Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 10:06 pm
@hingehead,
What happened to the purse strings in his old job?
hingehead

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 10:31 pm
@msolga,
I know of two projects he threw money at (or encouraged money to be thrown at) against the advice of his department through either what he thought was political expediency or inexperienced stupidity/naivety. Needless to say the outcomes were zilch. No more pissing contests with Macklin. That said his ministerial staff ain't so bad.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 02:44 pm
Congratulations, Penny & Sophie!
Welcome to the world, Alexandra! Smile

Quote:
Wong's joyous vote for new parenthood
Katharine Murphy
December 14, 2011/the AGE

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/12/13/2837315/wong-baby-420x0.jpg
Early arrival: Senator Penny Wong holds hands with new daughter Alexandra in Adelaide as partner Sophie Allouache looks on.

WHILE Canberra was mesmerised with the base plots and B-grade intrigues of an end-of-year cabinet reshuffle, Penny Wong and Sophie Allouache were preoccupied with their own epochal moment - the joy of new parenthood.

The most anticipated newborn in federal politics - baby Alexandra - entered the world quietly, two weeks early, on Sunday at the Women's and Children's Hospital in Adelaide.

It was a natural delivery for first-time mother Ms Allouache, a public servant. The ebullience of the new parents is captured in the above photo.

''My partner, Sophie Allouache, and I are thrilled to welcome the arrival of our baby daughter, Alexandra, born in Adelaide on December 11,'' the Finance Minister said last night in a statement.

''Both mother and baby are happy and healthy. Like any family welcoming a new addition, we are looking forward to spending time at home together and ask for our privacy to be respected at this time.''

The ever private Wong was still in the process of delivering the news to political colleagues last night. Prime Minister Julia Gillard led the congratulations.

''I am thrilled for Penny and Sophie - this is wonderful news, and Alexandra is beautiful and a source of joy,'' she said.

Despite the recent affirmation of gay marriage by Labor's national conference - a debate in which Senator Wong played a high-profile advocacy role - the Finance Minister has said consistently she does not want her personal life to be a political statement.

Yesterday Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd's sister, Loree Rudd, 61, quit the ALP, saying she could not support a party that ''endorsed homosexuals marrying''.

In confirming Ms Allouache's pregnancy this year, Senator Wong said: ''I can understand for some people it may give rise to a whole range of political and policy comment … the way I want to approach this in my own head has been to be very clear about the distinction between what is political and what is personal, what is my public life and what is my private life. I don't want to engage in the policy debate about these issues in the context of something that is so deeply personal and so lovely.''

Alexandra was conceived through IVF. The father will be known to the child.

Wong's joyous vote for new parenthood:
http://www.theage.com.au/national/wongs-joyous-vote-for-new-parenthood-20111213-1ot8m.html

-
Dutchy

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 02:59 pm
@msolga,
With respect to both ladies I totally disapprove! Unnatural being my reason! I have no doubt the child will lack in nothing and will be loved and looked after but the environment she grows up in is against my beliefs. The same goes for the reverse situation where 2 men adopt a child. Not on in my books.
msolga

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 03:10 pm
@Dutchy,
Yes, you've said that before, Dutchy.
In my book, a child raised by loving, caring parents, whatever their gender/s is a fortunate child.
So we will have to agree to disagree, yes?
Let's not beat each other up over this issue, it being so close to Christmas & all .... Wink Smile
-
Dutchy

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 03:15 pm
@msolga,
Ofcouse not msolga would never beat you up, you're such a gentle soul. I merely stated my point and that's it, no further comment. Yes Christmas can't come quick enough, will be flying over to PL and spend it with my son and family. He enticed me with fresh Crayfish. LOL
msolga

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 03:15 pm
@msolga,
.... not that I think you're a "beating up" type of person at all! Smile Wink
Neither am I, for that matter.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 03:16 pm
@Dutchy,
Ha.
You beat me to it, Dutchy!
You're quick!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 03:38 pm
Checking out today's cartoonists' contributions ...
Moir's comments on Julia's cabinet reshuffle & various promotions & demotions.

