Obama, understanding birther issue

izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 06:05 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I wouldn't say we're puzzled at all. Churchill was voted the top Briton of all time in a poll not so long back. He was the main figure in the downfall of Hitler, so for our wartime allies to hold him in high regard, follows. What is puzzling, is the American foldness for the slimeball Piers Morgan.
roger

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 06:46 am
@jespah,
Either way, that was one hellacious long sentence.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 07:40 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I wouldn't say we're puzzled at all. Churchill was voted the top Briton of all time in a poll not so long back.
He was the main figure in the downfall of Hitler, so for our wartime allies to hold him in high regard, follows.
AGREED.

To what do u attribute the contrary allegation ?

izzythepush wrote:
What is puzzling, is the American foldness for the slimeball Piers Morgan.
I have no information about that.

David
izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 08:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
To what do u attribute the contrary allegation ?

I wouldn't know, I'm not a mind reader. Suffice it to say Obama is still relatively popular over here, mostly because his predecessor was so unpopular, and as such we're willing to forgive minor 'slights.'
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 09:52 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David Churchill was so beloved by the British people that they removed him from power after the danger was over but not the war,

He never fully recover from that slap in the face by his fellow countrymen and if anything he was more highly regarded by the US population then the UK population in the after war years.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 02:39 am
@BillRM,
Who the **** was David Churchill?

If you're talking about Winston, the reason he lost the 1945 election was because he was backward looking, just resting on his war effort. Atlee's government introduced the NHS, and talked about making society more equal. You win elections by having a vision, it's all about the future not the past. You really are a moron.
0 Replies

smokey888x2

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 02:49 pm
@jespah,
The subject isn't about the 'Bust of Churchill' it's about the birther issue and the natural born aspect of having 'both' parents completely American w/ cause.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 02:51 pm
@smokey888x2,
Since you don't understand either, it's all good!
0 Replies

smokey888x2

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 02:55 pm
@Ceili,
You couldn't be more correct. But foreign born for 'President' is a step to far. The founders thought of this one office, that it be the very best for 'both' parents to be of natural born American's. It makes a lot of sense, you just don't want a President who would also have an allegance to another foreign country. That's the Constitution and O knew it - he's a constitutional lawyer!! He knew it, he knew he was qualified up front. We can't constantly be changing the law. Like the illegals - they knew it. The cards were up front.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 03:16 pm
@smokey888x2,
How do you feel about Mitt Romney's father having been born in Mexico? It sounds like Mitt Romney's father (George) and grandfather had much allegiance with that foreign country called Mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Romney

Quote:
George Wilcken Romney (July 8, 1907 – July 26, 1995) was an American businessman and Republican Party politician. He was chairman and CEO of American Motors Corporation from 1954 to 1962, the 43rd Governor of Michigan from 1963 to 1969, and the United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development from 1969 to 1973. He is the father of former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney and the husband of former Michigan U.S. Senate candidate Lenore Romney.

Romney was born to American parents living in the Mormon colonies in Mexico; events during the Mexican Revolution forced his family to flee back to the United States when he was a child.

Romney's grandparents were polygamous Mormons who fled the United States with their children due to the federal government's opposition to polygamy.[1] His maternal grandfather was Helaman Pratt (1846–1909), who presided over the Mormon mission in Mexico City before moving to the Mexican state of Chihuahua and who was the son of original Mormon apostle Parley P. Pratt (1807–1857).[2][3] In the 1920s, Romney's uncle Rey L. Pratt (1878–1931) played a major role in the preservation and expansion of the Mormon presence in Mexico and in its introduction to South America.[4] A more distant kinsman was George Romney (1734–1802), a noted portrait painter in Britain during the last quarter of the 18th century.[5]

Romney's parents, Gaskell Romney (1871–1955) and Anna Amelia Pratt (1876–1926), were American citizens and natives of Utah. They married in 1895 in Mexico and lived in Colonia Dublán in Galeana in the state of Chihuahua (one of the Mormon colonies in Mexico) where George was born on July 8, 1907.[1][3][6] They practiced monogamy[1] (polygamy having gone into decline following the 1890 Manifesto). George had three older brothers, two younger brothers, and a younger sister.[7] Gaskell Romney was a successful carpenter, house builder, and farmer who headed the most prosperous family in the colony,[8][9] which was situated in an agricultural valley below the Sierra Madre Occidental.[10] The family did not speak Spanish and chose U.S. citizenship for their children, including George.[10]
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 03:58 pm
@smokey888x2,
smokey888x2 wrote:

You couldn't be more correct. But foreign born for 'President' is a step to far. The founders thought of this one office, that it be the very best for 'both' parents to be of natural born American's.

What's insanely hilarious about this comment is that the founders, every one of them, was born a citizen of another country and we probably didn't have a President with natural born US citizens as parents until the 1850's when all those "founders" were dead and gone. It's amazing how people are completely willing to ascribe to "founders" whatever patriotic nonsense is in vogue at any given time.

But back to Romney, his ancestors fled the country because they did not believe in US laws or customs. I hear that the founders believed that the ancestors of anyone who fled the country to practice polygamy should be banned from the Presidency so Romney would be disqualified. Also the founders never heard of Mormonism. I'm sure they had an opinion about that somewhere in there.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 05:07 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
What's insanely hilarious about this comment is that the founders, every one of them, was born a citizen of another country and we probably didn't have a President with natural born US citizens as parents until the 1850's when all those "founders" were dead and gone.

http://barclay1720.tripod.com/blunder/images/buren.jpg
Martin van Buren (1837-41): first president born after July 4, 1776.
engineer

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 06:45 pm
@joefromchicago,
I wonder which was the first to have US born parents.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 07:51 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
What's insanely hilarious about this comment is that the founders, every one of them, was born a citizen of another country

NONSENSE if you mean outside the colonies as the only ones that come to mind is A.Hamilton and T. Paine.

If you mean born before the US came into being and they was British citizens therefore then you are doing game playing of little worth in my opinion.
engineer

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:11 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

If you mean born before the US came into being and they was British citizens therefore then you are doing game playing of little worth in my opinion.

Not at all. The OP feels that the intent of the "founders" was that the President should not only be a natural born US citizen, but his parents should be also. I think that is ridiculous since I doubt the first fifteen Presidents could claim their parents were of US citizenship.
BillRM

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:27 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
Not at all. The OP feels that the intent of the "founders" was that the President should not only be a natural born US citizen, but his parents should be also. I think that is ridiculous since I doubt the first fifteen Presidents could claim their parents were of US citizenship.

Come on the constitution even allowed anyone not born in the Colonies but living there before the revolution to be the US president so that limitation did not apply to the founders generation.

Both Hamilton born in the Caribbeans and Paine born in England could had run for President if they had wish to for example.

I agree however the whole subject is beyond being silly and was just a racist attempt to go after Obama and little else.

Hell Obama was born in a US state and his GOP opponent was born in Panama of all places!!!!!!!
0 Replies