Why is everyone upset up the pink hats?

Gala

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 01:17 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
If you've been going to Fenway for years, and have seen how the "fan" base has changed, you'd know why the pink hat crowd is lumped into a stereotype.

Fenway has gone from a place where red sox fans went to watch the sox play, to a fashionable summer drinking fest for anyone who can drop the $$ to go see a game, including annoying girls who have no f'n clue what the hell is going on in the game, are not baseball fans, can only name 2 players on the team, and tell guys they're huge sox fans hoping it makes them more attractive.

Those wearing pink hats usually fit into the bandwagon-jumping stereotype. You can even ask a chick who's a real red sox fan if she has a pink hat, and see the dirty look you'll get.

That's why.

Reading this is difficult, but you've got it right-- The hats represent the new economy and the dumbing down of baseball.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 01:48 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Linkat wrote:
And how many world series has the yankees won this century?

Hmmmm - ZERO!

And in Boston how many?

Wonder which team is professional?

Cute, referring the "this century." The first world series was in 1903, so referring to the seven series which have taken place in "this century" is hardly conclusive.

Obviously, the New York team are the professionals. The Yankees have won 26 world series titles, and 39 league pennants. How many world series titles have the Red Sox won? Oh yeah, six . . . and how long was their drought? Oh year, 1918--2004.

Definitely, the New York team are the real professionals.

wow, i never really got team sports. it's almost as if people were talking about something they are personally responsible for or was part of their immediate family...and not this money making conglomerate... weird stuff.

Actually, i'm not a fan of the Yankees, but it is a wonderful opportunity to jerk the chains of Red Sox fans. The Yankees and the Red Sox are both members of the American League, and long-time rivals.

In fact, i was always a Giants fan (National League rather than American League). When i was a small child, i liked the Giants, because i believed that they were literally giant baseball players. My paternal grandfather was appalled--he seemed to think it was the patriotic duty of anyone who was native to the Bronx to be a Yankees fan. He seriously resented it, even though i was all of four years old when i told him i liked the Giants.

In 1958, the Giants moved from New York to San Francisco. I long continued to follow their fortunes, and especially as Willie Mays, a star of the Giants, was the closest to a sports idol i had as a child. However, Willie was traded to the New York Mets (which was actually a good thing at the end of his career, allowing him to go back to a city he loved, and fans who loved him), and i was pleased that he got to participate in the 1969 World Series, when the "Miracle Mets" defeated the Baltimore Orioles.

After that, i lost interest in professional sports, largely. I do greatly appreciate professional football, however. On a Sunday afternoon, nothing will put me to sleep faster than lying on the sofa in front of the television during a football game.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 01:58 pm
i'm a football fan myself. i don't know who's who but they do have the best uniforms. the butts, man, the butts on those people!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 02:15 pm
margo wrote:
Baseball? Professional? Nope!

we play cricket here. Baseball is the very poor relative! And hardly any other country plays it.

Still wanna pink 'at, though! I could wear it at tennis. It looks pretty generic. No-one needs to know where it came from Razz

and SOCKS!

As for where it came from, it appears to have been an English game. In Northanger Abbey, a novel by Jane Austen published posthumously, the heroine, Catherine, is described as what we might today call a tomboy, and one of the games she is described as playing is baseball. It was written in that manner, too, as one word, even though for years afterward, in the United States it was written as two words, base ball. The novel was based on a childhood story she had written, Catherine, or the Bower, and was completed for publication in 1798. It sat around on a publisher's shelf until he finally sold it back to her father, and it was published after her death in 1817.

I always like to bring it up, though--just about every spring, baseball fans exchange letters in the New York Times about the origins of the game, and speak of articles in local newspapers in the 1830s about games of "base ball" between New York and New Jersey teams. Fanatics about baseball don't like to be told it is a game that girls played in England in the 18th century. The New York Times long ago stopped publishing my letters when i wrote in.

As for hardly any other country playing it, that is a foolish and naive remark on your part. The Japanese and the Chinese of Taiwan are mad for it. The Japanese have a professional league every bit as faithfully followed by Japanese fans, and involving just as much hooplah and heavy financial investment as the teams in the United States. A few Japanese players have even ended up playing in the United States.

But more than that, the people of Mexico, Central America and the West Indian Islands are mad for baseball. Some of the greatest players in the history of the sport in the United States have been and continue to be from Mexico, Central America and the Islands. In fact, on the team which was my favorite, the Giants, there was a trio of brothers who all came from the Dominican Republic (a nation which shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti), and who all began their professional careers with the Giants: Filipe, Matty and Jesus Alou. In fact, in a game in 1963 in the Polo Grounds in New York (the early home of the Mets, and once the home of the Giants when they were in New York), Al Dark, the manager, used the Alou brothers as pinch hitters, creating a unique event, the only time that three brothers batted consecutively in a game.

But the one nation which is really as crazy for baseball as the United States is Cuba. Yes, Cuba. They are also the scariest competition the United States faces in the Pan-American Games in baseball, which Americans feel is "their" game, but which the other nations of the western hemisphere consider to be just as much theirs as the Americans'. Before Castro, there were a lot of Cuban players in Major League Baseball, and "Red" Schoendienst, better known to most baseball fans as the manager of the St. Louis Cardinals, once made baseball history while he was a player, when, due to substitutions during a game against the Washington Senators, he hit into the only all-Cuban double play combination in major league history (that means that the entire infield, four of the nine players, were Cuban).