Personally I'm quite impressed with some of promotions .... Tanya Plibersek (to Minister for Human Services and Social Inclusion). I've always seen her as a a very effective politician. And, as I mentioned in an earlier post, Nicola Roxon as our new attorney-general. She's been a good, hardworking minister in her previous portfolio & I'm confident she'll do well in her new one. (she'll be our first woman attorney-general, too, btw).

As for the demotion of Kim Carr .... yep, politically motivated, I think. Also not exactly encouraging to the left of of the ALP & the say they'll have in the new cabinet. He is/was a Rudd supporter. I'm really wondering is Kevin Rudd as much of a threat to Julia's continuing leadership of Labor as all the political commentators believe him to be? Still confused by all this because I just can't see it myself ....

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/12/13/2835842/1_gillard9-620x0.jpg

-
msolga

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 03:42 pm
@msolga,
Another (just now published) Moir:

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/12/14/2837804/Moir12-620x0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 03:52 pm
Meanwhile, over at LNP HQ ....

The forthcoming vote on the gay marriage bill next year is being debated ...
Will the Libs allow a a conscience vote, as Labor has?
And what sort of influence will religious beliefs have on their leader's decision on a conscience vote? Wink

Tandberg:

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/12/13/2836095/Tandberg-Tony-Dec-13-600x400.jpg

-
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 04:31 pm
I don't like beating up on Dutchy at all. But 'unnatural' isn't a reason - almost every part of our lives is 'unnatural' - from clothes, cooked food, cars, reading, bread, flying, talking, modern politics ( Wink ), IVF babies, prosthetics, blood transfusions, caesarians, organ transplants, religion, money, houses, schools, hospitals.

I'm sure he can find a better word to describe his unease (which it is his right to have). I think what counts is our humanity. And a kid with two loving parents is better off than two who don't care, or one struggling and juggling, or none.

For generations there are women and men who married, but later 'discovered' their homosexuality and who continued raising their kids in supportive environments. I say ask the kids.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 05:34 am
@msolga,
MPs' payrise again.

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/12/17/2846005/port-wilcox-600x400.jpg
msolga

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 05:53 am
Meanwhile, in Victoria ...

Quote:
Victorian nurses are threatening to resign en masse in a dramatic escalation of their pay dispute with the State Government.

Victorian nurses threaten mass resignations:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-16/victorian-nurses-threaten-to-resign-en-masse/3735768

Partly because of this:
They've been negotiating with the government for months & this was sprung on them out of the blue .... meaning a considerable worsening of conditions for them (& other public sector workers) & a long over-due payrise vanishing down the gurgler. They are furious!

Quote:
One in ten jobs will be cut from Victoria's public service, over the next two years.

The State Government has released the mid-year budget update forecasting a surplus of $1.3 billion by 2014 - 2015

Victorian Government to cut 3,500 jobs:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-15/state-government-to-make-32c500-redundant/3733364

How many pre-election promises from Victoria's Liberal government now?
Quite a few!
The thought of a federal Liberal government as well is truly a hideous thought ...
It'd take us right back to the worst of the Kennett era.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 06:22 am
@msolga,
God I love Cath Wilcox.
msolga

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 06:22 am
@hingehead,
I know you do. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 08:52 pm
Terrible situation for asylum seekers in the sea off Java (Indonesia).
It certainly looks like most of them perished.

I've just listened to feedback from callers to ABC radio.
It's all about politics, it seems.
It's the "people smugglers' " fault.
It's all the Labor government's fault.
The Liberals are even worse.
Indonesia's fault.
Why don't they (the asylum seekers) stay in Muslim countries?
We can't afford to support them all.
We should let anyone who wants to enter Australia come ...

I had to turn it off.
Very depressing.

Quote:
180 still missing after asylum boat sinking
Updated December 19, 2011 12:51:43
By George Roberts in East Java, staff/ABC news online

Australian search teams and police officers are heading to the area where an overcrowded boat full of asylum seekers sank on Saturday, killing as many as 180 people.

