artisanal pizza revisited

Sun 20 Nov, 2011 07:41 pm
So I like a lot of kinds of pizza but my heart rests in Rome. It would rest in Naples, which I've read a lot about, especially re revered pizza places, but not only about those - but I've not been there. Indeed some roman pizza is fuggedaboutit. Anyway, I'm a picky broad. I would be apt to like Nancy Silverton's pizza if I could get into her restaurants. Our a2k friend raphillon would have comments here.

So, like a silver taunt, I go to put my lastest trash in the bin and find a Dominos' pizza ad clambering onto my door knob. Some fuckwit stuff about artisanal. Or maybe just artisan - I won't check, it's already in the trash.

So, is all quality to become a zoned line or pressed blob?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,477 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

ossobuco

Sun 20 Nov, 2011 10:15 pm
@ossobuco,
All right, that sounded like a ramble. It wasn't, it was fairly specific, and rather disrespecting, but never mind.

How do you react to Dominos putting an Artisan Pizza ad on your door knob? Will you check it out?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 15 Aug, 2014 06:32 pm
Apparently people didn't like this thread, so I'll revive it.

I don't make pizza in a major money oven, rather an inexpensive one, and play around with italian, or reports of italian, recipes. And I fool around with it all.

Since I was fixated like a baby duck when I got to Rome (I would have likely been fixated anywhere) and what Rome offered me was grand, I remember things.

One was the pizza we had on campo dei Fiori at a probable tourist place (or not). I took it as a beer and pizza place with germanic touches (this in the late '80's). We were in jet lag. We ordered a pizza with wurstel. Oh, and a beer for each of us.

The pizza was weird to me - almost nothing on it. The wurstel had holes, like lace. It was delicious. The wurstel had fat blobs in it, that melted in the oven.. thus the lace.

I've tried this recently with mortadella, but mortadella is hard to find west of the Rio Grande. Yesterday I went to my likeable but not snazzy market and decided to look for bologna. No way I'd buy the stuff in the main this and that aisle. I've pretty much hated that since the sixties being raised on it in the fifties.

This time I went to the 'deli' and asked for thin sliced beef bologna, and was surprised. I didn't hate it.

The pizza is just out of the oven -
asadero cheese, sliced
concocted spicy tomato sauce dribbles
artichoke hearts, a few
thin beef bologna as a cover

We'll see, I might still hate it. Didn't before it was cooked.

ossobuco

Fri 15 Aug, 2014 06:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Meantime, there are no holes in the meat that is left.
Alas.
ossobuco

Fri 15 Aug, 2014 06:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, on artisanal, it seems by various studies that real sourdough, the kind that takes a lot of hours, is pretty healthy, and last I read, the gluten melds away as time in rising goes by.

No link right now. I think that was from the guy at the Guardian, and it didn't refer to store sourdoughs.
ossobuco

Fri 15 Aug, 2014 07:04 pm
@ossobuco,
I just added gluten to the tags since this is actually a serious consideration re real sourdough, apparently specially re rye.
ossobuco

Fri 15 Aug, 2014 08:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh well.

the thing is real sour dough is useful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 8 Sep, 2014 07:33 am
Culver Road? We had a Culver Blvd. back in Los Angeles.
0 Replies