Transportation options -- New Jersey to NYC

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:20 pm
A friend and I have decided to take a trip to NYC to see the Yankees and Mets before they tear down their stadiums. We will be in the area Aug. 25-27. Right now, we're looking at lodging options. The most affordable are in the Newark airport area. If we go for that option, we would probably take some form of public transportation into the city and then spend the day there, coming back late at night. My questions:

1. Is there an affordable, reliable form of transportation between the Newark Airport area and the city (I know there's the bus from the airport -- is there a train as well?);

2. Would it be possible to park the car at a convenient (and reasonably priced) lot and take the train/bus into the city?

3. Would it be ok to leave the car in the lot for most of the day (I expect that we'd probably get back late at night -- maybe after midnight)?

4. Is there a better option than the Newark Airport area? I've seen hotels in Hoboken-Jersey City area as well. Is that better? Worse?

We'll be seeing the Mets game on the 24th and the Yankees game on the 25th, so my nights are busy, but if I could convince some of the NYC A2Kers would like to do lunch on one of those days, that would be awesome.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:24 pm
@joefromchicago,
Joe - call the SIHNYC - Seafarers International Hostel. Union Square and Broadway. 11th and Irving, I believe. Close to the Metro and buses. Seriously affordable. Close to, well, just everything.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:28 pm
@joefromchicago,
It's an interesting place aside from its affordability.
I've stayed there on my last three trips to Manhattan. brendalee, the Empress and Walter stayed there during last year's trip as well.

http://www.sihnyc.org/newyork-guesthouse.php

It was about $129 for a big double with private bathroom last year (and earlier this year when the Empress went back with her adult daughter). The W, just around the block, charged about $500 for a comparably sized room.

It's clean, definitely unpretentious, and mmmmm affordable.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:48 pm
@ehBeth,
Single rooms were about $80 - with shared bathroom just around the corner (but sink inside the room).

Free coffee (nearly free: 50 c) as well: more than value the money.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:30 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
1. Is there an affordable, reliable form of transportation between the Newark Airport area and the city (I know there's the bus from the airport -- is there a train as well?);

The Eastern Corridor line of New Jersey Transit stops at Newark Airport and New York Penn Station. The ride is about 25 minutes. (I assume that by "the" city, you mean New York and not Newark, although that deeply offends me as a New Jerseyan.)

joefromchicago wrote:
2. Would it be possible to park the car at a convenient (and reasonably priced) lot and take the train/bus into the city?

3. Would it be ok to leave the car in the lot for most of the day (I expect that we'd probably get back late at night -- maybe after midnight)?

The parking directly at the airport is reputed to be short-term and expensive. I haven't verified that claim yet.

When I fly out from EWR, I usually use one of the parking lots around the airport. The way it works is that I park my car, they bring me to the terminal with their shuttle; and when I get back, I give them a call, and their shuttle takes you back to the parking lot. I'm pretty sure they'd bring you to the airport train station instead of the terminal, too.

But in my opinion, if you're staying at one of the hotels near the airport, your best option is to take the hotel shuttle and leave the car at the hotel. You'll be drunk when you return anyway.

joefromchicago wrote:
4. Is there a better option than the Newark Airport area? I've seen hotels in Hoboken-Jersey City area as well. Is that better? Worse?

You could sleep over at my place if you want, which is 45-55 minutes from Penn Station via New Jersey Transit's trains. I'll probably be in Boston on the 25th; but I could give you the key when you're coming in on the 24th. (Are you coming in on the 24th? It isn't clear to me from your post whether it's the 24th or the 25th.) The advantage is that my rates are very competitive. On the other hand, ehBeth's sailor's hotel is closer to the action. Whatever works best for you.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 06:49 am
@joefromchicago,
Joe, I made my Yankee Stadium trip just 2 weeks ago from Chicago. If you're driving I would suggest adding about 2-3 hours to the time listed on google maps. Getting around NYC was horrible; I hate Chicago too, but it is MUCH easier.

I'd be curious to get your impression of Yankee Stadium when you get back.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 08:10 am
ehBeth: Thanks for that info. I'll make that "plan B."

Walter: If I end up making reservations there, I'll let you know how much it costs.

Thomas: Thanks for the offer. The way you described things, though, it sounds like staying in Manhattan is a better option. To be more precise about my plans, we'll be driving from Chicago on the 24th, but we'll probably stay that night somewhere in Pennsylvania (don't want to overdo it on the first day). We'll get into the NYC area on the morning of the 25th.

maporsche: I think we'll either stay in New Jersey and take the bus/train into the city, or else we'll drop off the car at a friend's place in NJ and stay in the city. No way we're driving into Manhattan.

I'll provide a full report of my trip when I return.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 09:23 am
@joefromchicago,
If you stay at the SIHNYC you can post an update from the little old computer in the lobby.

(if I buy a lottery ticket and win, I'm buying the SIHNYC a new puter)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:25 pm
@ehBeth,
Bethie

Useful information.

