Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 07:09 pm
@CalamityJane,
Snort..
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 08:41 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'd like all the recipes, maybe starting with carrots in pecans, and the brussels sprouts, but all of it. I've always liked lebkuchen, never got near making my own, and no packets of it available around here. Well, I don't mean to give you work, but any cooking tidbits you'd enjoy sharing would be welcome.

osso, the Lebkuchen were sent to me from Germany. The carrots in pecans
are easy - cut up carrots, pour some honey and lemon juice over them, a bit of brown sugar and cook until tender, toss in the pecans. Brussels sprouts: I microwave them for 4 min. cut them in halves and put them in a frying pan
with butter until they have a slightly brown crust, add parmesan and pine nuts,
season to taste. The speatzle are actually noodles and I buy them and cook
them like pasta. The goose you prepare just like chicken, except it takes a lot longer to roast (4.5 hours).
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 08:42 pm
@CalamityJane,
Ok, good summary. I'll try the carrot thing first.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 02:57 pm
Well, we had a great meal & a large crowd - two sons & wives and two daughters & spouses, four grandchildren and three dogs. Independent excursions going on all week to St Helena and other spots in the area - typical confusion about where everyone is and where are the keys to various cars, etc. Some of it still continues.

My wife and various daughters & daughters-in-law generally controlled the kitchen, united only in keeping me out (at times the tensions from female rivalries were palpable). The meal that resulted was traditional ... and wonderful. I especially liked the mixed carrot & rutabaga (yellow turnip) mix my wife, Elise, makes (& invariably announces came from her German mother - more defensive sublimation from the non-Irish in the family).

Too many people to agree on one wine. We served chilled Reisling , some Saubingon Blanc and one of my favorite reds. A very good day, and I hope everyone here had one too.

Some very interesting recepies and ideas for dishes. I'm contemplating suggesting a few, but I fear that might piss Elise off a bit.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 03:03 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I'm contemplating suggesting a few, but I fear that might piss Elise off a bit.

Yes, especially when she's got some German blood in her! Very Happy
georgeob1

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 06:04 pm
@CalamityJane,
Worse than that, it's a combination of German, Corsican and Spanish (Haeussler, Hesse, Bienvenutto, and Montilla). She's at least as testy about her domain as I suspect you are ! Wink

However, a little Irish goes a long way.
0 Replies