Another Scandal Comin' Up-Again

pistoff

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 06:37 pm
Ken Who? Enron What?

Ken Lay?
Enron?
Never heard of them

Do you remember Enron and its CEO Ken Lay? Well, if you do, you have a better memory than George W. Bush.

Enron: A scam

On January 10, 2002, GWBush told another of his whoppers. This date was after Enron had gone bankrupt and the nation was being treated to revelation after revelation of the financial shenanigans that caused the bankruptcy and that destroyed the pension savings of hundreds of Enron employees.

One of the central figures in this largest of all swindles was Enron CEO Ken Lay. Enron was a scam. The whole business relied on accounting tricks, secret partnerships, shady and convoluted trading, and outright lies. In October 2000, Enron reported a third-quarter loss of $638 million; in November it admitted inflating its profits by $600 million over five years. Enron had paid no income taxes for four of the preceding five years.

As Enron was going into the tank, the company forbade employees from selling stock that they held in their retirement plans. Meanwhile, company executives were dumping millions of shares and pocketing profits based on thievery that had inflated the stock prices. At the same time Lay was urging employees to buy more stock, he dumped enough shares to earn $50 million.

Enron? Ken Lay? Never heard of them.

Bush's Lie

On January 10 a reporter asked GWBush about his relationship with Ken Lay. Bush replied:

"First of all, Ken Lay is a supporter, and I got to know Ken Lay when he was a head of the -- what they call the Governor's Business Council in Texas. He was a supporter of Ann Richards (former Texas governor) in my run against her in 1994, and she named him head of the Governor's Business Council and I decided to leave him in place, for the sake of continuity. And that's when I first got to know Ken and worked with Ken, and he supported my candidacy . . . "

The truth

In fact GWBush knew and associated with Ken Lay long before 1994 and Bush was much closer to Lay than just re-appointing him to a business council.
In the summer of 1991, Lay told the Dallas Morning News that in 1989, when he was spearheading a project to locate the Bush Presidential Library in Houston (Bush I), "That's when I probably spent more quality time with George W. Bush." 1989 -- not 1994.

Lay headed the local host committee for the 1992 Republican National Convention in Houston where, according to what he told the Houston Chronicle he "worked closely with George W. Bush." 1992 -- not 1994.

In a March 2001 interview with PBS, Lay told a much different story from the lie told by GWBush. Lay stated that he had been "a strong financial and political supporter of, first, President Bush, Sr., when he was running for president in 1980. . . I'm very close to the family. . . I was very close to George W. and had a lot of respect for him . . . " 1980 -- not 1994.

In a video of an October 2000 meeting of Enron employees, Lay stated "I strongly supported Bush when he ran for governor of Texas both times." In fact, Bush sent Lay a letter in 1997 in which he referred to Lay as one of his "old friends."
What about Bush's claim that Lay had supported Ann Richards, former Texas governor? Lay and his wife contributed $12,500 to Richards. They gave $47,500 to Bush and Enron's political action committee gave Bush $146,500 (the PAC gave Richards $19,500).
From 1994 on, Lay and his wife gave: $122,500 for the two Bush gubernatorial campaigns; $100,000 for his inauguration; $250,000 for the Bush I presidential library. Enron and Enron executives gave $736,680 to Bush for his political campaigns, his election recount, and his inauguration.
Perhaps this explains why Ken Lay has not been charged by the feds in the Enron disaster, while other Enron executives are going to jail.

Conclusion

George W. Bush lied about his relationship with Enron CEO Ken Lay.