Cuba beat the United States for the gold medal in the Pan-Am Games last year. Castro is a fanatic for baseball, and, incidentally, a fan of the New York Yankees. Sometimes the games are marred when Cuban players defect during the games, when major league recruiters wave millions of dollars under their noses. The last time i recall this was when the Pan-Am games were held in Winnipeg, in Canada, in 1999, and eight Cuban players defected.

Americans have had to eat crow for years while Little League (boys and girls aged eight to twelve years old) teams from Taiwan or Japan, or from Central America or the Islands have won the Little League World Series. Once considered the sole province of American teams, it has gotten to the point that Little League fans go crazy when an American team manages to beat the Chinese of the Japanese, who have dominated the tournaments for the last few decades.

I suspect you don't know too damned much about "base-oo-ball."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 02:24 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
i'm a football fan myself. i don't know who's who but they do have the best uniforms. the butts, man, the butts on those people!

Now there's a sentiment of which i highly approve. Don't be fooled by the hype and the glitz, go right to the heart of what matters to you!

http://www.1976design.com/blog/images/512a.jpg
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 02:35 pm
I've always suspected Setanta was attracted to football players butts.

I guess it was something in his writing style.

But...whatever. Doesn't really matter.

Let him play.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 03:26 pm
Setanta wrote:
I suspect you don't know too damned much about "base-oo-ball."

Well - that's true.

However, I try not to miss too many chances to take the piss of out Americans (that great Australian sport) - and usually get a bite - such as your attempted demolition of me!

Setanta - you disappoint me Twisted Evil You - of all people should have known better!!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 07:09 am
this is weird for me...

i actually have the opportunity to correct Setanta Shocked
ok, i'm nervous... < deep breath >

Setanta wrote:
However, Willie was traded to the New York Mets (which was actually a good thing at the end of his career, allowing him to go back to a city he loved, and fans who loved him), and i was pleased that he got to participate in the 1969 World Series, when the "Miracle Mets" defeated the Baltimore Orioles.

actually mays didn't join the mets until the 1972 season.
however he did get 7 at-bats in the 1973 series, when the metsies lost to the A's... (source)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 11:06 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Linkat wrote:
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
If you've been going to Fenway for years, and have seen how the "fan" base has changed, you'd know why the pink hat crowd is lumped into a stereotype.

Fenway has gone from a place where red sox fans went to watch the sox play, to a fashionable summer drinking fest for anyone who can drop the $$ to go see a game, including annoying girls who have no f'n clue what the hell is going on in the game, are not baseball fans, can only name 2 players on the team, and tell guys they're huge sox fans hoping it makes them more attractive.

Those wearing pink hats usually fit into the bandwagon-jumping stereotype. You can even ask a chick who's a real red sox fan if she has a pink hat, and see the dirty look you'll get.

That's why.

My daughter knows about baseballs - plays too and has attended a Big Papi batting clinic and Papi adored her. He even remembered her name at the end of the session - and everyone knows that Papi doesn't remember most names.

She sports a pink cap and she is a true red sox and baseball fan - we even attend many of the minor games in the area (because the red sox cost so damn much)! So blah to you, slappy do you know Papi on a first name basis?

That's great. I wasn't picking on your daughter. You asked why people hate the pink hats, and I told you. It's a stereotype, obviously not all pink hat wearers fit into it.

I was just teasing you Slappy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 11:08 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Linkat wrote:
And how many world series has the yankees won this century?

Hmmmm - ZERO!

And in Boston how many?

Wonder which team is professional?

Cute, referring the "this century." The first world series was in 1903, so referring to the seven series which have taken place in "this century" is hardly conclusive.

Obviously, the New York team are the professionals. The Yankees have won 26 world series titles, and 39 league pennants. How many world series titles have the Red Sox won? Oh yeah, six . . . and how long was their drought? Oh year, 1918--2004.

Definitely, the New York team are the real professionals.

wow, i never really got team sports. it's almost as if people were talking about something they are personally responsible for or was part of their immediate family...and not this money making conglomerate... weird stuff.

Ah most of its just play - although there are some who do really get angry about it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 11:11 am
dagmaraka wrote:

I agree 100%! The best uniforms of any sport.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 12:04 pm
Linkat wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

I agree 100%! The best uniforms of any sport.

I kinda like the women's beach volleyball uniforms.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 05:02 pm
Well, if i posted an image for Dashenka of guys in tight football uniforms, it's only fair for me to do the same for George . . .

http://image61.webshots.com/61/8/58/25/446585825XeYJnT_ph.jpg
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 07:51 pm
Yowza.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 03:50 pm
@Linkat,
It would make an interesting bet between a Yankees fan and a Red Sox fan (both fans have to be male). Whatever they bet on, whomever loses must wear the pink baseball hat of their archrivals ... if the Red Sox fan loses the bet he must wear the pink NY Yankees hat for ... let's say a month out there in the public and vice versa if the Yankees fan loses that same bet.
http://allstarsportsshop.com/images/GNYY/NYY-GWARS.GIF

Should we find a pair of baseball fans to find for this makeshift social sporting experiment? And what should the bet actually be? And who will referee this bet?
Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 10:09 am
@tsarstepan,
How dare you put a Yankee's hat on my thread!
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 12:29 pm
@Linkat,

those noo yawkers -- they have no class...

R(native noo yawker)P
0 Replies