The Canada Thread

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 06:25 pm
@farmerman,
I like the idea of pre-scalloped potatoes but don't know about those chips.

A friend and her hubby are trying the flavours. The Montreal Smoked Meat chips apparently taste like old-school hickory sticks. They're trying the Baked Bean flavour next. I'm not sure I want to know what they taste like.

https://metronewsca.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/lays1.jpg?w=618&h=309&crop=1

Butter Chicken flavour potato chips - now that's Canajun!
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 04:50 pm
A Canadian Man Found A Bat Swimming In His Toilet
Ragman

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 05:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
This was in the bat room, wasn't it?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 01:36 am
@tsarstepan,
Was it a cricket bat or a baseball bat ??
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 08:37 am
I thought this to be interesting, didn'tknow about those Canadian cartels - although the report below in the NYT is about the situation in "La Belle Province":
Canadian Maple Syrup ‘Rebels’ Clash With Law
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 06:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
http://i58.tinypic.com/2wpt55k.jpg
http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/the-most-wtf-moments-of-2015-so-far#.jovwA1g70L
Joeblow

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 07:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I read that with interest Walter. Thank you.

As an aside, I had an opportunity to go sugaring for the first time this spring. Before this year, I'd only ever seen it done as a kid, long ago.

Anyway, I helped tap the trees one day, and went back on another to help with the boil and bottling. At 40 litres of sap to one litre of syrup, no wonder the stuff is so expensive. This was in Ontario, not subject to the same restrictions those folks in Quebec seem to be living under. I had fun. Learned a thing or two, but it was hard work, especially on the scale they were operating at… no lines, just buckets. Only about 230 trees tapped this year but still, not bad for a small family farm.

We have a couple very large hard maples on our cottage property. Enough for two, possible three taps each. I plan to tap them myself at least once, one of these years when I retire.

These folks have a saw mill too. I'm hoping to get there again in the fall to check it out.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 07:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's gross but funny as all get out. Crazy bastards.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 07:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
This is the second raccoon memorial this summer.

People are uh interesting.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 07:55 pm
@ehBeth,
these crazy chips

I was in the grocery store last night. A woman wearing the jacket from another grocery store came flying in and ran to the clerk I was talking to ... she was looking for the new flavour chips. The store she works for doesn't carry them and she'd heard our Valu-Mart did.

He pointed the way and she raaaaaaaaaaan to the rack and grabbed 2 bags of each of the new flavours.

I've never seen a potato chip emergency before.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 12:35 am
@ehBeth,
I haven't been that crazed for many years. I'm not sure I ever qualified, much as I have liked some salt. I may put my change down to discovery of peppers of different sorts. Who needs a mass of salt if you are dealing with jalapenos and their kin.

Anyway, I eat some flaming peppers at least once a day. Bad woman.
So far so good, health wise. But that is not why I eat all that. I just don't like food boredom.

Do you assume your partner will have no serious views about anything? What will you so if you differ?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 07:00 pm
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/13/47/0a/13470a62e035eb662e002c4c0b3adcb4.jpg
hingehead

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 04:14 pm
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8b/56/6f/8b566f98f1a60590d6b5e11590370a84.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 07:10 pm
@hingehead,
that's exactly what the border looks like where Set and I crossed after visiting MarleyFrances in Maine. Even I couldn't believe how truly unprotected the border was there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 07:20 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll try not to intervene with a french scalloped potato recipe.

My parents and I went to Canada from NYC when I was eight. I remember the tea at my father's aunts, it had milk in it.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 09:32 am
@ossobuco,
An Entire Town In New Brunswick Tried To Chase Down A Rogue Llama And It Was Adorable
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 12:49 pm
@tsarstepan,

And 31 Photos That Prove Canada Is The Land Of “Aww’s”
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 01:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 03:53 am
@hingehead,
Just before i got out of the army, i was stationed in Virginia, the eastern half of which is just packed with military bases. Early in January, there was what was seen there as a heavy snow storm (3" to 6"). Much of the state was paralyzed, because the locals had no snow removal vehicles, and didn't know how to drive in snow--and other southerners stationed at the numerous military bases were equally inept. They'd be creeping down an interstate highway when some joker from Michigan or Maine or Minnesota would blow by them at 50 or 60 miles an hour, and they'd stand on their brakes, spin out and end up in the ditch.

One thing i've always seen in Canadia is that they're ready for it. When the first flakes come sifting down, the trucks are out on the highways. People come home from work and shovel the sidewalks and driveways.

Business as usual, eh?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 03:59 pm
As fellow climate change criminals we acknowledge your recent loss.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CR1kbD0UwAADD0q.jpg:large
0 Replies