Do you exercise?

CalamityJane

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 09:14 am
I go to the gym 4 times a week with my friends. That's always a great workout and we have enough juice to gossip along while exercising - time goes by so fast while chatting! Sports is as a stress reliever for me, I need it and it helps tremendously!
Plus I walk the dog all over the neighborhood too!
0 Replies

Reyn

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 09:21 am
Well, let's see.

I excercise my mind every day by playing chess and doing crosswords.

I walk occasionally.

Oh yeah, up and down our steps in our townhouse (3 levels).

I've become rather lazy in retirement.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 09:48 am
@Thomas,
Excellent point. The rack I'm getting doubles as a fender (wide middle to it).
Irishk

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 10:02 am
Mr.Irish and a couple of his buddies enjoy competing in triathlons...just for the fun of it. I like to ride along with him when he's training on the bike or running -- not so much the swimming part since they're all business and no fun allowed.

I agree with CJ that it's such a great stress reliever. Just do it!
0 Replies

George

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 10:24 am
@sozobe,
Don't forget a helmet.
Protect your squash.
sozobe

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 10:56 am
@George,
Fer sure.

Also a rear-view mirror.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 12:21 pm

My languor is exceeded only by my torpor. Is that an Olympic event ???

0 Replies

Brennan15

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 12:31 pm
@chai2,
Yes i do exercise daily. I get up early in the morning and after praying my pray i go to nearly park and i do running and walking. I feel very freshness after this exercise.
OmSigDAVID

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 12:36 pm
@Brennan15,
Brennan15 wrote:
Yes i do exercise daily. I get up early in the morning and after praying my pray
i go to nearly park and i do running and walking. I feel very freshness after this exercise.
WELCOME to the forum, Brennan

David
0 Replies

George

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 01:36 pm
I ride my bike or go canoeing whenever the opportunity arises.
I don't do either for exercise; I do them for fun.
0 Replies

roger

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 02:01 pm
@sozobe,
If I had to replace a bike, it would probably be with that particular Townie. I got to ride one for a few hundred yards up a hard pack road, and the enormous tires were better than any mechanical suspension system. You're going to love it.
0 Replies

hamilton

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:02 pm
I wake up at 5:30 a.m. to go to swim practice from 6:15-9:15. first two hours are lots and lots of swimming(over 20000 yards), and the last hour weight lifting and aerobics.
ossobuco

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:30 pm
@hamilton,
I'm older, cranky, and adverse to extreme temperatures. So, in my new home town climate, I stay in a fair amount of time. We either have some cold/snow (my favorite part of the year here, best time for me outdoors unless it is icy, which isn't that often), some hilarious winds of spring in the land of sand, or scary hot temps for some of us. Well, October is usually nice.

I'm an old walker, around twenty miles a week, old jogger (never speedy but steady), old swimmer once I learned (eventually to a mile and kept that up for some years).
Now I stretch and dance (like the a2k music thread links).

I've never gotten into yoga, too much woowoo, I would have to asphyxiate the instructor, not a smart idea as the instructor would be stronger... as good as the basics undoubtedly are. I'd probably like t'ai chi and should look into it.
Being a garden designer, I've gardened for decades. Am not so interested in converting my present sand, a philosophic thing. I'm from California, as I keep bringing up; it's the place that Iowa revamped, the garden move that I stopped being part of quite a while ago.
Mame

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:39 pm
@sozobe,
Linkat wrote:

And I do alot of sitting on my a$$ watching kids play sports - I do believe there is some physical output with the clenching of teeth and getting up and walking away when there are inappropriate parents...holding back on punching people stuff like that.

That made me laugh my head off Smile I've seen so many parents like that. I used to get my husband penalties from the fan box Smile ah well... My manta: I'm not your best fan. I'm not your best fan." Seems like they heard me Smile yay!!!
hamilton

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:45 pm
@ossobuco,
i have a scary coach. she can leg press well over half a ton. i dont want to get into lifting with her, because she makes me cry.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:30 pm
Just rode my new bike home from the store. Wheee!! Heat index of 109, I didn't care. Man it's nice to be riding again. (I didn't learn how to drive a car until I was in my mid-20's because I rode my bike exclusively and extensively to get around, from early teens through college and beyond.)

The photo doesn't do it justice, I didn't buy it for the paint job but it has a gorgeous paint job. (More intense color than the photo, with a pearlescent finish.)
chai2

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:32 pm
@sozobe,
oo la la
0 Replies

raprap

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:46 pm
I use a bicycle for about 75% of my local transportation. It has two benefits, it doesn't require insurance or gasoline, and it provides exercise.

In addition I have a cargo bike that I use for trips to the grocery store.

I've been bicycle regularly for almost 40 years as it allows me room for another fixation--hand cranked ice cream.

BTW--at times fenders area godsend--and so are helmets.

I also participate in group rides.

Rap

0 Replies

Eva

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:51 pm
Like Reyn, I do a lot of stair climbing. Four levels in our house...basement (office), 1st floor, 2nd floor, attic conversion (master suite). Don't know how many more years we can do it, but we'll see.

Back problems (scoliosis, at least 2 collapsed discs, etc.) prevent most other forms of exercise.
0 Replies

bonat15

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 12:00 am
@chai2,
I play badminton every weekend. I usually play for more than 3 hours. But before I play, I jog for 30 minutes as warm up. Badminton is really physical and strenuous game so your body should be in good condition for you'll be chasing shuttles everywhere.