What TV commercial do you hate the most?

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 08:11 am
There are a lot of commercials that annoy me, but the one that irks me the most is Korean Air Lines. For years, their commercials contain nothing but sexy clad young women and nothing about flying. It is so stupidly sexist. What does this say about men? Are they attracted by sexy women to choose an their air line? Why do the owners believe this attracts customers? How do women react to their sexist commercials.

What are your detested commercials?

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 9,384 • Replies: 21
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 08:40 am
Hands down , Progressive car insurance. I mute the sound when it gets played. And it gets played many times every day.
0 Replies

drillersmum

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:19 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
What TV commercial do I hate the most? All of the ones that I just "don't get". Also, if they are not funny they are worthless.
I accept that serious ads about health... cannot be funny. Ads to try and prevent stupid teenagers from drinking and driving and killing themselves and others.. they all get the OK tick from me.
But there are some that are just so worthless I am grateful that I have a mute button so I can turn the sound down/off. And if I record a tv show... I am able to fast-forward through the dreadful ads.
You ask.. "what TV commercial do I hate the most?"... I can't be very specific because I don't watch them... preferring to ignore them... and treat them with the contempt that they deserve. I watch "The Gruen Transfer" because they pick commercials to pieces. I like that.
We have to have them... tv ads, because that is what pays for the TV shows that I want to watch, but at times the ads make me so mad I refuse to buy their product simply because their ad was so awful, even if I may have wanted or liked to buy their product, I'll buy another brand. It's the only power I have.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 12:36 pm
I Tivo the few TV shows I want to watch, then fast-forward through the commercials, cutting down on viewing time considerably. Even the news. Only down side I can see is I probably miss the really funny commercials, but those are probably rare anyway.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 01:12 pm

" What TV commercial do you hate the most? "

Its not worth the trouble of hating.
I 'm hardly over hating the Kennedys yet; futile wasteful effort.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 01:15 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
I Tivo the few TV shows I want to watch, then fast-forward through the commercials, cutting down on viewing time considerably. Even the news. Only down side I can see is I probably miss the really funny commercials, but those are probably rare anyway.
I think Tivo is a wasteful rip off deal.
With video tape recorders or DVD recorders u don 't pay anyone
and u have infinite storage capacity.

David
djjd62

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 01:27 pm
ah, the beauty of watching only 1/2 hour of tv a day (nightly news) and occasionally TVO (a canadian public broacaster), almost no commercials to hate
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 01:29 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
ah, the beauty of watching only 1/2 hour of tv a day (nightly news)
and occasionally TVO (a canadian public broacaster), almost no commercials to hate
Some commercials r fun n helpful.

David
djjd62

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 01:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
i have gone to film festivals were only award winning commercials from around the world are shown, they were quite fun

when it comes to just plain old commercials trying to sell me something, i know the things i want to buy, and don't need to be told
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 02:29 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
If I were to be honest, I can't stand any, but particularily the advertisers that run their ad twice in a row.

Many advertisers would get a lot more folks to watch and pay attention if the appropriate ones had some humour in them.
Irishk

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 06:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I think Tivo is a wasteful rip off deal.

Oh, well I was using the word in the generic sense. We actually have a DVR from our cable company to record shows -- no subscription required, just a small rental fee.

I did remember a commercial I don't like. It's a Twix one, showing groups of people crunching on the bars. It grates for some reason...the sound. I probably sound manic lol.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 06:51 pm
I don't like the commercials praising medication for just about anything. First they build you up, then it's WHAMO, here are the side-effects. It's laughable, disgusting, too. Then, the handy lawyer's phone number for those medications that kill us.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:28 pm
SonofEva particularly hates the one that shows pitiful pictures of shelter dogs who will be euthanized if not adopted...the one with Sarah McLachlan singing "Angel" in the background. It just tears him up. He always leaves the room.
0 Replies

heathhutt

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 10:12 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I am agree with you.Today commercials become to way to show impress the viewer by nudity and sexist.this is bad way to attract any viewer. The commercials are attractive and innovative so that viewer get exact information about the things for which commercials are made.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 10:32 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
For years, their commercials contain nothing but sexy clad young women and nothing about flying.

I've never seen it, but that could possibly be my favorite commercial ever.

I find the Extenze "male enhancement" commercials rather annoying. And the various Free Credit Report.com ads.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 11:13 pm
Local car companies, dealerships, no matter where they may be situated, are the worst, no matter if they are on radio or TV. They are loud, obnoxious and on far too often.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 04:32 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
If I were to be honest, I can't stand any, but particularily the advertisers that run their ad twice in a row.

Many advertisers would get a lot more folks to watch and pay attention if the appropriate ones had some humour in them.
I have the OPPOSITE complaint.
Too ofen, merchants present commercials rife with humor [ ?? ]
or with musical noise, such that their commercial message
is defeated and I am frustrated in finding out how to use
what thay r selling and in subversion of clarity in
identifying what thay have to offer.

When I 'm in the market for the product, I wanna KNOW,
not to hear interfering music or someone 's idea of humor.

David
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 10:30 am
Parents as wimps/overindulged kids commercials. Hate them.

Can't remember the products.

Example: Mother is preparing dinner. Kid says he won't eat it. She orders in pizza. (Maybe it's a pizza ad.) This infuriates me.

I'd say that I'm sick of the Geico gecko, but I never understood what a reptile was doing selling insurance in the first place.

The woman in the Progressive Insurance ads is one of the most irritating, annoying human beings on the planet.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 11:34 am
Yeah. The gecko is also a pain.
0 Replies

drillersmum

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:00 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I hate the pepsimax ad about "going online and tell them (tell pepsimax) of your 'greatest experience'. I guess they will give the person with the greatest experience a great prize.

Then there is the beer ad... Neil Diamond singing "Hello Again". Love the song.. but cannot figure out the connection between the drinking of beer with mates and the song. Maybe I'm just as thick as 2 planks.

Then... the wrist watch ad... and the Creedence Clearwater song "Heard it on the grapevine" for a wrist watch ad. Most confusing. Again... thick??? LOVE Creedence Clearwater, so I get to hear a few moments of them, making me want to play their CD.
0 Replies