Surfing in Florida?

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 06:30 am
We're booking a holiday for August/September time this year, in Orlando, Florida. SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile
I tried searching on google but the results were all for surf shops etc.
I know there are a load of American A2Kers, some of you have to know if theres any surf there so, I'll put it too you;
Is there anywhere to surf in or around Orlando & If so, where to?
Oh and if there is, Are there any Jellyfish?!?! Shocked

Laughing Ta.

Letty

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:18 am
@AbbieMcKenley,
Abbie, the only thing I know about Orlando is Disney World. I don't think one can surf there. Surfing is mostly done on the East coast, and yes, there are jelly fish. When I was surf fishing, I got a tentacle of one wrapped around my finger, and immediately put meat tenderizer on it. That works.

Frankly, I don't like Orlando. It's too conjested.
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:26 am
@Letty,
Yep, Disney World's the reason we're heading there, to keep May and Indi amused, we have family in Georgia so we had a hard job convincing them that we didn't fancy spending the whole 2 weeks in Georgia, regardless of how many 6 flags parks and what not they may have.

If there's jelly fish, no-way am I going in Laughing
sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:41 am
@AbbieMcKenley,
Depends on how far you're willing to drive... a couple of years ago I started out in Tampa Bay (west coast -- some beaches but I didn't see them), drove through Orlando environs to St. Augustine (east coast -- gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous beaches), took a long time but not impossibly long.

I used to go to Florida (east coast) annually and there was definitely some surfable surf but it depends on specific location (we'd have beaches we went to for surfing and beaches we went to for scenery/ vibe), and VERY much depends on the weather. The exact same beach could be "Lake Atlantic" (almost completely still) on some days and 8-foot waves on other days.

I'd recommend Boogie Boards, they're a great way for amateurs to go surfing. It does take some practice but is far less daunting than stand-up "real" surfing.
sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:45 am
@sozobe,
Just checked, looks like you'd be within an hour of either coast -- not bad.
0 Replies

AbbieMcKenley

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:54 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
I'd recommend Boogie Boards, they're a great way for amateurs to go surfing.

I'm okay on that note, i've been surfing for as long as I can remember. Smile
We live right near the beach, at the moment it's only 3 foot surf but they've predicted 12 foot next weekend and 16 foot a bit further down the coast.
http://www.cornwalls.co.uk/surfing/constantine_report.htm

We'll have a look around when we're there then, I take it they'll have some board of some type to rent there...
sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:55 am
@AbbieMcKenley,
Oh cool! I was thinking more for the little kids, but if you're that close I guess they have a lot of practice too?
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:57 am
@sozobe,
Yeah, their pretty good too, although Indi prefers skim boarding to surfing. He's never got the hand of body boarding, just slips off the back Laughing
sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:58 am
@AbbieMcKenley,
Found this re: best spots to surf in FL:

http://www.visitflorida.com/articles/floridas-best-surf-spots
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 08:00 am
@sozobe,
Oh, thank you Smile Yep, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Cheers Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 08:03 am
Orlando is not on the coast. For information about the Atlantic coast near Orlando, look up Titusville and Cocoa Beach. For information on the Gulf coast near Orlando, look up Tampa.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 10:28 am
@AbbieMcKenley,
AbbieMcKenley wrote:
We're booking a holiday for August/September time this year, in Orlando, Florida. SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile
I tried searching on google but the results were all for surf shops etc.
I know there are a load of American A2Kers, some of you have to know if theres any surf there so, I'll put it too you;
Is there anywhere to surf in or around Orlando & If so, where to?
Oh and if there is, Are there any Jellyfish?!?! Shocked

Laughing Ta.
Yeah, I 'm going to Florida a week from tomorrow.
I 'm going for 2 holidays: Valentine's Day and for George Washington's Birthday.
(I was trying for a red, white & blue effect for George Washington's Birthday.)

I 've been to Disneyworld several times, over the years.
I always like it and I find that I have forgotten a lot of what I saw b4.
Take pictures; take notes, or diary.

My favorite restaurant is: Victoria and Albert's
in the Grand Floridian Hotel on the Disney property. Its a good hotel too.
The restaurant has a harpist.
When I called to make a reservation (from NY)
I was not only asked how many people in my party, as usual,
but I was asked to identify them and to reveal their favorite foods.
(I had to check with them.)
When we arrived, @ member of my party was given a menu
with all of his or her favorite foods listed thereon
and the velvet menu was engraved in gold with his or her name.
Its been a few years since I 've been there.
I don 't know what thay r doing now.
U can call and ask them.

Disneyworld also has an English Pavillion that u might like in EPCOT.
Maybe u can get a map of the place.
Indeed, thay will send u a sales-minded videotape.
(I have no idea of whether it will play on an English videotape recorder
or not; maybe a DVD.) In America, thay sell guidebooks
to Disneyworld in bookstores.

I also recommend the Coral Reef Restaurant; Google it.
Google the whole Disneyworld. I like the food; mostly seafood.
For $140, I SCUBA dove in the fish tank that shows thru the windows
of the restaurant.

Thay have nice fireworks each nite.
There 's a lot to like. Maybe u can get a guide book.

Feel free to ask me anything.
U can also call them.

I have no information about surfing, nor jellyfish.
U can ask the Disney people.

David
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 10:45 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Liking the colour thing you had going on there Smile

I'll have a look on the site at all the stuff there, at the moment it sounds like we'll go as a family for a day, then May and Indi stay a night or so with our cousins and my grandparents whilst my parents, another cousin, my aunt, uncle and I head to the beach Smile
That restaurant does sound pretty cool, i'll be sure to check it out.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:03 am
@AbbieMcKenley,
U do the color better than I do; u r an artist.

David
0 Replies

BarbieQPickle

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 01:29 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
I live 40 minutes from Orlando, there is no beach in Orlando. The beach you'd have to go to would be New Symrna Beach or Daytona Beach which would take a little over an hour to get to from Orlando. Let me recommend that New Symrna beach is much much nicer than Daytona Beach. Also there are jellyfish but I've never been stung by one, sometimes they are washed up on the shore. If you need to know anything else let me know, I've lived here my whole life.
roger

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:17 pm
@BarbieQPickle,
I recall there is some kind of annual surfing competition in Cocoa Beach, which is about 50 miles east of Orlando.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:25 pm
@BarbieQPickle,
I forgot to answer the jellyfish question -- yep, I've been stung a few times and my dad has been repeatedly. The ones to look out for are Portuguese man o'war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Man_o'_War

http://img7.travelblog.org/Photos/79009/397405/f/3799763-Portuguese-Man-o-War-JellyFish-1.jpg
JPB

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:32 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
Well, depending on whether you hit a late summer storm, the surfing can be great in August/September. That's hurricane season along the coast and in the gulf. I know folks who spend hurricane season driving back and forth across the state to hit the best waves after the storms come through. I can put you in touch with a lady I trust implicitly when the time comes. She raises horses for a living and surfs for fun.
0 Replies

AbbieMcKenley

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:35 pm
@sozobe,
When Lilia was home last summer, we went down to the beach and stuck posters up on some railings and in the car parks warning swimmers of Portuguese man of war jelly fish. (Mature, I know)
She and May spent the entire day laughing at the tourists who stood looking at the posters then apprehensively at the sea.
Laughing
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 03:18 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
AbbieMcKenley wrote:
When Lilia was home last summer, we went down to the beach and stuck posters up on some railings and in the car parks warning swimmers of Portuguese man of war jelly fish. (Mature, I know)
She and May spent the entire day laughing at the tourists who stood looking at the posters then apprehensively at the sea.
Laughing
Were those jellyfish really present?