The vessel, carrying as many as 215 people, sank in rough seas off the coast of Prigi in East Java.

Indonesia rescue officials say 33 people have survived, while the Australian Government says it has been informed of 86 survivors. ...<cont>

The ABC understands that most of those on board were Afghans and Iranians. The boat is believed to have been heading to Australia.

It is the second time since the start of November that an overloaded asylum-seeker vessel has sunk off Java.

This morning Indonesia accepted Australia's offer of help in the search for survivors, and a surveillance plane and Navy ship are heading to the area.

Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare confirmed that Australian Federal Police officers were also on their way to Java to help in the hunt for the people smugglers who organised the boat.

He said the AFP officers were being sent at the request of Indonesian police.

"You've got people smugglers that act with a callous disregard for human life and the only way to tackle this effectively if you've got police forces in Australia and in Indonesia, police forces across the region, working very closely together," he told AM.

"The search went on till midnight last night, and they'll continue to search today aided by Australian assistance," he said.

"The 48-hour window is closing, it's almost been two days since the boat was sunk... the water is warm, but it's very, very rough.

"Today my focus is fairly and squarely on trying to rescue people. My view on this is offshore processing is the way to go, that's the Government's position, it's the Opposition's position as well.... we need to maturely and sensibly get together to implement offshore processing." ....<cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/3737034-3x2-700x467.jpg
Photo: Policemen carry an injured man to a local health clinic for treatment in Trenggalek, East Java. (Dimas Aro: Reuters)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-19/hopes-fade-for-asylum-seekers/3737376

-
msolga

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 08:09 pm
@msolga,
http://images.theage.com.au/2011/12/20/2849946/Tandberg-Boat-People-December-20-600x400.gif
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 08:24 pm
@msolga,
Stalemate.

<sigh>

From today's Age, with a link to the exchanged letters:

Quote:
Abbott says 'no' three times to compromise on boat people
Tim Lester
December 20, 2011 - 12:16PM/the AGE

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/04/26/2325745/art_bowen-420x0.jpg
Chris Bowen ... Mr Abbott is saying no. Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Immigration Minister Chris Bowen has revealed a chain of letters in which the Gillard government has tried to open talks on offshore processing, but has been repeatedly rebuffed by Opposition Leader Tony Abbott.

Speaking to journalists in Sydney this morning, Mr Bowen said the Prime Minister wrote last Wednesday seeking talks on the asylum issue, and offering to recall Parliament if a compromise could be found.

Apparently Mr Abbott replied on Friday, turning down the offer.

In his first response letter to Ms Gillard, Mr Abbott wrote: ''If you do have a specific proposal to make and would care to do so in writing, my colleagues and I would be prepared to consider it.''

The Coalition's Immigration spokesman, Scott Morrison reiterated the point in a late morning press conference, telling the government: ''Put forward a proposal and we'll sit down to talk.''

According to the Immigration Minister, Acting Prime Minister Wayne Swan has written two subsequent letters to the Opposition seeking talks, but both have also been turned down.

Mr Bowen said the Australian people had had ''a gutful of politicking''.They wanted Labor and Liberal politicians who supported offshore processing to sort this out, he said.

They "are crying out" for a solution, but "Mr Abbott is saying 'no' to a meeting. He's saying 'No' to engaging."

Speaking before Mr Bowen's press conference, the opposition's immigration spokesman Scott Morrison called on the federal government to restore temporary protection visas before Christmas.

Mr Morrison told Sky News that the so-called TPVs would help dissuade asylum seekers from making the perilous boat journey to Australia.

He says the Coalition does not want to see a repeat of the latest tragedy, in which up to 200 people are missing after a boat heading for Australia sank off Indonesia's Java coast at the weekend.

Mr Bowen said the government will continue to argue for offshore processing, especially its swap deal with Malaysia. ..... <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/national/abbott-says-no-three-times-to-compromise-on-boat-people-20111220-1p300.html
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 04:26 pm
http://images.theage.com.au/2011/12/31/2867114/portWilcox-600x400.jpg
0 Replies