Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

hingehead

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 06:19 pm
The Australian on fire as usual

Australia has slipped from 60th to 65th rank as a place to do business
BY: PETER VAN ONSELEN, CONTRIBUTING EDITOR From: The Australian December 07, 2011 12:00AM

Quote:
ACCORDING to the World Bank, as a place to do business, Australia has slipped from 60th to 65th place in the past 12 months. This puts us alongside countries such as Turkey and Paraguay. For context, our biggest trading partner, the US, is ranked ninth. Our closest ally culturally and geographically, New Zealand, tops the list.

The specific category the World Bank graded us on was "protecting investors", and it's no wonder Australia just keeps getting worse. Even Italy, on the brink of defaulting on its loans, ranks higher than us.

Even a cursory web search brings up the World Bank's rankings:

http://www.doingbusiness.org/rankings

Guess what? Oz is ranked 15th. My first submission to Media Watch. Kudos to Greg Jericho for spotting it.
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 07:49 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
The Australian on fire as usual

Ha.

Nice try, the Australian!
You've gotta had it to em, they'll try anything.

And of course, this "poor ranking" is all Julia Gillard's fault! Wink
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 07:55 pm
@Dutchy,
I think someone (dadpad?) suggested a similar sentiment in regard to the huge growth in Asian citizens here in recent years, Dutchy. A while back, on another thread.

My own feeling is that any future wars/conflicts (god forbid!) will be about water & food ... a response to the lack of global action now re controlling population growth & the impact of global warming.

hingehead

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 07:59 pm
@msolga,
Do you think the oz was on the front foot because the all the economic indicator information released today is good new? And dollar is up again. Even Laurie Oakes is now having a go at Van Onselen via twitter. Funny.
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 08:37 pm
@hingehead,
It is funny.
And it makes the Oz look pretty silly, doesn't it?
But, if that illusion that the Libs are the only proper economic managers the Australian voters can trust is finally dispelled forever, it doesn't leave them much work with, does it?
Go Laurie Oakes!

Or maybe this is Rupert's payback for the government's decision yesterday to remove the Australia Network from the tendering process altogether, in favour of the ABC? (Yay! Smile )
Rupert would be pretty mad!

Sky News demands $2m compensation over TV tender row:
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/sky-news-demands-2m-compensation-over-tv-tender-row-20111206-1oh8d.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 09:06 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
I think that if population was the only thing stopping 'asia' from invading PNG would already be annexed. Thinking of Asia as a bloc is silly. Buying minerals is much cheaper than launching an invasion.

I think the sale of uranium to India is a bit more Julia pragmatism - it's more about stifling the perception India has of Australia as 'racist' - largely fed by the appalling violence perpetrated on international students. I think Julia sees the uranium sales as a nothing, but the money education gets from India students is a something (think about what portfolio she had as a minister).

One last word on this. (You might have noticed I'm a bit obsessed by the issue. Wink )
You could be right on that. Partly, anyway ....

I see it as Julia pragmatism, too .... but pragmatism driven by the financial gain to the government. This decision is going to be a huge boost to Australian mining companies (we have 40% of the world's uranium reserves) & the more $$$$ they receive through selling uranium, the more $$$$ the government receives, through the mining tax.
Which makes the government's promise of reigning in the budget deficit so much easier to achieve, while at the same time, allowing the government to achieve its other promises to the electorate without having to raise taxes.

But, you already know about my position on selling uranium to India (or any other country which is not a signatory to the NNPT), so I won't repeat myself & bore everyone silly.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 10:26 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
My own feeling is that any future wars/conflicts (god forbid!) will be about water & food ... a response to the lack of global action now re controlling population growth & the impact of global warming.

I agree but I'd add energy to that equation too - if we don't get renewables up over 50%
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 10:37 pm
@hingehead,
Yes.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 01:59 am
Movers and shakers: PM Julia Gillard to reshuffle cabinet to ward off Rudd challenge
by: By Malcolm Farr, National Political Editor
December 10, 2011 6:05PM

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard is using the weekend to tell ministers their fate in what is expected to be a substantial reshuffle of her ministry.
And already the reorganization is being seen as a bid to shore up her support against her predecessor, Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd.

The trigger is expected to be the resignation of Small Business Minister Nick Sherry, according to Labor sources. As a senator, his will be replaced through a party nomination and a risky bye-election would not be needed.

Assistant Treasurer Bill Shorten is certain to be promoted to cabinet, probably as Workplace Relations Minister.

Sources have told news.com.au that Mr Shorten has been close to Ms Gillard’s discussions on the changes.

The new ministry is expected to be announced Monday or Tuesday.

Most of the elevations will be readily justified on merit, sources have said. Mr Shorten, for example, has impressed since he was given the job of Parliamentary secretary for disabilities.

Another possible promotion could be that of Indigenous Employment Minister Mark Arbib, who has worked solidly and effectively in his port folio over the past year.

And left wingers could benefit. Mental Heath Minister Mark Butler, a prospect for future leadership of the left, is among those being considered for a higher role.

