"Seabiscuit" Out of the Gate Slowly

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 06:28 pm
It looks like the same scenerio as "Chicago" with around a 20M start for this well praised filmation of the sports story of the 30's. Anyone seen it yet? It's listed on the Ebert Current Cinema but I thought I'd start it's own thread as I feel we'll all be talking about this film for many months.
All the critics say the film contains most brilliantly filmed racing sequences
ever. I'm anxious to see this one at my local multiplex.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,991 • Replies: 47
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 06:43 pm
Saw it this past weekend.

Marvelous film, will win many Oscars, but couldn't hold a candle to Laura Hillenbrand's marvelous book.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 07:16 pm
Absolutely gorgeus scenes in the film from Santa Anita to Calmut farm.

Though way off from the actual story of SeaBiscuit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 08:27 pm
I hear I have to see this one.
I used to read those Sports Stories of 1955 type books...those books went back quite a way. Remember some good (well, to me at the time) writing on Seabiscuit.
Aside from being a sucker for a good horse story, I like to see good editing, and the racing sequences interest me.
0 Replies

dancer

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 12:26 pm
Saw this movie this past weekend. Although it had somewhat of a slow beginning, it turned out to be an excellent movie. I would most definitely recommend it, especially to horse lovers.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 12:33 pm
Welcome, dancer to A2K and the Film Forum. Good -- we need more current movie goers (I am remiss sometimes in waiting for too many of them to make it to Pay-Per-View or DVD -- I don't use my studio preview connections any longer because I don't want to drive to Burbank!)
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 06:00 pm
Go see it, Lightwizard. I am still trying to figure out how they shot some of those scenes. The story is compelling,too, without being cloying.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:33 am
Hey, Mr. Wizard. I'd really like to see this one. I love the fact that Jeff Bridges does "out of the past" movies, such as "Tucker, a Man and His Dream".. Cool
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:46 am
I can't get the film here but the website of it looks great!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 01:39 pm
I think the film is being release in European countries next month. Walter. I'm anxious to get the book so I think I'll shop around the Interet for the best buy. Thanks for the link, too!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 10:20 am
Went to the Sunday matinee at the new Krikorean multiplex which just opened near me (and Knott's Berry Farm, so I could have stopped in for some good ole fried chicken).

The film is almost impossible to criticize as it has so much heart and soul. It would be nitpicking and just a display of filmmaking knowledge to point out any flaws. They did some storyline changes to keep the film propelled forward -- their decision and I agree. All I've got to say that by the time the race of Seabiscuit and War Admiral about two thirds of the way through the film, I thought I had taken six Niacin tables. The racing sequences are heart pumping, very elevating experiences. The audience I sat with were cheering and applauding -- the same experience I had with "Chicago." If there's a film out there to beat this for the Oscar, it's got to have a lot going for it. Needless to say, I love this film. It's a masterpiece of traditional filmmaking with some judicious modern action special effects which are so seamless as to go unnoticed. That's how they filmed the racing sequences with such realism, I believe. Anyone who doesn't go and see this on the big screen at your local theater is depriving themselves of an unsentimental, powerful and spirit elevating experience.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 04:20 pm
Yes, it is indeed all that.

Bridges hasn't won an Oscar yet, has he? This is his turn.

Best Picture, Best Cinematography also (you heard it here first).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 04:28 pm
Barry Fitzgerald played the trainer in the original "The Story of Seabizkit". He distinguisged himself in what way re; the Academy?
As far as the book and Seabizkit, theyre different, focus on different aspects, Ones not better than the other IMO. Good flick (girls love it, )
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 04:37 pm
Barry Fitzgerald played the trainer in the original "The Story of Seabizkit". He distinguisged himself in what way re; the Academy?
As far as the book and Seabizkit, theyre different, focus on different aspects, Ones not better than the other IMO. Good flick (girls love it, )
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 04:41 pm
I agree, Bridges does an on-target, believable performance. You truly believe even with his recognizable face that he is that person.

Barry Fitzgerald won an Oscar for his potrayal of Father Fitzgibbon in "Going My Way." I am making it a point to pick up the book now. I've heard critics say the film is successful in it's way as the book was successful in it's way. Anyway one looks at it, it's a hellava tale -- one that would be nearly impossible to make up.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 06:23 pm
It goes beyond that Wiz. Fitzgerald set a stunning standard from which the academy had to legislate. I learned this last week in a conversation with my dear wife who is a killer movie trivia nut.

Youre right on about the merit of BISKIT. We drove over to Bangor to see it and it was funny hearing all those Maine accents leaving the theater , not a "I didnt like it" among em.
Whatd Ebert give it?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 06:43 pm
Ebert's review (apparantly stingy with that 1/2 star because he is more enamoured with dogs than horses -- maybe he'd rather see a film about dog racing. That would really turn him off, considering the scandals in that sport):

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-seabiscuit25f.html
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 06:06 am
well, to close my original point about Barry Fitzgerald. He was nominated for best actor and best supporting actor in "Going My Way"
It was the only time this occured and the academy, very flumoxed, had to create a special rule that prevented this from ever happening again.
As it turned out that Fitzgerald was up against his partner Bing Crosby , but Crosby was voted as best actor and Fitzgerald got best supporting. I thought this was interesting , a good bar bet.

Ebert always has some snotty little thing to say. I saw in our local paper this AM that schales had said he was wondering where the name seabiskit came from, Whats a seabiskit? I say , just shut up and watch the damn movie.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 06:21 am
farmerman wrote:
Whats a seabiskit? I say , just shut up and watch the damn movie.

Some's us enjoys entymology, farmerdude.

Quote:
Sailors in past times distinguished their calling from others and honored their foods with insulting names. "Grub" and "bully" were used as general terms for food. A "whack" was a sailor's portion. "Salt junk" often referred to salt pork. "Salt horse" was salt beef, even though in all likelihood not that many horses were barreled up for sea. Even in the 20th century, an old navy man told me, salami was nicknamed "horse cock," though we know that's not the origin of salami at all.

Potatoes were spuds. A 17th century meaning of spud was "a short, stumpy person," and by the 19th century had become Scottish slang for potato. Sea biscuit was "hardtack." Tack meant "stuff," often "foodstuff," and by extension "breadstuff," and since the forecastle crew got the hard stuff, it should be no surprise that the fresh bread baked for the captain's cabin was the soft stuff, or "soft tack."

The language of food afloat
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:12 am
PDiddie wrote:
farmerman wrote:
Whats a seabiskit? I say , just shut up and watch the damn movie.

Some's us enjoys entymology, farmerdude.

Quote:
Sailors in past times distinguished their calling from others and honored their foods with insulting names. "Grub" and "bully" were used as general terms for food. A "whack" was a sailor's portion. "Salt junk" often referred to salt pork. "Salt horse" was salt beef, even though in all likelihood not that many horses were barreled up for sea. Even in the 20th century, an old navy man told me, salami was nicknamed "horse cock," though we know that's not the origin of salami at all.

Potatoes were spuds. A 17th century meaning of spud was "a short, stumpy person," and by the 19th century had become Scottish slang for potato. Sea biscuit was "hardtack." Tack meant "stuff," often "foodstuff," and by extension "breadstuff," and since the forecastle crew got the hard stuff, it should be no surprise that the fresh bread baked for the captain's cabin was the soft stuff, or "soft tack."

The language of food afloat

Just a quick note...His sire was Hard Tack, Dam : Swing on

Smile
0 Replies