had to find it in myself to realize I needed help. That was really hard for me to deal with because I didn't understand why I felt so sad. Nothing bad had happened so there was no reason for me to feel the way I did.

I don't know why your son feels the way he does. All I can suggest is don't give up on him.

Good luck and I hope everything turns out okay.
maemandy

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 07:24 pm
@jespah,
I appreciate your response. His depression has gotten so bad & he is moody most of the time, you never no what to expect one minute to the next. he stays in the house most of the time, he mainly only goes out to go to work or to the store. He is also a binge eater. Most of his money goes on food. He was suppose to of started graduate school & all three times he has made a excuse why he couldn't go. He has been saying he will take the test, but he hasn't yet. The next test date is in December & he keeps saying how long he has but he isn't studying at all, what I know of. He has know friends & the two friends he thought he had just quit calling him. He is so bitter & it breaks my heart to see him like this. He has always been such a happy & jolly person & here the last year or so it is as though he has given up on life. He keeps saying he doesn't know what his purpose is to be here. I just want to help him, but I don't know how. I feel so helpless not being able to help him. He has always been there for me. It is my turn to be there for him. But how do I help him. I just wish I knew. We can't even talk without arguing. I miss the talks we used to have about politics & the news . I feel like I have lost my son. I don't know what to do to help him. Does anyone have any sugguestions. GOD BLESS!
JPB

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 07:28 pm
@maemandy,
My sympathies to you and your son during this difficult time. It's not easy for either of you. I'm confused a bit by one of the statements in your response to Jespah. You said that 'He has always been there for me. It is my turn to be there for him.' Can you expand on that a bit?
0 Replies

maemandy

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 07:30 pm
@neologist,
I agree with you that isolating himself, he is only making the problem that much worse. But I just don't know how to deal with him. He was suppose to of started graduate school & he still hasn't gone. He talks about it but that is about it. He has know friends, he hates his job, he just is unhappy all away around. We arguing almost on a daily basis. He is begging for help. You can't force him to go to a dr. I have tried to get him to go to some groups but he refuses to go. He says that he has tried that & it didn't help him @ all. If anyone has any sugguestions I sure would like to hear them. Because I am besides myself with worry.
0 Replies

maemandy

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 07:36 pm
@trying2learn,
I'm glad to hear that you do understand. I believe if he had some friends that it would make such a difference in his life. He has gained weight, he doesn't care about his appearance, he binge eats, he only goes out of the house to work & go to the store & sometimes to go to SAC to talk to a former professor, but that is seldom. It breaks my heart to have to sit back & watch him throw his whole life away. He used to be a leader in school clubs, debate teams & even did a tribute to the 911 victims. He is just wasting away. If you have any suggustions how I can help him, I am open to all suggustions.
jespah

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 06:27 am
@maemandy,
I am thinking you need to put your foot down and get him evaluated by a physician. I am assuming her is over 18 so you can't just drag him to one, but you can make it a condition of him continuing to live in your home.

This isn't cruelty; this is you getting him treatment.

But try talking to him about seeing a doctor first. See if he will go voluntarily. Drive him, pay the copay, select the doctor from a phone book if you have to - do whatever you can in order to enable this to happen and to undercut any excuses he may come up with. But get him there.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 11:50 am
@maemandy,
jespah wrote:
But try talking to him about seeing a doctor first. See if he will go voluntarily. Drive him, pay the copay, select the doctor from a phone book if you have to - do whatever you can in order to enable this to happen and to undercut any excuses he may come up with. But get him there.

This approach is what worked for me to go see a dr. My husband said he would make the appt., drive me there and even sit in on the appt. with me. He asked me to at least try and I did. I really doubt I would have done any of this on my own.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Sat 21 May, 2022 10:47 pm
@maemandy,

Get to know your son. Because as a dad your going to be with him over your daughter.
Get to know his goals, wants, and what he is working on and what he could work on.
Invest time in your son. IT IS THE LAST DAY OF CLASS AND YOU HAVE TO
HAND IN YOUR THESIS. You did not do any research, you masturbated all that time to that girl that was too easy but never hit on. Now your running around like a chicken with it's head off because you know you have failed and
their is nothing you can do but face the music and hand in a half-baked written assignment as you drink coffee while you have some creepy girl giving
you a "massage" to keep you alert ( because you do not have a monkey with a
shock stick to keep you working ).

