Which McCain will we see?

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:14 pm
McCain is in a no-win situation. The right wing is insisting that he tow the line on good "red meat", Christian, anti-immigrant, hardline pro-life, social conservative, Nationalistic issues.

But the battle is for voters in the middle...

The Palin pick is clearly a play to the right designed to thrill the Conservative Christian base.

Is McCain going now going to make a play to the center?
Will the center accept any of his advances?
Will the hard-line right let him?

I am very interesting to see his speech tonight for this one reason.

My prediction is that his play for independent, centrist voters will be both lukewarm and ineffective.

maporsche

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:16 pm
@ebrown p,
He'll move back to the middle where he's always been.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:18 pm
You are correct; he's going to shift to the middle - and maybe a little left of center. LOL He's desperate.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:19 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

The one and only, all American ~ John McCain.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I wouldn't say he's ever been left of center....but McCain, prior to 2008 was probably the most centrist senator in the senate. 2008 you have to chalk up to the primary push. I, personally, rarely look at anything the candidates do/say during the election season; I prefer to measure their actions prior to the election.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:29 pm
@maporsche,
YOu would then need to measure McCain's 90% vote with Bush as an indicator of where he stands on issues.
JTT

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:33 pm

As always, the two-faced one.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

YOu would then need to measure McCain's 90% vote with Bush as an indicator of where he stands on issues.

You are better than this ci - please try again.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yep....90% with Bush in 2008, the year that I throw out. Additionally, this year Bush has been FAR more liberal than he was when Republicans were in power.

This same kind of logic leads to the statement that Obama is the most liberal senator.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:35 pm
@maporsche,
Between McCain and Obama, that's 100% true.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:35 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Obama is the most liberal senator.

Yep, 2nd only to Joe Biden... what a team they make.

Same old democrats with zero changes.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No, I was referring to those reports that look at 1 year in a canidates career to paint a false picture of the entirity of their positions.

With Obama, who only has 2 years in the Senate, it's not as apparent, but for McCain, if you want to know who he is, you don't look at 1 year, you look at all of them.

If I was able to search this site effectively now I bet you I can find quite a few positive comments about McCain over the last few years. He was the democrats best friend while republicans were in power. At least I'm not forgetting that.
old europe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:55 pm
@maporsche,
According to Congressional Quarterly's Voting Studies, McCain has been voting with Bush 95% of the time in 2007.

Also, as far as I remember, he's been voting pretty much with the right until Bush took office, then went Maverick for some time, and has been more or less in line with Bush the last couple of years. Overall, he voted in line with his party 90% of the time.

Maybe that's where the 90% figure comes from...
maporsche

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:57 pm
@old europe,
yeah maybe.

do you have a link?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:58 pm
@maporsche,
Dude - Obama was elected to the senate in 2004, not 2006. He has more then 2 years in the Senate.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:04 pm
McCain Voted with President Bush 377 Times. Since 2001, John McCain has voted in support of the President's position 377 times. The table below outlines the number of votes cast, where the President's position was indicated by a Statement of Administration Policy, and the number of time McCain voted with the President:

CONGRESS

..........AGREED....CAST
110th.....36.............38
109th.....80............95
108th.....153.........168
107th.....108.........119

total......377...........420
equals............90%

The 110th congress equals 95%
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:05 pm
According to his mom, John is his momma's boy Very Happy
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:20 pm
@maporsche,
The Congressional Quarterly is subscription only, but when Obama compared McCain's and Bush's voting record, it's been fact checked by various sources...

Quote:
“It's not change when John McCain decided to stand with George Bush 95 percent of the time, as he did in the Senate last year,” Obama said.

The number Obama cited didn’t come out of thin air. It reflects McCain’s 2007 “presidential support” score from Congressional Quarterly, part of a carefully measured and widely cited series of vote studies that demonstrate how often lawmakers back or oppose the president, as well as the majority of their parties.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/512/
old europe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:24 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
As the chart below shows, John McCain has indeed voted consistent with the preferences of President Bush about 90% of the time on these presidential support roll-calls. This has been roughly the same level of support as the average Republican senator.

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/coleman1.png

McCain's presidential support level was 95% in 2007, but this is somewhat misleading. Because he was running for president, McCain was present for only 38 of the 97 roll calls CQ used to calculate the presidential support score. There were 442 roll-call votes in total in the Senate in 2007. Looking at only those votes for which both McCain and Obama were present that year--33 votes--McCain's support score was 94% while Obama's was 48%. CQ also noted in a recent post that McCain, Obama, and Biden voted on less than half the presidential support votes from January through August 2008.

(link)
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 04:30 am
@old europe,
McCain now wants us to believe he wants "change." There's a bridge on sale in Montana...