Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:16 pm
this was originaly posted to an atheist forum, but wanted ya'lls thoughts aswell

I had just written some long drawn out post that I decided to delete and start over because it was too sugar coated so to not upset anyone. It was about atheism being it's own religion. Then it dawned on me, that is exactly how i would treat believers as well, sugar coating, If this is truly an open minded rational forum I can just go ahead and ask. Is atheism it's own religion, with it's own dogmas. I feel like I walk on egg shells around here just like I do in a room full of believers of any faith. I really think u guys are the greatest and I have had some really good conversations here that I could rarely find elsewhere so I don't wanna upset anyone with these ideas, but if this is truly a free thinking community then they shouldn't.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 18,123 • Replies: 169

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:22 pm
You won't upset anyone with your question, but the replies from atheists on here are going to deny the 'religion' tag. Most of us prefer to do our own thing. We don't congregate to make rules and set dogma. The only thing we have in common, often, in fact, is being 'without religion.'
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

You won't upset anyone with your question, but the replies from atheists on here are going to deny the 'religion' tag. Most of us prefer to do our own thing. We don't congregate to make rules and set dogma. The only thing we have in common, often, in fact, is being 'without religion.'

"Most of us?"

That's rather presumptuous.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree with Edgarblythe (just call me "void of belief"). I'll also nod that many of us here previously at a2k agree with him, and maybe most, but the numbers may change with the new forum folks.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:16 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I agree with Edgarblythe (just call me "void of belief"). I'll also nod that many of us here previously at a2k agree with him, and maybe most, but the numbers may change with the new forum folks.

Dear Void of Belief

You actually presume to join edgar and speak for most A2K members?

And if you are right, so what?

This forum is hardly the crucible of truth.
fresco

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:40 pm
@daredevil,
I also agree with edgar. Many of us atheists will remember the battles with frankapisa who accused atheists of of holding " a belief system" equivalent to that of religion. Unfortunately, he decided he couldn't handle the demolition squad and left .
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:41 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
No, not most a2k members, most a2k atheists, and I said maybe re the "most". "most atheists here (to fore)" have seemed to me to not treat it as a kind of religion, but my observations may yield to my own bias, thus the maybe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:41 am
@fresco,
Laughs. I miss Frank, though he used to drive me crazy.
0 Replies

mister kitten

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 07:38 am
@edgarblythe,
The Greek "Atheos" translates to "without God" not 'without religion.'
Atheism is not a religion; it abandons the idea of God(s).
G-Thomson

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 07:45 am
I don't believe in religion, but I don't necessarily live by a 'not-believing-in-religion' rulebook.
Just, take it easy and never give up being cynical. While they may contradict, those are my only rules.
djjd62

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 07:47 am
@G-Thomson,
pretty much my thoughts on the matter
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:19 am
@mister kitten,
Say it how you will; most atheists are without religion. They are without gods by definition. Most of us prefer to go our own way, rather than make up ideologies and rules for some stupid group movement.
0 Replies

Huxley

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:05 am
Well, you were posting this on an atheist forum. So it's likely that similar relationships were formed and events occurred within that community that also occur in religious communities. Communities have a tendency to self-select for character attributes and world-views outside of what is advertised. Perhaps this community had a shared ideology, as communities tend to do, while atheism itself still doesn't? (though I think an argument can be made that atheistic communities as a whole behave similarly to theistic communities as a whole, it's more plausible to explain as a single community)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:15 am
We come together as often to discuss animals, or recipes. Nobody accuses us of making a religion of that. Besides, a forum like this is not the same as formally coming together to form an organization. It is randomly composed of people who don't really know each other, in the main. I think atheists in general would prefer to avoid all the attention. I find that most of us on a2k are responding to attacks against the right to be an atheist, rather than asserting some vision that might be construed as church-like.
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:19 am
Of course atheism is a religion...they even have a church:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziIwuhWLNtA
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:25 am
Mr. Green
amen
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:26 am
There are many Atheists who hold strong religious beliefs.

I define religious beliefs as things that are accepted as a universal truth even though they are not supported by testable "facts".

Putting people into boxes is always problematic. It is certainly possible to be without religious beliefs even though you don't believe in any God. But, I have found that a great number of Atheists accept quite a bit on faith.

Jebediah

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:32 am
Quote:
I define religious beliefs as things that are accepted as a universal truth even though they are not supported by testable "facts".

That isn't the definition of a religious belief.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:32 am
@ebrown p,
That argument is the way they attempt to keep atheists in the fold. They can't accept the fact that a person can be without the sort of faith associated with religious belief. It is a guess-which-cup the pea is hidden under maneuver, with the pea deftly hidden in the huxter's palm.
Huxley

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:35 am
Well, perhaps your group would be characterized as not-religious. Though, honestly, coming up with a good definition of "religion" is fairly difficult, especially if we start looking at "religion" on a world scale. Outside of the scope of the metaphysical, religion serves as a gathering point for similarly valued peoples. I'm fairly certain that the majority of theists care more about the social relationships (such as the discussion of animals and recipes) than whether or not God is a trinity in one or not. Of course, this is just my own anecdotal prejudice, so don't take that too seriously.

From the outside-looking-in, it does seem fair to characterize some atheist communities as acting in a similar manner as religious communities, though. Online haunts may be different, as they tend to be more eclectic in nature than "real-space" communities -- but I've been part of atheist groups. I thought it was rather nice not having to deal with Christian assumptions in moral discussions. In that sense, it operated in a way similar to religious institutions.

Further, atheists have a line of books that one can purchase to explore the concepts of the atheist community. They don't all agree with one another, but neither do the theist books. Instead, they share similar assumptions/axioms/what-have-you. Generally, atheists operate as naturalists metaphysically, and believe that science works as a means towards approximating truth better than any other method. (that's not something you can say of all classically-considered religions) Again, this is anecdotal, so I'm open to new information as that is the weakest form of information collection. It's just a trend I've noticed. A hypothesis I've generated. I wouldn't say that atheism is a religion in the same way that, say, Mormonism is a religion, but more in line with liberal Catholic communities that treat the Bible like a big, old book of poems.
0 Replies