Rovers on Mars

rosborne979

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:45 pm
I agree, terrible news. And they were so close to drilling into that rock too. I'm bummed. But I'm still hoping they can fix it, and that the next one lands safely.

Mars is proving to be a very tough place to explore remotely.

Regards,
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 07:09 pm
They are discussing reprogramming the Rover's computers. It may not all be over with just yet.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:53 pm
EB-remember, ya gotta set it to reboot and I hear a muffled d'oh coming from nASA. Its a shame because our geology guys at F&M college had a big hand in setting up and calibrating the mini TES, which is a spectrophotometer, a very cutesy very bright one. AND they had a mini petrologic analytical lab set up to run the rock core by the TES. It was all gonna be very neat D'oh D'oh Damn!

Ill bet it was cycling of the light and dark and the temp extremes that did it in. The tolerances on the more sophisticated equip are really small. However, they do have about 2 weeks of good data and some TES workups thatll keep the chem guys busy for a year.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:42 pm
I'm not well enough educated to know what they can do in that regard. That's why I was taking them at their word.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:04 am
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/2004/29.cfm

"Spirit rover communicated with Earth in a signal detected by NASA's Deep Space Network antenna complex near Madrid, Spain, at 12:34 Universal Time (4:34 a.m. PST) this morning.
"The signal lasted for 10 minutes at a data rate of 10 bits per second.
"Mission controllers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., plan to send commands to Spirit seeking additional data from the spacecraft during the subsequent few hours. "

Probably the safe mode is by design. If commands are effective it will return to the normal mode.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 10:18 am
Things are improving

SPIRIT UPDATE: - Jan 23, 2004, 6:30 am PST
The flight team for NASA's Spirit received data from the rover in a communication session that began at 13:26 Universal Time (5:26 a.m. PST) and lasted 20 minutes at a data rate of 120 bits per second. >>

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 10:20 am
Good, good!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 12:14 pm
heres hopin weve dodged the blue screen of death
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 12:17 pm
Who did the software for the rover, Microsoft? I'm beginning to think so.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 12:21 pm
Nasa scientists Nasa can't be dumb enought to use a Microsoft monstronsity on Mars (can they?)

Don't worry. I believe I heard it is Linux based.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 12:23 pm
Any truth to the rumor that the administration wanted the rover to check to see if Saddam had hidden any weapons of mass destruction on Mars?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 12:31 pm
I am not sure if anyone else here is nerdy enough to find this interesting, but I checked.

The operating system on the Rover is a commercial OS called RTOS designed for embedded systems by Wind River.

The computers on Earth that commicate with and control the rover are largely Linux based.

I feel very confident that Spirit will pull through and start talking to us again.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 12:55 pm
I've heard that the application software was written in Java.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 01:10 pm
well n o wonder, does anyone speak Javanese?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 01:58 pm
Right you are. I just found this link

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/01/16/space.mars.java.reut/

Two slaps in Microsoft's face in one space mission. I love this little robot more every day!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 04:30 pm
I have linked to a java application "MAESTRO" in a post above in this thread.
(I don't think some one intervened in the control of the rover with the software.)
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:26 pm
http://spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/status.html

Quote:
Pete Theisinger, manager of the Mars Exploration Rover project, says Spirit is in "critical condition" as it sits at Gusev Crater.
"We do not know to what extent we can restore functionality to the system because we don't know what's broke. We don't know what started this chain of events. I think, personally, that is a sequence of things. And we don't know, therefore, the consequences of that.
"I think it is difficult, at this very preliminary stage, to assume that we did not have some type of hardware event that caused this to start. Therefore, we don't know to what extent we can work around that hardware event and to what extent we can get the software to ignore that hardware event, if that is what we eventually have to do.
"So we have a long way to go here with the patient in 'intensive care.' But we have been able to establish that we can command it, and we have been able to establish that it can give us information, and we have been able to establish that the power system is good and we are thermally OK. Those are all very, very, very important pieces of information and state.
"We are a long, long, long way from being done here. But we do have serious problems and our ability to eventually work around them is unknown.
"I'm trying to tell you do not to expect a big sea change in either knowledge or theory in the next several days because this is a very complex problem and we have very limited visibility."

Here seems a possibility of some hardware event to be suggested in a round-about way. If a problem in the hardware is the case and the extent is limited then it can be reformatted and installation will be possible of a backup software, which they must have on the rover.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:56 pm
On a side note, many earlier satellites as well as exploration vehicles bootstrapped their computers via mylar punch tape. Many were/still are PDP-11 based.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 05:49 pm
Things are getting better, but slowly:

" Scientists said they managed to reset Spirit's computer and put the rover into what's called ``cripple'' mode to bypass software problems".

Link to story
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 06:36 pm
http://spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/status.html

Rover project manager Peter Theisinger;
Quote:

"We made good progress overnight and the rover has been upgraded from critical to serious. We have a working hypothesis we are pursuing that is consistent with many of the observables and consistent with operations that we performed on the vehicle last night. It involves the flash memory on the vehicle and the software used to communicate with that memory.

In the statement the assertion is avoided whether it is a software problem or a hardware problem ("flash memory").
Anyhow there seems to be a progress, as they are able to be limiting possible causes.
0 Replies