George W. Bush is a liar.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=21

*The Rethugs aka Neo Fascists probably thought this went down the memory hole. Nope. It will pop up again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 564 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 07:05 pm
pistoff, Just learning about GWBush's lies? LOL
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 07:46 pm
Nope
I am refreshing the memories. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 07:47 pm
Just heard on the radio today that Skillings sold $62 million of his stocks before he quit Enron - while he was telling eveybody to buy more shares.
Wonder if he'll get prison time?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 08:12 pm
I would not take any statement by Ken Lay, particularly in regards to his relationship with Bush or the Bush family, at face value. People like Lay often over state their relationship with powerful public figure to advance their own interests. Lay was/is a scam artist and this is exactly what I would expect of him. The Bush family is New England money, and I wold expect they would have kept people like Lay at arms lenght.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 09:43 pm
Liars
Congressional Investigations: Questions That Won't Be Asked
February 20, 2002
by Radfringe

Enron investigations are in full swing. At last count there are no less than 16 committees asking questions. Investigations into the events of September 11, 2002 will begin soon.

The following are questions that probably won't be asked:

Enron:

Initially G.W. Bush denied knowing Ken Lay. Later, news reports showed that Bush did know Lay, who did in fact contribute heavily to Bush's Gubernatorial races, Presidential Race, Recount Fund, and Inaugural Ball.

The Texas archives have recently released correspondence between Ken Lay and G.W. Bush. This consisted of personal notes as well as pleas for legislative assistance and intervention. Several major media sources have carried the story.

A White House staffer claims that GW Bush never denied knowing Ken Lay and that this is old news.

If so, then did Bush lie when he said he didn't know Kenny-boy? Are they lying now in saying that Bush never denied knowing Kenny-boy? Are they lying still? Is this FUZZY TRUTH?

How much influence did Enron and Kenny-boy have in shaping Texas legislation and now national policies? What is the real reason Cheney won't release the meeting records? How many "unofficial" meetings were there; who attended; what was discussed?

How far did the deep pockets of Enron control Republican agendas? Who else in Congress has been bought and paid for by Enron and other corporations?

September 11, 2001:

In the spring of 2001, The Bush Administration sent a group to Afghanistan. The theme of the visit was the Caspian/Afghanistan pipeline.

The Taliban were told that they could be "carpeted in gold or carpeted in bombs." In late spring-early summer of 2001, the Bush administration sent these "evil-doers" $43 million in aid.

Was this a bribe? A taste of the 'golden carpet'?

Around the same time, the Bush administration was ramping up the military, some reports have hinted that it was in preparation for an Afghanistan invasion.

Also, around the same time, the Bush Administration hampered Terrorist Investigations by the FBI and CIA. Why?

On September 11, 2001 we experienced a devastating attack on our soil. Air Force defenses were not mobilized. Why?

Reports have claimed that this attack was totally unexpected. A month later we were bombing Afghanistan.

Rolling back the time machine: When Iraq invaded Kuwait, it took us more than 6 months to mobilize troops and equipment and begin expelling Iraq from Kuwait.

Yet, 1 month after an unexpected attack on American soil we are bombing Afghanistan? Were we prepared for such a campaign prior to September 11? How did we mobilize so fast in comparison to the Kuwait campaign?

On September 9, 2001, Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida signed documents that initiated Martial Law in Florida. Why? This was 2 days before 9/11. What did he know? When did he know it?

Was this just an example of FBI-CIA incompetence or did they know and were prevented from acting?

Afghanistan Pipeline:

In 1988, a consortium of Gas/Oil corporations announced that they would not be pursuing pipeline construction. They cited the Afghanistan civil war as the reason.

Two weeks ago, the newly installed interim Afghanistan government agreed to the pipeline project.

Bush said that our goal in Afghanistan was NOT to topple the Taliban government. Yet, the Taliban is gone, and Bin-laden is still out there.

Did the Bush Administration plan on overthrowing the Taliban from the start to open the door for the pipeline?

Questions, Questions and more Questions:

Carpet of gold/carpet of bombs, military build-up, FBI-CIA terrorist investigation hampered - was all this in preparation to allow an attack that would enrage the American people and in turn the American people would support an invasion of Afghanistan and other countries?

What was Enron's interests in the pipeline? They were part of the original consortium. Are some of these answers in the Cheney Energy meeting papers?

There is so much we don't know and need to find out. We need to know what is hiding in the bushes!
0 Replies