Paintings/art by people I, or you, know (however slightly)

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 05:41 pm
I just received a routine email from a southern california artnews website, artscenecal.com - it sends a lot of gallery art show announcements. I thought, I know that guy.. it's a fellow who used to work at UCLA extension art studios when I took a batch of classes there in the early seventies. I looked at the gallery site (FIG) and see two of my teachers listed as well. So, a bit of "old home week" for me. And chasing those names down brought me to the name of my cousin's favorite art teacher (whom I never met but have long heard/read about). So, it occurs to me that I could make a thread with the work of artists who are friends, acquaintances, or people that have shown in either of the galleries I co-partnered in.

I could add some of my own, since I'm self acquainted, but that would involve getting the scanner in action - which I plan to do, but not this week, and a separate thread or just addition to/link in profile once I do..

You're welcome to add the art of friends/people you know too. They don't have to be painters, that's just my own primary interest.

So, to start -

http://www.figgallery.com/images/09_images/Lubner%20Cold%20Feet.jpg
"Cold Feet", 2006-7, oil on canvas, 22 x 28"

Clips from the annoucement quote -

FIG
2525 Michigan Ave, Bergamot Station G6, Santa Monica, CA 90404

Martin Lubner "New Work"
January 7 - February 7, 2009

Martin Lubner's paintings focus on his immediate surroundings: family, friends, colleagues, views of the studio, and arrangements of personal objects. His imagery originates in a deeply personal iconography and a certain amount of nostalgia, which is balanced by his optimistic enthusiasm for painting. The artist works in a powerful expressionist style that is edgy and dark but laced with humor.

Lubner writes, "My concerns seem focused on time, the language of painting and the need for an image to arise out of my speculative struggle with paint. The terrain for this is my studio, the objects that lie around, the art history postcards pinned to the walls, the open books of images that connect to whatever obsesses me at the moment. Time affects all surfaces; gunshots mar wall surfaces, nails are bent and misused, feet and legs have varicosities and a water pipe has been bruised by wear and is broken. All convey a life lived and time's erosion of matter. This is not due to an a priori program of thought. It arises out of the attempt to find the confluence of paint with the object, with all the shifts and changes of size, shape, color and scale that creates my anguished surface."

Martin Lubner has exhibited widely and his work is included in numerous public collections, including the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles and the Orange County Museum of Art. Lubner is a graduate of U.C.L.A. and longtime private and university instructor.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,970 • Replies: 19
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 05:58 pm
In college I was friends with Arturo Herrera who now has paintings hanging in MoMA and the Whitney, among other museums. He's quite famous.

http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/herrera/index.html
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 06:29 pm
@boomerang,
I love that felt piece. Also like the small #7 a lot. Much to look at!
boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 06:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I am always so happy to see that he has done so well. I've kept up with his career from afar.

I still have a a print he made (that even today, 25+ years later, hangs in Mr. B's office) and a film festival poster he designed but I could kick myself for not buying some of the work from his show that he offered me at a great discount.

I first met him in a photography class and he was the first of my peers (at that time, obviously, he has way surpassed peerdom) who encouraged me by approaching me and complementing me on a photo essay I had done. I think I gave him one of the prints from the series that he had especially liked.

He was a really lovely person.

My bet is that he still is.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 12:05 am
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6/pfunkcosmicslopcoverun9.png
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/pfunkcosmicslopcoverun9.png
My friend Pedro Bell designed album covers for the original funk mob, Funkadelic. Several of his pieces (a few that I worked on as well) were on exhibit in 2007 at the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 11:45 am
@eoe,
OK! Album covers!
Interesting breasts!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 11:51 am
@ossobuco,
A teacher of mine, Sam Amato, who also is a FIG gallery exhibitor, has done a lot of paintings, lithographs, etc., but I don't see a lot online of his work that doesn't involve my subscribing to an art website for a fee. So, here's a lone painting, The Model -

http://www.triggison.com/paintings/painti121.jpg

Man, he was a good teacher...

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 12:01 pm
@ossobuco,
The photographer Ed Colver is a long ago friend -

album covers here: http://www.edwardcolver.com/discography.htm

and photography in general: same link but on the gallery page

Looks like there's a book: see the home page on that link above

Henry Rollins -
http://a3.vox.com/6a00b8ea0683a7dece00c2251e43ab604a-500pi

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 04:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Grrr - I was just filing in my real paper art files a two pager - with color photos - in the LA Times Calendar section on Ed Colver back in August. As I stare at it, I cannot access it on the LAT website without payment and of course it's not for distribution without permission, and so on. Pah.

Here's the title -
ART / IN THE STUDIO; Same attitude, different media; The punk scene he chronicled is gone, but the ideals live in Edward Colver's creations.
Lynell George; Los Angeles Times; Aug 17, 2008
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 04:21 pm
Those are cool osso and eoe!

Love the colors in that portrait, osso.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 04:34 pm
@boomerang,
I keep thinking of more people - working up a stack of links. This is fun..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 04:46 pm
This thread made me think of Vivienne (I probably spelled that wrong.) She is an amazing painter. I wonder where she has been....
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 04:47 pm
@boomerang,
The more I look at it, the more I love everything about that Amato portrait.

On Colver, some of that article is re his sculpture, thus the thing about "different
media".
Meantime, I have a strong black and white Colver photo print that I've never framed. I'd want to frame it impeccably, preservation wise, and aesthetically, which would be tricky re perfectly 'clean' re the exact print, and.. expensive.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 04:58 pm
@boomerang,
I miss her too, Boomer.

I also like JLNobody's work/play (that's an inside comment), the little I've seen of Farmer's work a long time ago, and and someone who doesn't talk about her art background much but whose paintings I enjoy, BBB's. I'm probably forgetting people. I consider them all friends but don't have links.

I do have some photo prints of JL's work, which I could scan the same icy day in hell I scan my own, with his permission. With climate change, this may be coming soon.. the scanning, I mean.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 05:03 pm
@ossobuco,
I have to add that I'd like to edit my first post in that photography and its tentaclinging offshoots are vying with painting for my primary interest - which brings up you and Shewolf.

I always had a pause with the old a2k categories that had some confusion re somehow separating art and photography, though I don't think that was meant to separate them but to clarify inclusion.
alex240101

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 12:41 pm
@ossobuco,
This post is not a respond to this thread.
It is a track down.......
wishing you a happy, happy new years eve, and new years ossobuco.
mismi

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 12:44 pm
@alex240101,
http://www.amycrewsgallery.com/paintings.html
Amy Crews is a friend of mine - her work is beautiful - I am proud of her
ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 01:07 pm
@alex240101,
Same to you, Alex!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 01:08 pm
@mismi,
Cool, Mismi! (I'm liking the apples myself..)
mismi

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 01:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks Osso - I am amazed by them...the apples are my fav's as well....I just look at them and wonder how someone makes them look so realistic.
0 Replies