Is it ok to have fun at work?

Angel23

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 09:48 am
I joke around alot, but never at the expense of getting stuff done. Is the following unprofessional?
Jokingly telling my supervisor i been stalking her. In fact, I made that joke more than once. Like about facebook.

One time occasion: telling coworkers about her personal life (not in detail tho.)

I just think ppl are leery of me after I threw an object to the ground and accidentally hit a team lead. That was out of anger, not fun.

My supervisor initially thought it was funny when I made that joke to her though. Mixed message, anyone?

dalehileman

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 02:48 pm
@Angel23,
Anyone, if work makes you miserable, just hang in there. I can testify that retirement is wonderful. You will look old and helpless to former associates who if you've always kept your emotions in check, will then do things for you
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 03:10 pm
@Angel23,
Quote:
Jokingly telling my supervisor i been stalking her. In fact, I made that joke more than once. Like about facebook.

One time occasion: telling coworkers about her personal life (not in detail tho.)

Not fun. Not ok.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 03:14 pm
@Angel23,
That's a bad joke at its worst; you may be charged with harrassment - which is a serious crime.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 03:25 pm
@Angel23,
Angel23 wrote:
Jokingly telling my supervisor i been stalking her.

not funny

not professional

not appropriate
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 03:25 pm
@Angel23,
Angel23 wrote:

incredibly inappropriate
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 04:00 pm
I am amazed that you have a job at all.

I agree with ehBeth. Your comments and behavior are totally inappropriate.

What you're doing and saying is not fun. It's self-destructive.
Angel23

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 04:30 pm
@Roberta,
What I did is incredibly fucked up. So much to learn! Hopefully I don't die tryna catch up.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 04:35 pm
Pink-slip inappropriate.
Angel23

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 04:42 pm
@InfraBlue,
Pink slip for girls, blue slip for guys
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 04:43 pm
@Angel23,
Apologize, and tell her you'll never do that **** again!
Falco

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 04:55 pm
@Angel23,
Anyone who has to work with you on a daily basis - may God have mercy on their soul. Sad
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 05:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Better she should/could/I hope learn about what is appropriate at work.

Angel really does seem to have no clue, and is trying to figure out what is ok and not processing well what we say - it all seems new each time, and it may be, re her sense of social clues.

But, sort of like toddlers going to restaurants, some parents teach and some don't as it's loud in here anyway.

I am wondering if Angel's employer or helping agency had any kind of information presentation before she started work, or if anyone is helping her learn things like Work is Not Facebook.

I'm too old and cranky, but this could be a useful new business for people who understand how others have trouble adapting.

Lest I sound snotty, I left my IQ test unfinished to go with a friend to the then local soda fountain, at sixteen or seventeen.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 05:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Having worked in management for several companies, our new employees always received a Personnel Manual that outlined the do's and don't's.

I'm also sure many small businesses do not have the luxury of managers who are trained in personnel management or perform staff evaluations.

Without having any knowledge about the company he/she works for, it's difficult to cover all the bases.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 05:29 pm
@Falco,
No need to be so mean - we are not all socially acclimated.

Back in the sixties, I ran a small laboratory, and at one point I was allowed by the department to hire help.
I picked a guy who had a lot of both cooking and laboratory experience in the army for a lot of years. He was straightforward when I interviewed him. Of all the people I interviewed, he seemed to get process.
He was also very heavy, an easy 400 pounds. He was made fun of later by another tech, another story.

I taught him what I knew at the time, and he was good, efficient, more efficient than I was (but I was better at trouble shooting), and often funny. I ended up his daughter's godmother, just as I was leaving the catholic church. I told him so, and he pleaded I do it. Sure.

He had married a woman whom he met in France when he was in the army (this was in the sixties I met him), who already had a son. A son who had sometimes been locked in a closet by her brute husband. The boy was retarded, as was said. When I met the son, he was getting along, maybe seventeen, pulling out of his very dark past. In school, hanging in.

A lot of us online have social issues, trouble dealing with others.

Making fun of people is sometimes a sign of advanced stupidity.
Falco

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 05:54 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm sorry about that ossobuco. Next time I'll try harder to control my humorful expressions that seems to come off in an insulting manner.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 06:01 pm
@Falco,
I am sorry I dumped on you, am defensive re some posters.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 06:11 pm
@Angel23,
Angel23 wrote:
Is the following unprofessional?

I'm curious why you ask.
0 Replies

Angel23

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 06:42 am
@cicerone imposter,
I apologized and she accepted and said not to let it happen again.
0 Replies

Angel23

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 06:44 am
@cicerone imposter,
I work for a Fortune 500. That much I'm sayin, although at store level, not corporate.