I've never been to the Americas - but something tells me I should!

Filing it away for later
Laughing Cool
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 09:37 pm
@joefromchicago,
I'm free all day on the 24th. (Beach plans are in the making but hey, a chance to meet another Joe, hey!)
Park in the hotel parking. There should be a hotel shuttle which can take you to the New Jersey Transit train from the airport that drops you off at Penn Station NY. http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainSchedulesFrom
From there you would take the subway to Shea.
From Penn Station: take the A or C line one stop to 42nd street.
Walk through the tunnel (follow the signs) to the 7 train.
Get off at Willets Station/ Shea stadium with all the other Metsidiots.

Same thing the next day except to get to Yankee Stadium from Penn Station you take the A or C to 59th Street and transfer (just wait on the same platform) for the D train.
The D train takes you right to Yankee Stadium.
Get off when you see the four hundred guys and gals in pin stripe shirts get off. (
Or 161st Street)
(For some reason there is no sign that says YANKEES at 161 st Street.
go figure.

I'd be happy to meet with you guys, help you find your way through the trains.
I can be at Penn when you get there. Figure out how to PM me and send me your number and you can have mine.

Joe(screw the Yankees, go Boston!)Nation
joefromchicago

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:09 am
@Joe Nation,
Thanks for the tips, Joe Nation. I will be on the road the 24th -- won't even get into NYC until the 25th, so meeting up on Sunday doesn't work for me. Any chance of having lunch on the 26th? Or maybe a late night drink after the ball game? And, of course, I'd be thrilled to meet any of the many other NYC area A2Kers as well.

Now, an update on my plans: I gave ehBeth's suggestion a shot and landed a room at the Seafarer's hostel. $131/night for a double with a private bath (ooh, swanky!). So I'll be staying in Manhattan rather than northern Jersey. The inn is right off of Union Square -- perfectly located for us. The nearby 14th St/Union Sq. subway station provides a direct link to both Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium. And if the place turns out to be a rat-infested hellhole, I have ehBeth to blame. So it's win-win for me!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 08:24 am
@joefromchicago,
ha! I'll accept the blame. I'm a fan of those good Lutherans.

There is a nice little neighbourhood pub right beside the SIHNYC. Taste of Green is the name as I recall. Good for going in for a half and a sandwich if you need a quiet break. There is a Trader Joe's on 11th just south of the SIHNYC - handy if you need any supplies.

Walking along Irving Place toward Union Square you pass the Fillmore East and the Lee Strasberg theatre. Entertaining to see groupies and aspiring thespians.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:22 am
@joefromchicago,
A quick follow-up on my trip.

We stayed at the Seafarer's Inn: the room was small and the furnishings spartan, but it was clean, the staff was efficient and friendly, and the location was outstanding. Furthermore, it was about half as expensive as the least expensive hotel in NYC. All in all, I was very pleased with the accommodations, and I wouldn't hesitate to return. Thanks again to ehBeth for suggesting that option.

Sorry that I wasn't able to connect with the NYC A2K contingent. Because of my schedule, I really didn't have any free time in the evening, and only limited time during the day on Tuesday to do some sightseeing. The next time I'm in the area, I'll make sure to leave at least one evening free for a meet-up.
maporsche

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:28 am
@joefromchicago,
Joe...how'd you like your Yankee game experience?
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:32 am
@maporsche,
The Yankees game was quite enjoyable -- final score Boston 7, New York 3. I thought there would be more animosity between the Yanks fans and the visiting Red Sox fans, but I didn't see very much of that. Most of the hostility, in fact, was directed by Yankees fans toward Alex Rodriguez, who was roundly booed for most of the game. Tough crowd.
maporsche

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:35 am
@joefromchicago,
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. I went on 8/1 and had a pretty horrible time at the game. I was in the outfield bleachers and really did not enjoy the entire experience.

I was at Fenway on 8/2 and had a great time though
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 01:00 pm
@joefromchicago,
joe from another big city wrote:
the room was small and the furnishings spartan, but it was clean, the staff was efficient and friendly

a little bit of Lake Wobegon in the Big Apple Cool

Location location location.

That place has location (and if you're a member of one of the mariner's unions it's only about $25/night - as I discovered when my friend the Marine Engineer picked a couple of us up for dinner there).
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 01:11 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
... and if you're a member of one of the mariner's unions it's only about $25/night ...

... or if you have a (German, since it's an official German seafarer's mission, too) Seaman's Record Book - what I discovered too late.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 11:35 am
@margo,
7 years later margo finally stayed at the SIHNYC!

and I love those Lutherans even more Smile
0 Replies

benloy25

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2015 05:55 am
I'm traveling to NYC in the summer. I will probably get there around 6 or 7 am. I want to take the train to the city because last time it took me around four hours to get to my hotel when using super shuttle. However, I'm concerned about my luggage. Is it safe for me to take the train even if I'm carrying one big bag? Or should I suck it up and stick to the shuttle?