Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 12:52 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
Just reporting and commenting on the questions and answers like Abbott saying how can she lead the ALP when a third of the caucus don't want her - and her responding that he was voted in a majority of one.....

She also could have said (if the ABC journos were correct) that she received the strongest endorsement from her parliamentary colleagues of any Labor leader in recent history.

She also stitched up Julie Bishop very nicely (after being accused of changing her position on the carbon tax) .... by declaring that Bishop had done the exact same thing: supported it while in the Howard government (because it was Liberal policy then) , then changing her mind when Abbott changed the Lib's policy ....

As for Mr Slipper: his was a masterful performance in tough circumstances!
I can't believe I'm actually saying that! Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 12:54 am
@Procrustes,
No?
Sorry to hear that, Procrustes.

You said you didn't like politics much?
Procrustes

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 01:01 am
@msolga,
Don't get me wrong, I watch the ABC news 24 and question time but I'm afraid my point of view on politics is quite cynical.
msolga

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 01:03 am
@Procrustes,
As a matter of fact, so is mine! Smile Wink
Procrustes

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 02:23 am
@msolga,
Q and A is on tonight. It will be an interesting episode...
msolga

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 07:23 am
http://images.theage.com.au/2012/02/27/3077575/ipad-art-wide-tandberg-420x0.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 02:04 pm
@Procrustes,
Not as interesting as I'd hoped. Barnaby didn't go as red as I like him too, but lots of eye rolling.

Albrechtsen's hypocrisy always astounds me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 06:12 pm
Another surprise development!:

Quote:
Carr offered Arbib's senate spot - but he'd want foreign affairs: source
February 28, 2012 - 11:07AM/the AGE

The former NSW premier, Bob Carr, has been approached to take Mark Arbib's spot in the Senate and could be offered the Foreign Affairs portfolio.

Senior sources say Mr Carr has been approached by the NSW Right to fill the casual vacancy created by Senator Arbib's shock departure.

While he has not given a final decision, it is understood he has requested the portfolio as a condition of accepting.

The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, is planning a reshuffle of her ministy after yesterday's leadership ballot and Senator Arbib's resignation. ...<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/carr-offered-arbibs-senate-spot--but-hed-want-foreign-affairs-source-20120228-1tzvm.html

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 10:17 pm
@msolga,

No, apparently not.

Labor kills off bid to install Carr in Arbib's senate spot:
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/labor-kills-off-bid-to-install-carr-in-arbibs-senate-spot-20120228-1tzvm.html
hingehead

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 10:28 pm
@msolga,
Then again, yes.

Bob Carr is our new minister for Foreign Affairs
http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2012/s3444031.htm
That should make the Americans happy anyway - he's such a nerdy geek fan of american history.
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 05:01 am
@hingehead,
Can't help but feel sorry for poor ol Stephen Smith.
Pushed aside last time as a peace offering to Rudd & now this (I understand that this is the only portfolio that Carr was interested in) ....
Ah well, them are the breaks, I guess ...
Builder

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 05:09 am
@msolga,
I'm up in the Kimberley boondocks again, Msolga. Can you tell me why the media is saying that Carr had to be "brought in" to fill this position? What was he up to before this job offer came up for him?
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 05:25 am
@Builder,
G'day, Builder.
Good to see you again. Smile

I'm not sure which media is saying he had to be brought into this position.
But my thinking would be that, as Mark Arbib is from the NSW Right, then his replacement had to be someone who was acceptable to them.
There was also some talk of Peter Beattie as Arbib's replacement for a while yesterday.
Me, I don't know why the Labor government has reverted to retired state politicians.
Maybe Carr is considered a vote-winner with the NSW electorate? Or a safe, proven performer?
In any case, I think NSW Labor would have had to give their blessing to Arbib's replacement.
Seems rather a 'back to the future' decision to me.
I'm not sure what exactly he's been doing during the past few years.
Maybe hinge knows?

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 06:41 am
@Builder,
Carr is a smart guy with an American history fetish. Stephen Smith a smart guy who just might be able to transition defence into a vaguely non-homophobe/femophobe organisation (at least at the top level). I honestly believe Smith is more value where he is - in a particularly difficult portfolio (I don't think the department has liked a minister since Beazley and that's early 90s).
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 06:51 am
@hingehead,
You are probably right, hinge.
But it sounds like Stephen would be happier with his old portfolio. Smile
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 05:28 pm
@msolga,
Checking out today's cartoonist's contributions on this Saturday morning ..:

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/03/02/3090465/pope-March-3-600x400.jpg
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 05:30 pm
@msolga,
http://images.theage.com.au/2012/03/02/3089843/port-Moir-600x400.jpg
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 06:14 pm
Well, he certainly wasn't a vote winner here - he presided over an earlier collapse of the Labor Party, then jumped early.

I think he's been working for Macquarie Bank for a while!
dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 06:58 pm
@margo,
I hope this isn't like the Great Kernot Kerfuffle.
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 07:02 pm
@margo,
Though, on the credit side, Carr looks pretty damn good when compared to the NSW Labor leaders who followed him! Wink

And versatile! A banker, a former ABC journo ....
And maybe other things, too!