Research,
Get the tools,
Get the training
Deploy
Do your best at winning.

The family tree rises and does not fall.
Children are a business they carry your DNA.
The bare minimum is for them to pass on your genes.
The highest maximum is for them to surpass you and then some more.

As a business make them a project. Like how you would get revenge on somebody, or how a raptor or hawk would watch it's prey with it's eyes.
However we are human so our potential is unlimited.

Twice people have invented the electronic eye. One using patients as test
subjects over a long period of time and another a wealthy invester who lost
his eye and made it wireless to an old phone.

Twice people have made flying jetpack men ( in fact three times )

1. The typical fan man and air powered jet pack.
2. The fuel thing that uses your back to control it.
3. The printable drone based one shown on tele yesterday.

Twice Cancer patients had more options lesser known.
1. The Dr. Lazartan ? ( what Fabio male model talked about his sister ).
2. The hotdog method ? ( injected liquid aluminum into cells and then heating up the area ).
In comparison to radiation or kimo ( a barberic method ).

I do not know your son but you should know him. Get him to open up, and be honest and do not stab at his honesty. Love him no matter what, learn the good and bad.

I have known $#@$@#tty fathers who are great dads but beyond seeing their kids grow up and becoming young adults ( teenagers ) they have no clue of what to do next. Like all daddy can do is play and run out of the room when the dapers needs to be change and complain about how ... bread-winner this and vacation blah balh that.

The family tree must always rise.
You have to fight, never give up.
Always keep moving forward.
Do with love and if you need to summon anger and rage be god like.

When your gone he will be the only thing left of you on this world.
Even if you have any accomplishments all that will remain are a few words.
Like "the it girl" or "he hit on every girl" or "crazy $@#$@#" nothing else,
but "Their lies so and so blah blah" . Even all of that will go in time.

You have to fight and fight and fight with love, till their is nothing left but the skin on your bones.

The family tree must rise. Abraham Lincoln had more then twenty children.
only two of them survived. Imagine being alive during that time and seeing baby after baby being planted into the soil.

How do you know your not alive? When the day your unable to make a fist.
That is the first thing a baby can do. Cling on to somebody finger for it's dear life as a survival mechanism.

Beyond that who will make him survive? God, Uncle Sam and his bloody hands, some pretty skirt, nobody. Imagine being born in a world naked no home, no yard, no nothing. That is the world after our parents are gone.

We are naked.
Mame

Reply Sun 22 May, 2022 09:09 am
@PoliteMight,
Once again, PM, you are responding to an old thread. This one was from 2013. I'm pretty sure the situation has been resolved.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 May, 2022 10:49 pm
@Mame,
Maybe he thinks this is a nostalgia period piece.
jcboy

Reply Mon 23 May, 2022 01:05 pm
@glitterbag,
There are two of them going around bumping old threads and I can't understand either one of them Razz

This fool is one of them mrknowspeople
Linkat

Reply Mon 23 May, 2022 02:36 pm
@jcboy,
I saw another doing this Erin with some numbers after her name but these other two characters seem to just be giving off the wall advice and paying no attention that others point out the age of the original post.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 May, 2022 02:38 pm
@jcboy,
I think that's a member who has taken a new name, not sure, just smells funny.
Linkat

Reply Mon 23 May, 2022 02:40 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Maybe his name says he knows people ...wonder who
glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 May, 2022 02:46 pm
@Linkat,
That's even more disturbing.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 23 May, 2022 02:50 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

Maybe his name says he knows people ...wonder who

Oh yea, he's following a few people that haven't posted in a while, pretty sure he'e been here before. Not PoliteMight but that mrknowspeople

0 Replies