Neglected Autotrol 1550TC Water Softener

Email Shmemail

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 01:00 pm
I bought some new strips from Walmart (50 strips for $12) instead of the previous HD (2 strips for $10) and its mainly used for pool and spa but it should work the same way. My reading now is:
Hardness = 0
Chlorine = 0
pH = 8.4
Alk = 240
acid = 0

I'm surprise to see that Hardness is ZERO. I"m not sure if the Walmart strips is just that much different then the old strip from HD or did my water just got softer. Never the less I'm happy with that.
The thing that still troubles me is the water level. I added more salt and it just pushes the water level higher. I"m still not able to cover up the water. I'm afraid if I keep on going it might just overflow or hit the very top before I can cover up the water.

I've attached some photos of the water level as well as the little white cap (restrictor) in the brine line that I was refering to earlier.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=113765513017441673300&target=ALBUM&id=5587173968234190049&authkey=Gv1sRgCPS6tomI0caulAE&feat=email

justalurker

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 09:39 pm
@Email Shmemail,
Your resin seems to have recovered and if the water holds soft (zero hardness) to the next regeneration then that is resolved.

That plastic thing looks like a ferrule, not a restrictor cap. It's job is to keep the tubing from collapsing when the connection is tightened. It is correct that it is in there.

As far as the water, I can tell you that if the control valve is set to 8 lbs then there should be a touch over 2.5 gallons of water in the brine tank. Each gallon of water = 3 lbs of salt.

There looks to be more than 2.5 gallons in the brine tank. Do you agree? If so, then back to what I already told you... either there is an air leak in the brine line or it's connections or the brine pickup OR the control valve has a problem as outlined in the troubleshooting guide in the manual.

You now have to make a choice... continue on your own and buy some parts and try to fix it.

OR get a local water treatment pro in there who is familiar with Autotrol control valves.

OR buy a new DIR control valve like a Fleck 5600 ($300 mechanical or $350 electronic)

OR buy a new softener.
0 Replies

ct water

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:02 pm
to get the air out of the brine line you need to put the regeneration to brine and refill. the water will flow into the brine tank. problem you are having is the safely float(brine shutoff) in the the salt tank is closing because everyone is telling you to add water. Push down on the float to release the air. Then manually forward to brine and rinse to see if the air is gone. Meaning the air check does not close until the brine is completely drawn down. You can manually forward the regeneration cycles by pressing the red regeneration button and counterclockwise turning the cam. Steve G
0 Replies

ct water

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:18 pm
@Email Shmemail,
the reason you got air is you disconnected the brine line from the brine valve located under the 3.5inch cover. the white part is a plastic ferrule. it is necessary to to seal the connection. follow my last reply forward to brine refill and exit the air into the salt tank. you do not need a new unit. all you need is for someone to explain how your unit works. Steve G
0 Replies

ct water

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 02:38 pm
@Email Shmemail,
that is a ferrule that seals the connection. the plastic brine line is flexible and compresses so the ferrule supports it. Put the control into brine refill and make sure the float in the brine tank is not shut. them put the control into brine and rinse to see if the air check does not draw air. you may have to do it more than once. Steve G
0 Replies

ct water

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 02:40 pm
@Email Shmemail,
That is a ferrule that seals the connection. The plastic brine line is flexible and compresses so the ferrule supports it. Put the control into brine refill and make sure the float in the brine tank is not shut. Them put the control into brine and rinse to see if the air check does not draw air. You may have to do it more than once. Steve G
Email Shmemail

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 02:09 am
@ct water,
Thanks Steve. I actually dont have any float in the brine tank. I did do the refill a few times to get the air out and its a hit or miss. Somtime it would draw all the brine out before it shuts off and other time it would close early. I finally think I found the problem. There might be an air leak in the connector to the air check. It would sometime work if I twist it a certain way. I probably just need unscrew the connector and add new plumbing tape to reseal it.
Having said all that I might have develope or found a new issue. I am getting some water leak right where you adjust the salt level during the refill stage. I don't think there's anthing I can tighten there.
0 Replies

Email Shmemail

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 02:07 am
So this thing's been working for what about a year since I posted this. Well guess what, last week I found all the resin in my toilet, clogging up my faucets and all over my lawn and backyard (I'm guessing from the sprinkler). I didn't even know the sprinkler system draw water from the softener. What a waste). It was a hassle trying to clean it out but I finally got all my faucet working now. With that being said, is it worth fixing or should I just get a whole new sytem and tank all together. Any suggestion??
0 Replies