EDIT***
Mimsi - most of this post isn't in reply to you
EDIT***

no worries Wink
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:45 am
@chai2,
Take a deep breath, Chai ... and perhaps a valium.
Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:07 am
@mismi,
Quote:
That is probably true enough. But seriously - do you think we shouldn't write things that hurt people? And should we consider any one person's feelings above anyone elses? Is it okay to be mean and disrespectful to one person and it's okay because they are white but protect and deflect attacks upon another because they are black? This does not feel right to me. We either should curb our nastiness across the board or expect nastiness across the board.

This keeps coming up, as though it were a cogent argument against a protest, because the protest is somehow a threat to the right of others to express themselves. Do not those who protest have a right express their opinions? Have you seen anybody in this debate state or even suggest that the cartoonist has no right to produce such drivel? If there is anyone here saying as much, i dissociate myself from that position. I have already pointed out that people have a right to say anything they like short of inciting to criminality, and that includes saying racist things. And other people have the right to protest against that which is racist.

What is most ludicrous here is that rightwingnuts (and i am not including you in that group) so often sneer at people they are pleased to see as dangerous leftists for their impotence and their whining. Yet in this situation, an argument such as this implies that merely protesting against something seen has having a racist content is effectively the same as censorship, despite the predictable sneer that leftists are impotent whiners. Those who are offended by this cartoon have no power to prevent such things from being produced and published. Far, far worse things are routinely published, both in print and online. Protesting against it does not constitute effective action to prevent the future publication of such things, nor suppress that which has been published.

No one "protects" black people nor "deflects" racist comments by protesting against such comment. They do exercise their right to self-expression just as do those who produce racist material. To claim that such material should not be the subject of protest does not feel right to me.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:08 am
The problem with the cartoon, then, isn’t that it’s racist, it’s that it’s just pretty dumb.
Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:13 am
@joefromchicago,
That was an hilariously wicked little article.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:29 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
No one "protects" black people nor "deflects" racist comments by protesting against such comment. They do exercise their right to self-expression just as do those who produce racist material. To claim that such material should not be the subject of protest does not feel right to me.

Oh.

I did say that about the deflection and protection...but I was just asking a question - it could be because I am so used to people making fun of Bush - which truly is their right...I guess I assumed incorrectly that they were wanting to protect Obama from the same ridicule. Hopefully, the ridicule would not be because of his race - but knowing people - I fear that is much too much to hope. I try to be positive though...mostly.

Did I say that it should not be the subject of protest? I guess what I was trying to say - poorly apparently - was that it does seem there is an outcry here about something that does not really matter. Whether they did or didn't mean it racist - whether they were or weren't trying to imply that Obama was a chimp (I sincerely hope not) but it does not matter - it is a right to print it and that right generally causes us to know better where we stand - regardless of whether it was mean spirited or not. I guess I thought some here felt that the cartoon should not have been printed at all. I did state earlier it seems that people like nyah nyahing over this - so have at it. Enjoy!
Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:34 am
@mismi,
Quote:
I did state earlier it seems that people like nyah nyahing over this - so have at it. Enjoy!

Deploring racism is not an equivalent to a childish "nyah-nyahing" of something which one does not like. But if you think that is all it's worth, enjoy.
mismi

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:37 am
@Setanta,
damn...I did put that Kick Me sign on my back didn't I?

that's not what I meant...you win Set.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:59 am
I'm not trying to win, Miss Mi . . . anyway, i've never been able to collect my prizes from the jokers who run this place. I understand if you don't consider this a big deal--others beg to differ, however.
mismi

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 12:27 pm
@Setanta,
That's fine...I guess I am confused - everybody else puts their opinions down and asks questions...I am thinking through and trying to figure out if I am trying to keep others from expressing theirs. That is not my intention - but my sureness over my own feelings may very well have caused it to seem that way - if it did I am truly sorry. It is never a bad thing to be made to rethink how you speak or why you think the way you do...but I am competitive - and it gets in the way sometimes.

Thanks Set Wink
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 12:48 pm
@chai2,
Yup. It's time to stop the e-mail updates. (Way past time, prob'ly.)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 12:53 pm
@joefromchicago,

Can't say I disagree with you too much there, Joe.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 01:18 pm
@Ticomaya,
I already agreed with that. I thought the cartoon crude and insensitive, and I didn't appreciate it, but not because it was racist as I do not believe it was racist in any way.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 02:23 pm
@mismi,
I agree - the cartoonist must have understood that the cartoon would be taken as racist if he didn't he isn't much of political cartoonist.

However, anyone reading the NYPost would need to know that the entire rag is pretty much offensive so why would it surprise anyone that they would have an offensive cartoon?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 02:45 pm
@mismi,
You do fine without my advice, Darlin' . . . you have nothing to thank me for. You go right on ahead expressing your opinion, the way you see things, Miss Mi, and i'll go right on trying to humiliate and belittle you. We all have our little pleasures.
mismi

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:00 pm
@Setanta,
wow, that makes me feel better.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z276/drebage/ththunstable1.gif

Wink just kidding...sorta
Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:07 pm
That's just precious, Darlin' . . . thank you ! ! !
mismi

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:11 pm
@Setanta,
Oh that's funny and you know it.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:19 pm
@mismi,
Now that's racist! I'm surprised at you!
mismi

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:39 pm
@Linkat,
I was kidding! How was it racist? Am I over-reacting again?

I am sorry. I should not have put the cartoon of the stick person sticking out its tongue and flipping the bird with both hands, because Set said he was going to enjoy his continued belittling and humilating of my person. It was not wise upon reflection.