A big hound dog killed BBB's little Dolly dog today

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 11:16 pm
I'm heart broken. My Japanese Chin Dolly dog was killed by a big hound dog this morning. She was four years old and weighed only seven pounds. She was too small to defend herself.

Dolly, Madison and I had our usual play period in my bed after they woke up. Then I put them in the back yard to do their morning poops and pees. I made a big mistake and left them outside a little longer than I usually do. When I opened the sliding door, only Maddy appeared. Dolly was no where to be found.

I put on a robe over my nightgown and started looking and calling for Dolly. I didn't find any sign of Dolly in my next door neighbor's back yard. I looked over the fence into a neighboring yard next to my neighbor's yard. There I found the big hound standing over my Dolly, dead on the ground.

One of my neighbor's, who had seen me looking for Dolly, came to my assistance. We were able to get the neighbor's front gate opened. She got in the back yard, but the hound wouldn't let her touch Dolly. I diverted the hound's attention long enough for my neighbor to reach Dolly and bring her to me. I could see Dolly was dead but I took her in my arms to my vet to have her creamated. Her ashes will be scattered in the Sandia mountains near where the ashes of my Madison #1 were scattered.

Dolly had found a spot next to my back yard fence and dug her way out from the sandy soil to my neighbor's yard. Then she found some more soft sand along the other fence in my neighbor's yard. She dug a hole and got into the neighboring yard.

When she entered the neighboring yard, a big hound dog grabbed her, biting her throat, penetrating her trachea and crushing her throat, suffocating her.

So many people loved my sweet, loving Dolly. My Madison #2 just moped, pacing the house and whinning, trying to find Dolly. I knew I could not find another Japanese Chin. They are rare in New Mexico. I had to decide which breed to replace Dolly.

When I returned home from the Vet, I immediately scanned the newspaper for Shih Tzu breeders and found one about fifty miles from my home. I called her and learned she had a female brindle colored puppy eight weeks old. I put Maddy in the car and we drove to Moriarty. Maddy and the puppy immediately bonded. They started playing when we returned home. The new puppy's name is Dolly 2. Maddy recognizes the name and seems to accept it as a replacement for his beloved Dolly #1. It's not the same, but it helps Maddy and I to overcome our grief.

I've been so busy today finding and getting the new dog that the reality of Dolly's death has hardly sunk in. I will cry tomorrow.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 31 • Views: 20,875 • Replies: 125

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 11:22 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Sad Very sorry to hear about your friend, BBB
(((((((((( BumbleBeeBoogie )))))))))))
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 11:23 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
No words, just much concern for you, dear...

hugs
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 11:34 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
My condolences.

Animals do what it is natural for them to do.
It is fortunate that your new puppy is compatible with your older dog.

I have had dogs over the years n decades; mostly large breeds.
The natural life span of larger breeds is ofen around ten years.

Remember that u can select your own emotion.

In my opinion,
the Law of the Conservation of Energy applies to conscious life
and life goes on, tho u do not see it.

Good Luck with the new puppy.

David
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 11:36 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
bbb, life has not been very gentle with you lately. i am very sorry to hear about little Dolly. I hope the new addition to your family will help you and Maddy heal faster.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 11:43 pm
@dagmaraka,
BBB's Japanese Chin dog Dolly

http://www.justdogbreeds.com/images/breeds/japanese-chin.jpg
roger

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 11:50 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Oh my god, BBB. I'm so sorry to hear this.
Izzie

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 12:14 am
@roger,
Oh BBB

I'm so very sorry - you are certainly having to cope with a huge gamut of emotions right now. I'm so glad you are here and talking with your friends. Folk care for you very much. Dolly 2 will be very loved by you. Take care girl. Thinking of you and yours - hope you're son is improving. Much love. Iz x
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 12:19 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((BEAR HUG)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
bathsheba

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 12:31 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
BBB,
I don't know you very well but have always liked your avatars with your doggie photos. I'm so sorry you lost Dolly! I'm a dog lover too, always have been. At least Dolly knew she was loved.

That hound dog sounds a wee bit dangerous. What if a child were to wander into that yard?!

I don't know if it will help, but when I have lost beloved dogs, I make a photo album with all the pics I can find of that dog. Remember nothing loved is every lost,

Bathsheba

0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 01:40 am
So sorry to hear this, BBB.

It is awful when these things happen, and as Daggles said, you've had more than your share of late.

I hope the new little pup helps both you and Madison.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((BBB))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 01:43 am
So very sorry to hear this.

Thinking of you.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 03:54 am
I'm so very sorry.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:36 am
Oh BBB, I'm so sorry to hear about your dear Dolly.
Terrible, just terrible .... Sad

Please give Dolly2 & Madison a big hug from me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:40 am
I'm sorry, BBB. I love dogs as though they were people. (((((BBB)))))
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:45 am
Holy crap! That's just terrible.

Sorry to hear of your loss BBB. It must be devestating for you.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:09 am
BBB, my heart goes out to you and your doggies. This is too sad for words.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:25 am
So sad. I know it is a big loss and realize how the loss of a beloved animal companion can affect a person. Hopefully, the arrival of Dolly2 will lessen the grief.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:29 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
so sorry to hear, BBB.
RIP Dolly dog...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:31 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BBB- I am so sorry. I know that the new puppy won't replace Dolly, but new life is always a comfort.
0 Replies