A big hound dog killed BBB's little Dolly dog today

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 07:33 am
Oh, BBB, I' m so sorry to hear about Dolly. I sincerely hope your new pet will give you comfort. Maddy's relationship with your new family member sounds delightful.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:54 pm
@Raggedyaggie,
My gardner and friend, Sal, came to my home this morning and spent three hours installing a better barrier along the bottom of the fence so that the dogs cannot dig under it and get out of the yard. Dolly was his favorite dog and was heart broken to learn she was dead. He wouldn't even let me pay him for his hard work.

BBB
Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 03:04 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Oh, that is good news, BBB.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 04:36 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:
Any animal will kill. It's called nature.

You can train an animal all you want, but you'll never get rid of their natural instincts.

Animals don't usually kill their own species - particularly pack animals over territory - there is argy-bargy until one submits. Dogs in the wild (and usually in domestic situations) form a pack structure. They like hierarchy and they like to know where they sit in it. I reiterate that the big hound dog is not right in the head. It's behaviour is not natural, it's been bred into certain breeds, or triggered by treatment received from humans. There is nothing 'natural' about it.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 04:54 pm
@hingehead,
I have learned that the hound dog that killed by Dolly was found on a freeway, wandering around. The dog was mal-nournished and thirsty. My neighbors saw the dog and put it in their car. They nourished it back to health and took it into their home about 10 months ago. They were shocked to learn that he had killed my 4-year old 7- pound Japanese Chin. They had no idea their dog could kill like that.

There is no way to know what kind of life the hound dog had before it was rescued. Was it abused? Why was it dumped on the road?

BBB
devriesj

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:45 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
So sad! I just found this thread, but have heard whisperings in my corner of the trivia & word games section. I'm so sorry, BBB! I suppose he/she could have been abused. No real way of knowing. I'm just really sorry for your loss. You doing ok?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:48 am
@hingehead,
You must really hate hunting dogs.
hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:53 am
@cjhsa,
I've never hunted a dog.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 07:37 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I went to the home of the neighbor who retrieved Dolly's body from the back yard yesterday to thank her for her courage in helping me. She's an interesting woman. On the few occasions we've met, she always mentions "The Lord", that she is doing "the Lord's work." Being an atheist, it's not a subject I want to get into with a neighbor.

We were sitting in her living room with her two small dogs, talking. She started telling me about her life and how "The Lord" saved her. She said she works at home, sewing. I asked her what kind of sewing did she do? She replied, "I create costumes for the STRIP SHOWS and go around to the strip clubs to sell them."

I nearly fell out of my chair and had to leave before I couldn't hide the giggles that were trying to burst out of my throat.

Then she continued her amazing life story. I would tell you the rest of it, but then Joe from Chicago should write the story about her.

BBB
aperson

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:09 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I have a dog also. I feel for you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 02:51 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
That's very funny, BBB! Laughing
cjhsa

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 08:34 am
@msolga,
We had a friend who worked as a stripper and our children were friends as well. The kids never realized those frilly "projects" they were making were pasties.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 08:42 am
@JPB,
Thanks for your clear instruction, JPB, I learned how to get my new avatar image to show on the new A2K:

http://able2know.org/topic/121565-1#post-3378439
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 08:58 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Just got word from my son that he passed the 5 mm kidney stones safely. Now his horrible pain in back to normal, hurting like hell but not as bad a kidney stones, until he has his total right knee replacement September 26th. His left knee will be replaced in about two years and will be followed by his left hip replacement when he's able to do it. He will have a long stretch of not being able to work. I'm trying to help him financially.

Both 2's, Dolly and Madison, are devoted to each other. They are so funny together, they make me laugh.

Life is slowly getting a little better.

BBB
High Seas

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:34 pm
@hingehead,
Hingehead - I don't know anything about you but I'm willing to bet good money you have never gone hunting with hounds.

Their entire nature is to run after, and kill, any animal that looks like a mink or a fox - and they will do so instantaneously if that animal just happens to be coming out of a foxhole, which is exactly what BBB's Japanese Chin was doing. Here's a Japanese Chin:
http://www.akc.org/images/breeds/japanese_chin/lg_artwork.jpg

It's possible, of course, that the hound in question is deranged by (hypothetical) mistreatment he suffered in the past, but it seems to me much more likely that he mistook the Chin for his natural quarry. He probably realized his error too late.
sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:41 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Glad things are looking up, BBB...!
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:45 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BBB - sorry about your loss. The neighbors' hound is probably perfectly safe and friendly, and no danger to persons or any animal who doesn't look like a fox, a mink, sadly also a Japanese Chin, especially if that animal is climbing out of a foxhole! You really should repair that fence if you plan to keep dogs like that - this sad event would (most probably) never have taken place if your dog had been another hound.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:49 pm
@High Seas,
I had already taken action to prevent Dolly from digging under the fence but she is so small, she was able to sqeeze through the wire fence I put and the pots I placed to block her from reacing the fence. None of my efforts worked.

This week, I found a different type of barrier that will absolutely prevent my dogs from digging under the fence and it is installed---too late to save my sweet Dolly.

BBB
High Seas

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:54 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BBB - yes, too late for poor little Dolly, but definitely the right thing to do for your other dogs.

Maybe you should tell the neighbors also - I'm sure they must be worried about their dog being - perhaps - aggressive, which I personally doubt for the reasons I explained. Again, my sympathy - glad to hear you're getting better.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:59 pm
@High Seas,
Word spread around my neighborhood fast when I found Dolly dead.

I have not yet talked to the neighbor hound owners. I'm trying to take enough time that I don't cry when I talk to them. They feel bad enough about what their hound did. My next door neighbor told them what happened and asked them to recover Dolly's collar and tags. They've not brought them to me yet.

BBB