Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 07:43 pm
'Joe the Plumber' Mulling Run for Congress
Hill Staff
Joe Wurzelbacher, a.k.a. "Joe the Plumber," said Friday he may consider running for Congress in 2010, challenging longtime Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D) in the Toledo-area district.

"I'll tell you what, we'd definitely be in one heck of a fight," Wurzelbacher said during an appearance on the Laura Ingraham show Friday, "but, you know, I'd be up for it."

"There is a movement afoot to draft you to run for Congress," Ingraham said. "Joe, let me tell you something: you decide to run for Congress, and I'll help you with your PR, I'll help you do your ads, I mean, I'll volunteer to help you."

Ingraham's producer, Brad Feldman, said that during the break after the segment, Wurzelbacher told Ingraham that his statements today represent the first time he has acknowledged considering a bid for Congress in public.

Wurzelbacher said he did agree with Kaptur's vote against the bailout, and touted his support for a flat tax on income.

A Springfield, Ohio native, Wurzelbacher became a target of fame and scrutiny after Republican candidate John Mccain referenced the plumber during his third presidential debate against Barack Obama. Wurzelbacher confronted Obama during a campaign spot in northwest Ohio preceding the debate to ask Obama about his tax plan.

Supporters launched a website following Wurzelbacher's rise to prominence encouraging him to run for the seat.

Kaptur has represented Ohio's 9th congressional district since being elected in 1982, and has easily secured reelection in years since. She is expected to easily defeat Republican opponent Bradley Leavitt next month.

Listen to a clip of Wurzelbacher's appearance in which he discusses a potential bid below.

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2008/10/24/joe-the-plumber-says-hes-mulling-run-for-congress/

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 07:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
Palin-Joe for President, 2010. Yee - ha. Why not go for the final dregs?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 07:49 pm
I'd so much prefer JoefromChicago...
JTT

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 08:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'd so much prefer JoefromChicago...

JoefromChicago just wouldn't work as a Repub candidate, Osso. He's way too bright.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 09:27 pm
@JTT,
Oh, sorry, I wasn't paying enough attention, was responding to the title.

Carry on.

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:55 am
@ossobuco,
If nominated I will not care. If elected I will not show up.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:59 am
@joefromchicago,
So, if you stand, I will not whine. Should you not, I'll bring cookies.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:13 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

If nominated I will not care. If elected I will not show up.

That would be an enormous improvement over most candidates.
You've got my vote, Joe!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:24 am
@joefromchicago,
You are heartless when you know how desperate we are for your election.

BBB
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:51 am
Obama can't run for president because there's a picture of him in a "muslim" suit but Joe the plumber can run for congress with a lien for not paying his taxes....that sounds about right.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:53 am
For what it's worth, I heard Joe the Plumber in real time this morning state that nobody--that is NOBODY--from the GOP or anywhere else has approached him about running for Congress. When asked what he would say if somebody did, he said he didn't know. He would really have to think about that whether it was worth going through the 'proctology' exam that he has already gone through just because he dared ask a question of Barack Obama.

He didn't ask for fame either from the Obama campaign who is attempting to demonize him or from McCain who has made a saint of him. He has endorsed neither.

He did say that if somehow he ran for congress and/or was elected, he would see his job as representing the people and nothing else. He sees it as an extremely dangerous thing and crushing to the spirit of the people that some guy on the street would be held up to intense public scrutiny and trashed just because he was approached by a political candidate and asked a question.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:56 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Joe For Congress

You spelled "fer" incorrectly.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 10:03 am
@DrewDad,
fer
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 10:09 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Joe the Plumber also has over $700 in unpaid traffic violations citations. I guess cutie Joe doesn't like paying for anything from a government.

BBB
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 10:16 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
but I bet he's pro life Wink
kuvasz

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 11:42 am
maybe the RNC can buy him some clothes
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:58 pm
I thought you meant Joe ( ) Nation
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:32 am
@snood,
I would vote for any of a2k's joes over most persons already serving, snood.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 09:11 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
You must have seen the Sunday Doonesbury comic staring Joe the Plumber.

BBB

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 10:46 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
no...what is it?