Favorite Opening or Closing Movie Themes

bigdice67

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 05:47 pm
Opening of Blues Brothers- She Caught the Katy, sung by John Belushi.

My Favourite movie of all time, actually a musical if you really look at it- tons of really good music.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 08:02 pm
yeh those two fat dudes could really have a great old rock and blues duo, To bad belushis still dead.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 08:03 pm
the greatest theme music I ever listened to, bar none--Theme from the Man with the Golden Arm---composed by Elmer Bernstein "the score was groundbreaking in it's day, reflecting the tightness of the film with it's palpitating, sometimes sinister jazz and symphonic arrangements. The jazz sequences are arranged and played by Shorty Rogers and His Giants with Shelley Manne. 2001."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:39 pm
The opening theme from "Jaws," of course.

The Korngold fanfare on the titles of "King's Row" is electrifying.

The closing theme music from "Alien," very much akin to the Neptune section of Holst's "The Planets" is a chilling evocation of infinity.

The opening electronic Vangelis score for "Blade Runner" and I agree with Raggedy about the Vangelis score for "Antartica." After looking for it on CD for years, I could only find it on a $30.00 release out of Japan. It's worth it -- the theme of the dogs running across the snow is invigorating and forbodding at the same time.

The "Star Wars" opening theme as I remember it when the starship appears to fly over your head and into the screen.

Annie Lenox's singing "Into the West" over the credits of "The Return of the King" is poignantly beautiful.

"The Ghost and the Darkness" music, btw farmerman, won the Oscar.

Also by Kornkold, the beguiling theme of "The Prince and the Pauper" has always been a favorite and the entire Violin Concerto based on the themes is available on CD.

So may and not enough space!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:40 pm
Oh, and I forgot and just mentioned it elsewhere, the opening credit "flying theme" from "The Blue Max."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:48 pm
How could any thread on great opening theme music go on this long without any mention of "The Magnificent Seven"? For shame, people!

As for closing music, I really don't pay that much attention to it. I suppose I'd nominate "Animal House."

"Do the Bluto, do the Bluto!"
0 Replies

vroonika

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:51 pm
Ooh tis cool that other people have mentioned 'Run Lola Run.' I've always liked the use of music in that film, particularly the opening music. I can't think of other film music at the mo which has captivated me especially...tis too late and my brain has stopped...
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 05:04 pm
Lighwizard: I bought the CD, Vangelis Themes quite some time ago, but I did find it listed here: (I've never ordered any from this site.)

http://www.101cd.com/imports/nwinfo.asp?id=83951872

It also has Bladerunner theme. Actually, they're all good.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 05:34 pm
The Opening to Kill Bill - not really the opening but when the credits start running. Awesome song.

Ending- Jurassic Park.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 05:37 pm
The close of "Dr. Strangelove" with Vera Lynn (I believe) singing "We'll Meet Again." Poignant, it was, and why not? The world was coming to an end...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 05:47 pm
We watched Open Range last night. its theme was one of those big sky themes . Loved it. the movie was sorta Ok but too many cliches.

I did not know that the Ghost and the Darkness was an Oscar Winner. Did the theme for "The Big Country get any nominations ? I think ist was made in the 50s
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 10:34 am
"North By Northwest" and "El Dorado" are two favorites.

Also, "Vertigo" and the orginal "Planet of the Apes" from the 60s had interesting opening themes.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 11:29 am
Big Country awards and nominations

The score was nominated and Burl Ives won Best Supporting Actor...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 02:05 pm
The score was up against Tiomkin's for "The Old Man and the Sea," one of his more forgettable scores. It should have won the Oscar and I believe it only the composers voted on the winner like they vote to place the nominees, the score would have won hands down. "The Big Country" wasn't even nominated as Best Picture and, of course, that went to "Gigi."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 05:34 pm
Tiomkin, oh yeh. I remember a movie called THE WILD RIVER, somethin about the TVA and an old woman who wouldnt relocate. There was another good theme . I cant remember the movie , but I could play the theme. Is that some part of your brain connected to the "smell memory" center?

There was also a very good rendition of IN THE PINES in that movie sung s capella
0 Replies

kaylee8

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 06:02 pm
The music over the opening credits of BLACKBOARD JUNGLE, knocked everybody for six in the fifties, Bill Hayley and his comets ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK.

Who ever decided on that music, was a genius.

That was the real begining of rock-n-roll in Europe in the fifties.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 06:13 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
How could any thread on great opening theme music go on this long without any mention of "The Magnificent Seven"? For shame, people!

Yeah, Joe! Just thinking about makes me reach to my shirt pocket for a Marlboro, even tho I quit over twenty years ago.

I also love "Exodus".
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 07:28 pm
I watched the four Rocky movies the other night and I still love the Rocky theme.

I like the Christopher Reeve Superman theme, too.
0 Replies