However, the movement of MPs will be seen as a shoring up the ranks of of so-called faceless men who have been credited with helping Ms Gillard dump Mr Rudd in June last year.

About six weeks ago there was an angry reaction from some senior right wing figures disappointed by the decision to have on-shore processing of asylum seekers after the High Court blocked the Malaysian solution, and it became clear Parliament would not change the law to allow that option to proceed.

They would not have supported Mr Rudd in retaliation, but sources today said some fence mending was needed.

Immigration Minister Chris Bowen today said allocation of ministries was "entirely a matter for the Prime Minister", and didn't dispute that a reshuffle was close.

"If the Prime Minister wants me to stay in this job, I'll stay in this job," Mr Bowen told reporters.

"If the Prime Minister asks me to do another job, I'll do another job."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/movers-and-shakers-pm-julia-gillard-to-reshuffle-cabinet-to-ward-off-rudd-challenge/story-e6frfkvr-1226218932855#ixzz1g7HlXWFE
msolga

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 05:21 am
@hingehead,
This ongoing Kevin stuff is a bit strange, isn't it?

For quite a while there I honestly believed it was a media beat-up. But the stories continue, even from usually reliable sources like the Insiders team ...

Surely he wouldn't expect to become Labor leader again after all the debacles of 2011? Would he?

Or is he being driven by revenge?
Or delusions?

Strange, very strange ...

Anyway, whatever the reason for a cabinet reshuffle, I'm definitely not delighted at the like of Shorten & Arbib being promoted. Just what Labor needs! Rolling Eyes
Builder

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 05:45 am
@msolga,
Kevin 07 is history, msolga. And he knows it.

Best to head for a safe course, now that his voracious appetite for a-class travel has been stymied.

If I was in the position to delegate his role in things politic (and I'm thankfully not) I'd be sending him to Japan to vehemently tout our case for the imminent bombing of any ship/craft/vessel that in any way/shape/or form contravenes our moratorium on the taking of whales in our soveriegn waters, for any purpose whatsoever.

If Kevin 07 can focus on that particular endeavour, and succeed, we might just consider him for future roles in our media contingent.
hingehead

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 06:01 am
@msolga,
But Mark Butler is a positive (on first impressions anyway).

I'm with Builder - but I'd be sending Kevin to the UN.
msolga

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 06:06 am
@hingehead,
I'd make him Oz ambassador to Bulgaria! Smile

Refresh my memory on Mark Butler ..... I think he was the parliamentarian whose performance I admired on Q&A?
msolga

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 06:10 am
@Builder,
Tsk, tsk, Builder.
We will persuade the Japanese whaling interests to do the right thing by charm & diplomacy. (at least that's what our parliamentary representatives keep saying ...) It's the best way!
Don't you know that? Wink
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 06:11 am
@msolga,
Yep, he came across as vaguely intelligent on Q&A - we spotted him first!

Bulgaria - home of that sheep cheese you get at woollies (and the morello cherries I bought today) - can you believe that there were two brands of morello cherries and I hunted the labels to see what country they came from? The other was from Poland - (Mrs Hinge has some polish heritage) but I thought their economic growth (now that they are EU) is around 4% - so Bulgaria needed my help more. Goddamn it's tough being a lefty.
msolga

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 06:25 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
Yep, he came across as vaguely intelligent on Q&A - we spotted him first!

We did!
We should get a spotters fee. Smile

Yup, now that you've filled me in on the details of Bulgaria, I'm even more convinced it's the best place for Kev.
That, or Ambassador to the Holy See.
Either would keep him outa trouble.

(Good on you for supporting Bulgaria's economy, hinge! )

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 06:38 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Kevin 07 is history, msolga. And he knows it.

Well I would have thought so, too.
But some (usually) very astute political commentators don't think he is.
It's quite confusing, really.
What do they know that we don't? Confused
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 10:03 pm
@Builder,
Seen the news about Kevin letting rip in Darling Harbour with a pack of journos present?

Oh my.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 09:27 pm
@hingehead,
Less than thrilled by Shorten & Arbib.

But I think Nicola Roxon as Attorney-General might prove to be a good move.

Quote:
Prime Minister Julia Gillard unveiled a new expanded Cabinet today, with Bill Shorten elevated to the Cabinet table.

Mr Shorten takes over the key Workplace Relations portfolio from Chris Evans.

Greg Combet adds the Industry and Innovation portfolio to his Climate Change ministry and will work with Senator Evans in a new department.

New South Wales Senator Mark Arbib - who was one of Ms Gillard's key backers to overthrow Kevin Rudd - has been promoted to Assistant Treasurer.

Nicola Roxon becomes Attorney-General.

Ms Gillard says the changes are designed to provide a "mix of new energy talent and wise heads" in a time of "profound economic change".

"I believe it's the right mix of experience and new blood," she said.

Gillard unveils expanded Cabinet:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-12/gillard-announces-cabinet-reshuffle/3726500
hingehead

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 10:00 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
New South Wales Senator Mark Arbib - who was one of Ms Gillard's key backers to overthrow Kevin Rudd - has been promoted to Assistant Treasurer.

Gawd - hope he's better with the purse strings in this new job than in the old one.