Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 07:10 pm
@dlowan,
Nah, I wouldn't expect it would be, Deb.

That sort of "special treatment" is reserved for women politicians who are reckless enough to rise above their proper, designated positions. (Like Julia, Joan Kirner, Carmen Lawrence, etc ...)

The media will be much more respectful of Bob Carr.
He's a bloke, afterall. Wink

margo

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 07:38 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Though, on the credit side, Carr looks pretty damn good when compared to the NSW Labor leaders who followed him! Wink

Ya gotta know when to hold 'em; know when to fold 'em!

That was his skill - he got out before anyone realised what a bloody debacle he'd presided over!

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 07:43 pm
@margo,
Well, margo, as a NSW insider, you would know much better than I do about these things. Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 09:26 pm
@msolga,
Oh, I think SHE was the debacle. I agree re press treatment of women, but I think Cheryl was massively problematic.

Now....I have missed this Carr thing.

Last time I paid semi attention Julia was in trouble for saying he wasn't being considered when that was a lie.

Now he's being announced as our new Foreign Minister and someone called Smith has apparently been trampled.

Is Julia still in trouble for lying?

How has the Carr thing been greeted?
dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 09:27 pm
@margo,
margo wrote:

msolga wrote:

Though, on the credit side, Carr looks pretty damn good when compared to the NSW Labor leaders who followed him! Wink

Ya gotta know when to hold 'em; know when to fold 'em!

That was his skill - he got out before anyone realised what a bloody debacle he'd presided over!

Like Nifty?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 10:24 pm
@dlowan,
I don't know about that, Deb.
I think Cheryl K's affair with a prominent Labor politician at the time had a lot to do with the flack & fall-out which occurred.

My recollection was that that her problems with the ALP came to a head when she complained publicly about landing a very marginal seat to contest in the following election. The ALP was in the business of recruiting "celebrities" (with little history in the party) at the time & gave most of them them a pretty easy run. Not so for Cheryl Kernott. I believe she was treated pretty shabbily at the time by the ALP, for whatever reasons. She had considerable credibility as a Democrat prior to the debacle with the ALP. Her political career was ruined.

As to Julia & the "Carr issue":

Yes, she denied that Carr was being considered for the foreign affairs position... just before Carr was endorsed in the position.

Who knows what happened & why?
I certainly don't.

But, when you think about it ... why shouldn't the ALP leadership be talking to those they consider the best replacements for Mark Arbib? What is actually wrong with having done that?

Nothing, really
Bob Carr is a respected part of the ALP establishment.
He would be considered a viable & respectable choice within the ALP.

The real question, I think, is WHY is considering him as a replacement for Mark Arbib should be considered some sort of conspiracy by the likes of Michelle Grattan & co?
What were the alternative replacements?
Possibly he was the best alternative available.

As to Gillard denying he was being considered ....
Perhaps at that stage of negotiations it appeared that he would not take the position?
In any case, political parties conduct these sorts of behind-the-scenes negotiations all the time.
Usually they are kept within the party until the negotiations reach some conclusion the party is happy with.
Not so in this case.

It seems to me that the the Gillard government is being subject to highly unusual scrutiny. Special treatment. I can't recall too many other governments (or opposition parties) being subject to the same level of day-by-day scrutiny.

Something very different is happening here.

And if the political commentators apply the blow torch to Labor in this way, why are they not doing exactly the same to the Liberal Party?
Why are they not relentlessly pursuing Abbott & co about what their (so far) wishy washy "policies" will actually mean for ordinary Australians?
Why are they not relentlessly querying the LNP about the likely losses of jobs as a result of their policies?
Why are they not doggedly pursuing Tony Abbott to explain how he is actually going to fund his promises to the electorate (if the "mining tax" goes out the window if his government is elected)?

I am sick & tired of the one way blow torch.
And I am sick & tired of any issue within the Labor government being blown totally out of proportion by the media!

-
dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 10:38 pm
@msolga,
So...it's still a drama?

I had major problems with Cheryl WAAAAAAAY before the Labor affair.

I don't think politicians should tell lies. Sounds as though she did? Then she shot herself in the foot.

I agree about the differential treatment....but it sounds as though she told a direct lie?
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 10:46 pm
@dlowan,
No, Cheryl is not still a drama.
(Not that I'm a member of the ALP, I am talking about media commentary)

I commented only because of your post.
dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 10:47 pm
@msolga,
I'm not asking if Cheryl is still a drama, I am asking if the Carr thing is still a drama? And if Gillard told a direct lie?
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 10:49 pm
@dlowan,
It depends on which side you're on, Deb.

If drama & division is required, some commentators will always find it. Wink

I have seen quite a few articles about Julia's "coup" of landing Carr for her team.

A positive, apparently.

Me, I don't care too much about stories like that.

