What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 04:54 am
@Procrustes,
Hip hop doesn't lack musicality compared to other music forms. There are songs of all genres that lack musicality. Any song by the grunge band Nirvana, for instance. I like the songs, but they are not examples of great musicianship. That doesn't make them less in contrast to any other music.
I like grunge for what grunge offers, and I like Beethoven for what that music offers. They are as different as my moods can be. Smile
Procrustes

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 04:59 am
@Cyracuz,
Well put Cyracuz.
0 Replies

NoSuchThing

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 05:33 pm
@Ogitoc groe sum,
There, hear it?
JLNobody

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 09:02 pm
@NoSuchThing,
If two hands clap in the forest and noone is there to hear it...does the clapping make sound?
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 03:22 pm
@JLNobody,
If a man speaks in the forest and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
fresco

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 03:28 pm
@Cyracuz,
Sure he is...he should have been home fixing that shelf !
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 03:29 pm
@fresco,
Very Happy

The error was not going deep enough into the forest..
0 Replies

NoSuchThing

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 05:17 pm
@Cyracuz,
All bets are off when a woman is involved.
0 Replies

NoSuchThing

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 05:22 pm
@JLNobody,
What is it worth to you?
JLNobody

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 05:28 pm
@NoSuchThing,
About a month's worth of rent.
0 Replies

badger578

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 05:00 pm
@Ogitoc groe sum,
I think that the sound of one hand clapping is the anticipation of a clap. Of course there never will be a clap, because there is only one hand; but the mind anticipates it anyway.
Anticipation removes one from reality itself.
imans

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 11:06 pm
@badger578,
one hand clapping sound is much more real then two, bc it is true

and when the variable truth is the exclusive first right then one hand claps is absolute glory

now scientifically since u love physical proofs, being true is being free, true as a reality and free as a move outside of it
so technically the more one is relating itself to objective facts true realities the more it would witness out of himself but only on his space a move that would mean to consider his act as superior so meaning to join to superior realities as true, but then the original bc he is originally true in being true would not take that consideration for credits thinking that this new move is not for him but for that move self realisations, which would generate in multiple right free movements of same ways, then when free moves of a space are all through relations to objective truth truly to their selves means, they would love to clap with each others for any, as nothing of course but for pleasure when all superiority is the standard already there and nothing else
0 Replies

heatherlotus

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 06:32 pm
@Ogitoc groe sum,
Its a while since you posed the question. As I understand it the saying is deeply entrenched in 3,000/5,000 year old Chinese thought and posits the existence of opposites i.e. yin yang the primordial polarity of which you can not have one without the other, ergo the saying. Down through the eons the meaning was lost and became a conundrum aka a zen koan. The Truth is not only great but simple. Relationship/Existence comes into manifestation through this dynamic.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 07:36 pm
@heatherlotus,
The answer is the sound of the question, or is this too logical?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 08:23 pm
@JLNobody,
You just 'heard' it. Mr. Green
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 04:46 pm
@JLNobody,
As I understand it, a koan has nothing to do with the logic of thought or truth about the world, in the small sense of the word. It has to do with the moment of interaction between the student and her teacher: the issue is the truthfulness reflecting their (shared) "original mind".
Razzleg

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 12:53 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

As I understand it, a koan has nothing to do with the logic of thought or truth about the world, in the small sense of the word. It has to do with the moment of interaction between the student and her teacher: the issue is the truthfulness reflecting their (shared) "original mind".

Students? Teachers?...of what?
JLNobody

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 11:24 am
@Razzleg,
I do not wish to be tested right now, especially in an atmosphere of scepticism. If your question is sincere please read up on the culture of zen.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 07:38 am
@JLNobody,
Does it go to follow that the sound of one hand clapping is a memory? Or, the projection of a memory?
PhilipOSopher

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 07:50 am
@Glennn,
Is 'clapping requires two hands moving into each other' a tautology? Or, (as I imagine animals with paws rather than hands could also clap) would it be better to say that 'clapping requires two surfaces moving together to make contact'? I could be missing the point...