SPACE TRAVEL VIA THE HUBBLE TELESCOPE

Charli

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 08:29 pm
Space travel via the Hubble Telescope. If this has been posted elsewhere, please tell me and I will delete this. Thanks! Enjoy!!!

SPACE WANDER
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,555 • Replies: 9
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 08:38 pm
Very cool Charli wonderful pictures. Even it the web page has been posted elsewhere it is worth going there more than once.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 09:52 pm
I've always loved the pictures available on-line from the Hubble Heritage site. Thanks for a great link, Charli.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 09:08 am
Charli remember when they first sent the Hubble up and there was something wrong with the lens. I was so disappointed I thought I would actually cry in front of everyone. Thank goddess they could fix it for us.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:17 pm
YOU'RE WELCOME!
Joanne and Setanta, you're welcome! Setanta, do you have a URL for the Hubble Heritage site - or should I just plug those words into Google? Yes, Joanne, I do remember that glitch when the Hubble was first launched. It seems to me that there was a problem with the positioning of the lens. Slanted the wrong way? I can't remember how the scientists went about putting in a fix. Seems like all systems are a go now.

When this site came via one of the email correspondents a couple of thousand miles away, it seemed too "good" not to share. And, what better place than with the folks on A2K - My kind of people!
[/color] Very Happy
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 09:26 pm
Just google it I would think. I would try for you but my computering ability is so limited these days.

I think we sent a shuttle team to space walk to fix the hubble.

Did you read about the solor flares expected to reach us tomorrow? They say it may fry some satelittes including the ones that control all the ATMs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 09:37 pm
Charli, i can't give you the url at the moment, i'm bad about keeping such information, and googling is my usual method. Try the JPL (Jet Propulsion Lab) too, they got great photos, and great original artwork which is done for each mission sent out.
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 06:31 am
The problem with the mirror had something to do with the curve in its mirror. It was fixed by placing tiny mirrors at very specific places to correct this problem. I believe the problem was discovered form an inability to focus on objects a certain distance away and farther -- and the problem was fixed by adjusting the concavity of the interior reflector by less then the width of a hair.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 08:34 am
SOLAR FLARES - TODAY'S THE DAY!
Thanks Eastree for the info. Fascinating!

Today is the day for the solar flares that Joanne Dorel spoke about in her post above. (Thanks, Joanne!) This is the beginning of the article from ABC-New web site:

Space Weather
How Intense Solar Activity Can Upset Earth-Based Technologies
[ABCNEWS.com]

Oct. 24 ? Forecasters warn a space storm is heading toward Earth and could disrupt power grids, satellites and some high frequency communications.

Researchers with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration have spotted two very active regions of the sun, one of which hurled a coronal mass ejection, or CME, into space on Wednesday. That CME is expected reach Earth today. . . .

ABC News: How does a solar storm affect you?
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 08:38 am
Sure! I was actually surprised I remembered it.

Ya, the solar storm -- Unfortunately, any problems here will get ME called out to try to fix it! And you might be surprised how many people think I could make their electronics "solar wind proof"
0 Replies