Surfing in Florida?

AbbieMcKenley

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 03:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Smile Nope.
They are very rarely, if ever found in British waters.
Too cold.
kickycan

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:20 pm
Cocoa beach is the place to go for surfing. I used to live in Orlando, and I had to drive from Orlando whenever I wanted to go to the beach. Cocoa beach is known as a surfing town, and it's actually probably the closest beach to you. It's about an hour drive. Tampa beaches are further, because you have to get through Tampa to get to them, and Tampa traffic sucks. It could take you almost two hours to get to a beach going that way, so if you want surfing, Cocoa beach is the place to go. Daytona beach is North of Cocoa beach, and it's a nice beach as well, but it's more of a rowdy party beach. Cocoa beach has more of a laid-back feel to it. And you can definitely surf. If the weather cooperates, of course.

Anyway, there you go. Enjoy.
Philis

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 12:10 am
@kickycan,
yes kickycan we know cocoa beach is the surfing mecca in FL. and they have the largest surfers store in the world there right on the beach called ron jons.
I don't recommend daytona beach, too touristy.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 03:48 am
@AbbieMcKenley,
I hope that u have MORE relatives in Las Vegas.
In the immortal words of Elvis Presley: "Viva Las Vegas!!!!!"
I love the place; its really a lot of beautiful fun.

Anyway, I saw some different species of contentedly living Jellyfish on display,
in the Shark Reef exhibit in the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas.
http://www.sharkreef.com/

The Jellyfish r singularly beautiful, delicately lovely,
like some kind of Angels floating, suspended under the water.
U can 't pet the Jellyfish, but thay have other exhibits
with shallow pools, wherein u can pet the fish to make friends.

In the Shark Reef Exhibit, thay have a lot of clear glass tunnels,
under very broad areas of deep water thru which sharks, giant turtiles
(I 'm a pro-turtle person) and many species of very colorful,
large fish swim happily around above u. If u SCUBA dive, u can hobnob socially with them.

I remember an imitation old wooden shipwreck under deep water
that u see next to u (horizontally) and above your tunnel,
with the beautiful large fish swimming around; thay don 't seem to celebrate holidays.

David
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:13 am
Be prepared for Disney World. It's a collection of parks. You could easily spend a week there and not see it all. You'll have to decide ahead of time what you want to do. I highly recommend buying a guidebook before you go.

BTW, it's not just for little kids. When we go, I love to watch the middle-aged banker types pointing and going, "Ooh! Ooh! I wanna go there next!"
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:49 am
@AbbieMcKenley,
Don't want to rain on your parade, but Florida has dry/rainy seasons. August and September are the worst time for hurricaines. In addition, usually it rains at least a little every afternoon. Any chance that you could postpone your trip until October? It is still very warm, but much drier.

Check this out. Orlando, is near the bottom:

http://www.wordtravels.com/Travelguide/Provinces/Florida/Climate/
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 11:13 am
@Phoenix32890,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Possibly the funniest thing i've read in several days... I'm considering making it my signature line, have you copywrited it? Laughing

Pet the fish? Really?
I'm a little bit worried about you Laughing

(p.s, I hope you realise how long it took me to work out how to do that "OmSigDavid wrote" thing. Smile

Las Vegas does sound good by, unfortunately, it's not on the agenda Sad

Eva wrote:
Be prepared for Disney World. It's a collection of parks. You could easily spend a week there and not see it all. You'll have to decide ahead of time what you want to do. I highly recommend buying a guidebook before you go.

BTW, it's not just for little kids. When we go, I love to watch the middle-aged banker types pointing and going, "Ooh! Ooh! I wanna go there next!"

I'm sure we would spend longer but the adults want to go to the beaches and such whilst the kids don't seem to interested in the beach (I mean well, they did grow up on one) and have decided that Disney land is the only thing they want to do. I chose to go with the adult - May vomits on rides, i'm not cleaning her up Smile

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Don't want to rain on your parade, but Florida has dry/rainy seasons. August and September are the worst time for hurricaines. In addition, usually it rains at least a little every afternoon. Any chance that you could postpone your trip until October? It is still very warm, but much drier.

Not a chance for October, I'll have started my A-levels in 6th form, and they've told us that if you take more than 2 days off without a doctors note, you're off the course.
Please don't let my uncle know that they have hurricains, he'll get too excited... Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the link. Smile

A-M
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 02:32 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
AbbieMcKenley wrote:
Possibly the funniest thing i've read in several days...
I'm considering making it my signature line, have you copywrited it? Laughing
I have not; much too lazy to copyright.
Please consider it my gift to u.

AbbieMcKenley wrote:
Pet the fish? Really?
I'm a little bit worried about you Laughing
Yes; I did that in New Orleans, too, at its Aquarium in 2005. We were there for a convention.
(I LOVE New Orleans, especially for the FOOD!! MINDBLOWING.)
Its exceptional -- unique in my experience.
ANYWAY, thay inverted a bullshark and let us pet him on his belly.
It turns out that when a shark is turned upside down, he gets sleepy, quiescent.
Additionally, (no kidding) when his mouth is above water,
he can bark; he sounds a lot like a dog.
That 's not a joke. There were also some other petable fish in shallow pools.

AbbieMcKenley wrote:
(p.s, I hope you realise how long it took me to work out how to do that "OmSigDavid wrote" thing. Smile
I 've been posting on these fora for about ten years.
I 've only found out the fastest way of doing that a few weeks ago.

Like quote something: XXXXX[ quote ]XXXXXX[/quote]
and then to put my name on it,
I put an = sign into the first [ quote ]
like so: [ quote=David ]
and it gives me what I want.
(There shoud be no spaces between the square brackets.)

AbbieMcKenley wrote:
Las Vegas does sound good by, unfortunately, it's not on the agenda Sad
Not YET, but the future is a LONG time, especially for a girl your age.
U can return sometime with your family or anytime after u have entered adulthood
to vacation in America 's more fun places,
which definitely include Orlando (Kissimmee for Disneyworld),
Las Vegas and New Orleans. U have an abundance of years n decades to enjoy them all optimally.

A-M
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 04:36 pm
As anyone who has read my profile knows I've been surfing on Florida's East coast since the '70's, although I don't board surf anymore, just body surf. February is a good time to surf Cocoa Beach, the water is around 77 F and the waves can get robust when a cold front comes in.
BTW I surfed Newquay quite a few times...it's comparable
0 Replies