Let Me Make This Perfectly Clear.........

djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 04:53 pm
so Toronto mayoral candidate Rob Ford has been a bad boy

Rob Ford to Miami cop: 'Take me to jail'

Toronto mayoral candidate Rob Ford told a Miami police officer to "go ahead take me to jail" just before he was arrested in Florida 11 years ago on charges of drunk driving and marijuana possession, according to a police document.

An arrest affidavit written by a Miami-Dade police officer on Feb. 15, 1999, states that Ford's car was pulled over at 1:30 a.m. because its lights were off.

When the officer asked Ford for his licence and registration, Ford got out of the car, "threw his hands up in the air and said 'go ahead take me to jail,'" the affidavit said.

Ford also took out all of his money and threw it onto the ground, the officer wrote.

The officer noted that he could "smell a strong odour of an alcoholic beverage on his breath. His eyes were bloodshot."

Ford also appeared to be "acting nervous," and after searching him, the officer found a "marijuana joint" in his right rear pants pocket.

Speaking at a Thursday morning news conference that he called to address an article in the Toronto Sun in which he admitted to being charged with marijuana possession after the incident, Ford revealed he also pleaded guilty to refusing to give a breath sample.

"I guess I had a few drinks at [a] Valentine's dinner with my wife. And it was a mistake. I shouldn't have been driving," he said.

Ford said he was fined and had to do 50 hours of community service as a result of his plea. He fulfilled that requirement by coaching football.

He said he was arrested, booked and then released, and never had to appear in court to face the marijuana charge.

'Forgot' marijuana charge

When the Sun first asked him about the incident, he denied ever being charged. But he later backtracked after being provided with Florida state records of his arrest, saying he "completely forgot" about the episode.

"When somebody discusses [the marijuana charge] with me, the first thing that pops into my head was failing to provide a breath sample," Ford said Thursday.

Polls suggest Ford is among the frontrunners in the race to replace outgoing Mayor David Miller in the Oct. 25 municipal election. The other major mayoral candidates are Coun. Joe Pantalone, former Liberal Party national director Rocco Rossi, former Ontario health minister George Smitherman and publisher Sarah Thomson.

"I am not perfect. I have never claimed to be perfect," Ford said. "I truly believe this election is not about mistakes I made 11½ years ago — by me or by any other candidate that has made mistakes. It's about today and tomorrow."

Ford said he doesn't have a criminal record, but confirmed he had been charged with criminal offences two other times. When he was 18, he was charged with assault in relation to a hockey fight, but the charge was dismissed.

In 2008, he was charged with assault and uttering a death threat against his wife. Both of those charges were later withdrawn.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/2010/08/19/ford-marijuana-possession-charge489.html#ixzz0x5x8iTTY

so should politicians come clean right from the start, or wait and hope they don't get found out, and does this sort of thing even matter

what would be a deal breaker for you in a politicians past
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,614 • Replies: 12

Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 05:11 pm
@djjd62,
did he inhale?
djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 05:12 pm
@Rockhead,
not sure, he didn't blow (the breathalyzer that is)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 05:40 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
... so should politicians come clean right from the start, or wait and hope they don't get found out ...

Interesting question, dj. Let me think about it for a minute.

Getting found out (eventually) often depends on how important they end up becoming as a politician & also how many friends they have in high places. Say nothing of how many enemies they've made along the way, obviously.

Quote:

Well not like something smoking dope at university! Smile

Perhaps something that I considered seriously contradicted their public stance on particular issues. (Like a politician who'd entered office with a strong platform of fighting crime & corruption, but turned out to have a less than spotless personal history in this area him/herself? I suspect there might a few of them around. Wink )

0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 06:02 pm
@djjd62,
I wouldn't be too concerned if they had been charged with something in the past. It could be something that they were truly not guilty of. I remember being accused of a crime many years ago that I had absolutely nothing to do with. Fortunately, the authorities saw it this way too before any charges were made.

If past transgressions resulted in criminal charges and conviction, I would be most concerned. Those that either attempt to hide, cover up or claim ignorance when they are found out would be off my list, regardless of how I intended to vote beforehand.

Nobody forgets being charged with something. Ford chose to try to hide the marijuana thing. That, in my opinion, is worse that being charged with the marijuana possession.

0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:00 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
Let Me Make This Perfectly Clear.........

Hmm, is it possible to make something imperfectly clear? Confused Wink
roger

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:22 pm
@Reyn,
You must be new here.
laughoutlood

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:47 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:

if he didn't have one
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:49 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

You must be new here.

I'm too old to be new. Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 08:50 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

When the Sun first asked him about the incident, he denied ever being charged.

<snip>

In 2008, he was charged with assault and uttering a death threat against his wife.

these are the deal breakers for me with Ford.

The first one would be the deal breaker with any politician. Lying about something on the public record. Lying, and being stupid. Not a good combo for someone who wants to be a leader.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 12:15 pm
@ehBeth,
They discussed this on CHCH News this morning and they said much the same as I did in my original post.

The concensus was that he would have been much better off being up front at the beginning rather than trying to cover his ass now.

The question was asked that if a politician was an excellent fiscal manager or had some other trait or skill that would be beneficial to the city of Toronto, would that trait or skill trump the past charges.
The answer was that this happens all the time in politics and the fiscal management would trump the charges.

One pundant suggested that most things are forgiven of politians except for murder as in the case of Colin Thatcher. Remember Colin killing his wife in Saskatchewan?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 12:16 pm
@Intrepid,
Well, Ford's long suit seems to be being a loud-mouth. Maybe that's enough to get him in. Worked for Lastman.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 12:20 pm
@ehBeth,
I never heard of him before djs post. I saw him on the news this morning and I was not impressed. If I still lived in Toronto, he would not be getting my vote.

Assault regarding a hockey game at 18 is one thing but the assault, or alleged assault, on his wife two years ago would be a deal breaker for me too.

Mel was weird, but I liked Mel. I remember when they opened the Bad Boy store on Parliament Street in the mid fifties. They gave everybody, including kids without parents with them, hot dogs and cokes. Smile
0 Replies