Good wines with cool style

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 08:58 pm
Wines that taste good and are cheap (9-12 bucks) aren't easy to find. Add an interesting label and angle and there are few. I've found a couple of fun-labeled wines in the above category.

I've recommended the Ca'del Solo Big House Red before Bonny Doon Vinyard
http://damngoodwine.com/BigHouse.jpg

I've recently found and tried Big Tattoo Red Big Tattoo Red
http://www.bigtattoored.com/BTR%20frnt%20label-3.gif

Big Tattoo Red is a memorial wine made in dedication to the vintners' late mother. 50 cents from each bottle sold goes to a hospice in Virginia or to cancer research. And it tastes good.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,615 • Replies: 66
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 09:03 pm
nice k!!!
Ill be on the lookout for big tattoo red
Having the labels in mind is a good visual when scanning the bottles..excellent!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 09:06 pm
Yes, I agree that labels are important for finding a wine.

Big House Red is funny because when you look closely at the label you notice it's a jail break scene.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 09:20 pm
Great idea, littlek -- I'm always looking for a good, cheap, cool-looking wine too! I can't wait to try the ones you mentioned.

One I like is a South African Red called Goats do Roam.

http://a820.g.akamai.net/f/820/822/1d/i.ivillage.co.uk/uk_en/a_ukpix/article/coatswinecover.jpg
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 09:39 pm
littlek, we are HUGE fans of Bonny Doon...sadly, with exchange rates and all, here in Canada, the wines exceed the price range suggested for this thread. Cardinal Zin....with the Ralph Steadman label....beautiful wine, beautiful art. We saved the bottle which is on display in our humble abode.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 10:15 pm
Thanks guys!

There is also a wine called Sin Zin - a red zinfandel, but it's a bit more expensive. VERY good. It's up around $20 bucks a bottle. Alexander Valley Vinyards

http://a21.g.akamai.net/7/21/2389/dd276b4c39d11d/www.wine.com/labels/7607l.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 11:13 pm
Aack, I know that Bonny Doon is close to universally loved. And once, long ago, a director friend brought a person who represented Bonny Doon wines in Italy (now there is an interesting job) to visit our house...but, alas,
I have had personal trouble with them. I bought the white Ca' del Solo, and thought it tasted like fine grapefruit juice. I think I also tried the red and didn't like it, but I am not positive of that. Not this year, though.

A client gives us a case of Rosemount Shiraz from Australia ($9.99 a bottle, I think, at Costco) and it is better than some of our usual swill.

Actually I find this question hard to answer. I like a lot of really good wine really well, but I can't afford it. I can't even afford to scoop up bottles for 8.99.

We have a local place called Canned Foods, an outlet store, and for work we tend to buy four or five bottles of wine marked down to 3.99 and give them the old taste test and mostly the old heave ho. When one passes, we get a case.

Right now I can swallow wine by a place called Covey Run - they make a fume blanc and a chard. (Yakima Valley, 1998). Prolly just on its way out. But fine for a bit of a lift at work.

Liked a white recently by Ferrari-Carraro, again I think it was a fume blanc, $24.00, for us, only $12. OK, we were desperate, there was a client coming over - after usual hours - that we needed a little boost to endure. She says, smiling.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 07:25 am
Wow! A case of Rosemont Shiraz! Nice bonus!

The Ca Del Sol white was terrible when I tried it too.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 07:50 am
Jeez...Rosemount Shiraz is about $15 Canadian...taking exchange into account, the Niagara VQA Malivoire Rose is wonderful, at $15 CDN. We haven't been disappointed so far with any of their wines, but with summer here, the Ladybug Rose is amazing.

http://www.malivoirewineco.com/
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 07:57 am
Thanks Cav! I've been looking for good wines made closer to home.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:13 am
Nothing says "class" at a bargain more than...

http://www.thedrinksgroup.co.uk/mdspread.jpg
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 10:07 am
That's my boy. Getting more into my price range these days, slap.

Big House Red breaks my heart now. Back when I lived down there ('bout five miles from their center of operations, the gf even nannied at a place overlooking their modest -- and possibly just-for-show -- domestic vineyard) the stuff was five and a half or six bucks a bottle, and we drank it like water. Those days are over, though. We may even have been partly responsible for the price increase, given the volume we bought it in...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 10:39 am
Randall Graham is one of my personal heroes. Never met him, but I've seen him around. Bumped into him at San Jose's airport a few years ago.

For a refreshing summer wine, try the Vin Gris de Cigare, a "grey wine", which looks like a white zinfandel but is dry, not sweet. An American rose with panache.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 10:50 am
Wifey met Randall at a trade show, got an autograph and all. Vin Gris is a fave, but the Malivoire is cheaper, and in a similar style.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 10:58 am
Let's not forget the goodness that is Boone's Farm.

http://64.95.118.51/images/opti/35/5b/fddkHornsby_s_Pubdrafts_Amber_Hard_Cider-resized200.gif
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 11:00 am
Slappy so ghetto it hurts...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 11:04 am
When I was a freshman in college, all the chicks drank that stuff, I remember strawberry hill the most. I'd run out of beer, and throw down a bottle...good times.

Hey, I went to a big wine expo earlier this year...couldn't tell you one wine I learned about. Just walked around, drinkin'. All I know is I like red better than white. And that's pretty much all I care about learning. Cuz I'm a GUY! And I like FOOTBALL! And CAMAROS!!!

Just kidding about the camaros. Kind of.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 11:16 am
Don't joke on my Uncle Boone.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 12:00 pm
Hey Boones Farm..excellent choice slapdog...it had its moments...high school but, you know..you gotta do it Smile

okay, Ill add one of my favorites

http://www.winewebcentral.com/blackswan/images/wines/cab_btl.jpg

I particularly enjoyed the 1999 blend and should give some of the others a shot but, no big wine splaces close by sadly.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 12:23 pm
Boone's Farm is still being drunk by college kids? Amazing. That stuff came out when I was in school, 30+ years ago. I, of course, drank it, before graduting to something European and sparkling, I forget what, but probably as sweet.

Re bargain wines (and wine in general): It depends on where you live. When the NY Times lists interesting wines on Weds., I often show the article to a friend who runs a wine shop here. He says a lot of what they sell in NYC isn't available here. And vice versa, I suppose, only we're a lot farther from Europe...
0 Replies