When has religion irked you personally and why?

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 02:55 pm
That irks me...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 02:59 pm
Well, Our Dear Wabbit, i would be irked if it weren't so damned hilarious . . .
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:05 pm
the truth hurts....
and generally does IRK people off....
Cool
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:07 pm
Nah - 'tis the assumption that you HAVE the truth that is irking - but only mildly....
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:28 pm
ok dlowan...
i respect your opinions and hope you will respect mine and not them bother you so much. As I have mentioned before....I'd rather let GOD be my judge and worry about what irks him.....and as far as the reason for my first post anyway.....there are many things that irk me about religion and one of them is how people think their religion and beliefs are the only right thing and discriminate upon those who dont believe the same way. Instead of everyone respecting what another believes...and just worry about themselves.
I never said you have to believe in GOD...thats your choice. But at least let it be mine and show a little respect and quit getting so irk'ed before you have to be perscribed nitroglycerin pills..........
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:34 pm
LOL! It was you doing exactly what you are denouncing: ie "one of them is how people think their religion and beliefs are the only right thing" which did the irking, and following it up with a similar "truth hurts" - not your beliefs that did the irking.

But, fear not for my cardio-vascular system, 'twas but a wee irk.

Believe as you will, I shall never bother you if you do not claim to own the truth...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:36 pm
I have my own personal Truth in Jesus Christ Wink
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:37 pm
Quote:
the truth hurts....

lost_my_calgon- I think that you are back pedaling. In an earlier post you said,

Quote:
If you don't have the knowledge of the Lord within you then you better start reading and praying.
We should respect what others debate about and let GOD be the judge.

If that does not sound religiocentric, I don't know what is. As far as I am concerned, the entire concept of a God is not something to which I give any credence.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:38 pm
Just like a dress, the end is always near, but the beginning is closer. I loved that Blondie song 'Rapture'....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:38 pm
Testin' - but pass.....
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:53 pm
ok i can understand how i came across contradictory....allow me to explain

I believe in GOD. I respect anyones decesion to not believe in him and to follow a different path. I"M asking you to respect the fact that GOD is what I believe and with that belief I feel it is necessary to envoke a little guidance to those who don't believe.

This is why religion is irking....which is what this entire forum conversation was suppose to be about. Let me open my prozac's...ldowan...and all the rest of you.....you've finally irked me.
Rolling Eyes I need to go pray....goodbye
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:56 pm
It's each individual's prerogative to believe what they want, but I am under no obligation to repect them for it. I am perfectly within my right to consider the believers to be blithering idiots if I choose to and I too can offer my "guidance" to them.

Works both ways.
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:57 pm
just have to say as a newbie......
these forums seem much more entertaining than the yahoo fight rooms!!
Thanks to all
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:59 pm
Quote:
I feel it is necessary to envoke a little guidance to those who don't believe.

I was beginning to feel all warm and fuzzy about your last post, until I came to that sentence.

If you were truly respectful of everyone's beliefs, you would not feel it necessary to "invoke a little guidance". Do you have any idea how smug and supercillious that remark sounds?

I may not respect your beliefs, but I do respect your RIGHT to hold those beliefs...................as long as you refrain from foisting them on me.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 04:09 pm
lost_my_calgon wrote:
ok i can understand how i came across contradictory....allow me to explain

I believe in GOD. I respect anyones decesion to not believe in him and to follow a different path. I"M asking you to respect the fact that GOD is what I believe and with that belief I feel it is necessary to envoke a little guidance to those who don't believe.

And I am an agnostic -- and I feel it is necessary to envoke a whole bunch of guidance to people like you.

I hope you can respect that!

One of the problems with all this "respect" stuff, Lost, is that you often run into situations like this -- and they are very difficult to resolve.

Personally, most of the "beliefs" I hear from theists are horrendous. As a "for instance", whenever I hear people who guess there is a GOD and who guess that the GOD is a kind, just, loving GOD -- and who then go on to tell me that they think the pathetic, barbaric god of the Bible is that GOD -- I tend to wonder if they are insane.

But I really don't want to get into that right now.

I just want to assure myself, since you are in effect giving a lecture on respect, that I can count on you to respect how I feel in this regard.

I can, right?
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 04:10 pm
You go and believe whatever it is you want to believe.
I will believe whatever it is I want to believe.
But because I believe in God I feel that it is important to INVOKE his guidance onto others. It's the Godly thing to do when you believe in God.
Obviously you don't believe in him and therefore do not understand how a relationship with God works.
Thank you for your opinions ( judgements ), I will leave the judgement that God places upon me a top priority. Nothing you say will hurt me...it may IRK me...but I respect your opinion and invite you to keep them coming. If nothing else it is building me a new testimony.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 04:38 pm
Well, personally, i believe i'll go have some fish sticks . . .
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 04:47 pm
Setanta wrote:
Well, personally, i believe i'll go have some fish sticks . . .

Mind if I join you Setanta? I'll bring the french fries and ketchup.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 04:52 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
It's each individual's prerogative to believe what they want, but I am under no obligation to repect them for it. I am perfectly within my right to consider the believers to be blithering idiots if I choose to and I too can offer my "guidance" to them.

Works both ways.

I guess it'll be my prerogative to give you a manly hug - cause yer so darn cute! Surprised
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 05:27 pm
True - but irrelevant.....
0 Replies