I'm a policy-inspired/driven girl! Smile
dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 10:54 pm
@msolga,
Just checked The Age, which certainly sees it as a coup for Julia.

Damned if I know.
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:12 pm
@dlowan,
I think if consideration & fairness were an issue, then Stephen Smith would have gotten his foreign affairs job back ......

BUT, politics being politics ... Bob Carr was deemed to be the more successful (& higher profile in Oz) option ....

So there you go.
That is how these things work.
We can't change that.

But me, I worry so much more about the prospect of an Abbott-led government in the not-too-distant future, if Labor does not improve its standing in the community.

Which will not be an easy thing to achieve, with the type of media "reporting" we currently have in this country.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 06:01 am
http://media.crikey.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/AndTheWinnerIs.jpg

Abbott: I will be next elected PM:
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/abbott-i-will-be-next-elected-pm-20120304-1ub5f.html
dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 07:21 am
@msolga,
I find it distressing to see Abbot portrayed as one of my own kind.

That's all likely to come true, you know.

I hope he isn't wearing his speedos when he turns his back on the poor Aboriginal child...they've suffered enough.
msolga

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 07:23 am
@dlowan,
It's not gonna happen, Deb.

It had damn well better not happen!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 05:19 pm
This charming fellow is Marshall Baillieu, cousin of Victoria's Liberal premier, Ted Baillieu. And also a former federal parliamentarian. The Baillieus are one of our born-to-rule, wealthy establishment families.

He's giving the finger to a handful of nurses, who had stopped work to protest the government's abysmal "negotiations" (months now) with the nurses' union over a long-overdue pay rise & also likely horrendous worsening of conditions in Victoria's public hospitals. (the funding cuts to public schools have been huge, too.)

BTW, be warned, the rest of you. This Victorian Liberal government is following the likely Abbott/Liberal Plan religiously. Cutting funding to just about anything which doesn't fit the conservative agenda. Huge cuts in public sector spending in the name of cautious, "responsible" government.
I have never seem so many broken promises from a newly elected government, in such a short time! (interestingly, the AGE (our supposedly "liberal" Victorian newspaper) has not given nearly as much publicity to what this government has actually done & is still doing .... the pre-election "promises" rapidly tossed aside, as it has to the "JuLIAR" nonsense coming from federal politics.

Anyway, be warned.
I'm absolutely serious.

Quote:
http://images.theage.com.au/2012/03/06/3101772/thumb169-408x264.jpg

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/03/06/3103207/marshall-baillieu-420x0.jpg
Marshall Baillieu gives protesting nurses 'the bird' while his second cousin, Premier Ted Baillieu, launches the biography of a family legend. Photo: Justin McManus

-

Disrespect all round as Premier's cousin weighs in:
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/disrespect-all-round-as-premiers-cousin-weighs-in-20120306-1uigf.html

-
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 05:21 pm
@msolga,
http://images.theage.com.au/2012/03/06/3103204/tandberg-news0703-200x0.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 08:33 pm
@msolga,
History repeating itself? Remember Jeff (how could you forget)? - Massive migration from Victoria to SE Queensland?

I wonder where 'Ted's Shed' will be...
msolga

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 12:37 am
@hingehead,
It's quite different this time, hinge.
Or the approach is, anyway ....
Kennett made no secret of his plans to slash & burn the public sector, but Baillieu promised to "restore integrity", say nothing of "transparency" to government.
Ha!
Amongst other things he (Baillieu) promised to make Victoria's poorly paid teachers "the best paid in Australia" ..... to cut government secrecy, etc, etc ....
And almost immediately reneged on heaps on what he'd promised, very quietly ... softly, softly ....
And opted for "fiscal responsibility" & ferocious budget cuts. And yet more government secrecy & deals with business.
I didn't vote for the Libs (of course!) but the past Labor government was so on the nose that even I was prepared to give the Libs a go when they won the last election by a very small margin.
Silly me!
Silly us!
When you vote for a Liberal government, you end up with Liberal policies, it's as simple as that.
To anyone who believes Julia Gillard is a "liar", just check out the Victorian Liberal's pre-election promises & compare them to what we actually got! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I wonder where 'Ted's Shed' will be...

Hard to know at this stage, but I think it's safe to say that it will be built on public land, will be completely inappropriate for the site & one of the crony developers will get the contract to build it. Then some very determined freedom of information searches will be required to reveal the details of the tendering process! Neutral
-
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:29 am
Same story/two very different headlines from two different sources.:
(I'm with the ABC's version.)

Smith stands by criticism of ADFA chief:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-07/smith-stands-behind-adfa-comments/3874968

Smith forced into a backdown on head of military college:
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/smith-forced-into-a-backdown-on-head-of-military-college-20120307-1ujt4.html