Favorite Opening or Closing Movie Themes

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 05:48 pm
Often, some movies we associate by the themes, and the themes often take on a separate life .
i have two favorites

OPENING THEME _The Big Country-A very big theme for a very big movie. I never saw it in a theater but had the pleasure of seeing it in a format in a friends home "media room" The sound was fantastic, the movie was pretty good also. i forgot what Burl Ives could do besides sing Jimmy Crack Corn

CLOSING THEME_the Ghost and the Darkness- brings shivers to my spine whenever I hear it.

NOT ALLOWED -totally copped themes like uhhhh, the use of the Ode To joy from Ludwigs 9th, scammed by the Bruce Willis Die Hard series. Or Carmena Burana from the Omen. Im talking original or well adapted scores.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,589 • Replies: 37
No top replies

yeahman

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 11:49 pm
opening themes of reservoir dogs (the song is "little green bag") and pulp fiction are the only ones that really stick out in my mind.

and the closing theme of gangs of new york was memorable and much better than the movie itself in my opinion. the song was the instrumental version of "the hands that built america" by u2.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 06:10 am
ye110, thanks, I think this thread is just goin nowhere.A3's version of woke up this moorning, theme from the Sopranos, is one that I like also.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 06:31 am
The opening music from "Gone With The Wind" is haunting. I suppose that the reason it it so memorable, is that it was used as the theme for a TV show called, "Million Dollar Movie", which showed blockbusters of the day.

The beginning of the film, 2001, Thus Spoke Zarathustra really sets the mood that something cosmic is happening. (I have always wondered if many people have ever heard the rest of the piece.)

0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 06:32 am
I just love the opening music of James Bond !!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 06:38 am
Yeah! Especially the early ones, with Sean Connery!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:49 am
I find that most of R Strauss music is , a few moments of really great theme surrounded by interminable hours and hours of boring passages.

He is the only composer that I would love to have a CD that blows through all the boring stuff and gets to the good stuff, Like Ein Heldenleben, Its like a phone book with a tool catalog in the center (its the only metaphor I could think of this AM)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:51 am
Yeh the James Bond themes were pretty good , but did you ever listen to any of the words? They are totally stupid. Think about
GOLDFINGER

such a cold finger

I think that the lyricist was tripping when writing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:55 am
farmerman- I love your analogy, and I agree. I feel the same way about Bruckner. He goes on interminably. When I am sure that the piece will be ending, and I am really relieved, it goes on hours longer. (so it seems)

At least Strauss does throw in a lallapalooza of a tune somewhere in his pieces!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 05:56 am
The Hot Spot
Run Lola Run
Closing theme from Buckaroo Banzai
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 06:52 am
Ill have to find these SP, I wonder if there is a site with movie themes?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 06:55 am
farmerman- Try this:

http://www.themez.co.uk/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi?tsearch=a

http://moviethemes.net/
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:24 pm
Saturday Night Fever opened with "Staying Alive," one of my favs by the BeeGees.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:37 pm
When I went to see AMADEUS I had never been a classical music fan.
But I saw it in a huge theatre with only six people...when the opening theme played I almost lost it..I found it haunting and beautiful.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:54 pm
Yes, the Bond opennings are always a big part of the movies. And the Sopranos openning song makes me want to smoke a cigar whenever I hear it.
I liked the closing to the Professional/Leon (Shape of My Heart by Sting).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 12:04 am
Oooh, have to agree with SealPoet on Run Lola Run.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 06:40 am
Nuthin I like better than to put on the A3 CD and play the nsOpranos theme song whenever i pullup to a turnpike ticket booth.
EY You izza EZ PASS , KEEP GOIN.
EYYY FUGGEDABOUDID
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:10 am
The Closing Theme to Antartica by Vangelis when the two dogs believed to be dead are spotted on top of a snowy peak always gives me chills. Laughing

The opening theme to Duel in the Sun (actually all the music in that film composed by Dimitri Tiomkin).

The opening theme to Streetcar Named Desire by Alex North

The Closing Theme of Crocodile Dundee. Love it.

The Closing Theme of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Farmerman - Perhaps you should ask what themes affected us the first time we heard them, because so many have been overplayed we don't really appreciate them anymore. The first time I heard these, I got goosebumps:

The opening theme of Chariots of Fire
Gone with the Wind
Dr. Zhivago

too many to mention here (lol)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:23 pm
Mission Impossible. It was so good to hear it again, first of all cause it had been a jam on the small screen but at the theatre, all pumped up, it sounded fantastic! Some of us broke out into applause. Laughing
0 Replies

Beelzel

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 05:42 pm
Extensive site of music, including movies ... most are free ... otherwise low prices.
Dunno if this will keep me(us) out of the vindictive RIAA lawyer radar Twisted Evil ...

Give it a look, OK, opening page is/might be in Russian, but the top left will change to English.

Edit (Moderator): Link removed
0 Replies