Lost and . . . found?

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 04:47 am
Hey, i dropped an hour around here somewhere, and i can't seem to find it. The computer says it's about a quarter to seven, but the microwave says it's about a quarter to six. The microwave can't be wrong, right? So . . . has anyone seen an hour laying around they can't account for?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 14 • Views: 4,293 • Replies: 52

Ionus

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 04:49 am
@Setanta,
Do you have an hour glass handy ? It will be in there...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 05:48 am
i keep my thyme in the spice cupboard
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 05:59 am
i think we have it down here. we are keeping it hostage until the end of march then you can have it back again... slightly soiled.
Ionus

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:01 am
@dadpad,
You cant be serious ! That extra hour will fade the curtains ! Oh, wait ...is it an extra night hour, because I could use the rest...
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:03 am
@Setanta,
Give me a minute and I'll help you look.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:05 am
Oh! There's that extra one I found last fall.

Question why is there a daylight savings time anyway. I've heard it's for the children--so they won't have to ride the busses in the dark--which personnally makes the case for delaying the schools an hour-not for daylight savings.

I've also heard it's for the farmers--as if corn really cares what time the su comes up.

Finally, and the most believable to me, it's for the golf courses--it seems an extra hour at the end of a day allows some people to get in nine.

Nevertheless, I could be, and probably am, wrong. But I'm still curious---why do we have daylight savings time---BTW I was a teenager in one of Indiana's eleven counties that does not have daylight savings--I don't think I missed anything; however, I don't play golf.

Rap
dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:16 am
@Setanta,
Here, it's a quarter to 11.00.

Do kids still "get" quarter hours?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:12 am
I woke up at what felt like about 3:30 AM or so.

RP's clock said 4:20. Mine said 3:40. I took 2 Tylenol and returned to bed. I have no idea when my next dosage is.
Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:25 am
@dadpad,
I'll tell ya what . . . we'll split the difference . . . you send us 30 minutes back. Then in the autumn, we'll add subtract half an hour, and stop screwing with the clocks.
Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:28 am
@jespah,
I think i'm a-gonna go back to bed, too . . . it's more than i can handle . . .
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:32 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I woke up at what felt like about 3:30 AM or so.

RP's clock said 4:20. Mine said 3:40. I took 2 Tylenol and returned to bed. I have no idea when my next dosage is.

Oh dear!! You must be suffering from Dr. House Syndrome!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AeINaVDMWgE/Ss6Lqy4xqwI/AAAAAAAAAAM/5mBlQqq-7IQ/s320/House_pills.jpg

Popping them pills like a mad lady!!
jespah

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 05:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes, it's true. I take 2 Tylenol every four hours (or so ... today is ... off) for pain. I'd buy them on the street but the local CVS is so much cleaner.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:50 pm
If I could save it in a bottle - - -
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:59 pm
@jespah,
CVS in Salem. My first Lemonhead dealer.
Serious **** mon.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:07 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I'll tell ya what . . . we'll split the difference . . . you send us 30 minutes back. Then in the autumn, we'll add subtract half an hour, and stop screwing with the clocks.

that'll never work.
The 30 mins we have spare is at night time. Your missing hour is in the morning.
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:14 am
@dadpad,
What's your beef? You get an extra 30 minutes in the night time, and we take a half hour outta the morning . . . it's a win-win situation.
dadpad

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:22 am
@Setanta,
Idiot! We have to give you back 30 mins of dark. You need 30 mins of light.

try to keep up
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:27 am
@dadpad,
Uhm, it was dark out when i lost that hour . . . if we get 30 minutes of dark back, no problem . . .
maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:28 am
@raprap,
Not sure why it started; but congress changed DST a few years ago to supposedly help reduce electricity needs. Apparently, the extra hour of sunlight in the evening, when most people are home, reduces the need to turn on the electric lights.

I don't think the hour of electric light gets shifted to the morning. I know once I wake up, the only light that goes on is the bathroom light (which would go on regardless of time of day because there are no windows). The rest of the house is dark.

So; hope that helps. For more history I'm sure you can google it.
0 Replies