When has religion irked you personally and why?

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 06:50 am
Ahhh, just what this thread needs. Another diversion.

But this one seems reasonable.

Early holiday greetings to all.

As I once said in one of my favorite bars: I sure would miss ya all if I get thrown out of this joint.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 06:54 am
Spice is a vital ingredient to any forum. I don't think a2k would want to lose you, frank.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 06:56 am
We put our tree up and even thought I realize christmas has turned into a bullshit retail holday, and even though I realize that Christmas trees are just a pagan adaptation by the Jerry Falwells of the time to bring people in line, I still feel warm when I first step back and look at the tree all lit up first thing every Christmas....unfortunately that warm feeling passed more quickly every year, but it's still pleasant.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:04 am
bear gots the spirit! wonderful!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:37 am
Frank, at 40 pages, I don't mind a friendly diversion. Best non-denominational wishes to all!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 08:08 am
Or, as they said, in the '60's, "Have a cool Yule and a frantic First!"
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 09:30 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I knew a humbug once.

I was in Hamburg, IA once Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 12:10 pm
I knew somebody with a hat like that once.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 12:19 pm
Seeing as husker brought up Hamburg....I love these stupid jokes I heard from a German comedian once. I think the accent made them more funny: "Take my wife, I command you." and "My father was from Frankfurt and my mother was from Hamburg, so I am a cross between a Frankfurter and a Hamburger." Laughing
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 04:20 pm
I am irked by televangelists pimping their wares. One Sunday evening I was channel surfing the cable and caught Robert Tilton (aka "The Farting Preacher" on several spoof sites) on the BET channel. He was telling folks how to get out of financial difficulties by making a "Vow to the Lord" via making a pledge of a thousand dollars to dear Robert. Just send him some money and watch it come rolling in. He had three bibles spread out and bookmarked with verses to back him up. Sprinkled in with the sales pitch were a number of testimonials and a few gospel songs. It was a one hour infomercial.

Following Robert Tilton was Peter Popoff. Peter's gimmick was to send you a vial of his "Miracle spring water from Russia". It looked to be a small plastic tube that held about 1 CC. This stuff would cure your ills and make you wealthy to boot!! He also showed some clips from services where he healed people of cancer, diabetes, lameness, etc.

Following Peter was Don Stewart. He had a similar line to Peter, except that instead of the vial of water, he would send you "the green prosperity handkerchief". Similar powers to the water. He also had clips of services where miraculous healings occurred.

Following Don Stewart was Robert Tilton again with a differentt one hour segment, same pitch.

It would have been entertaining if not for the sad feeling that people who can ill afford it obviously send these guys a lot of money. TV air time does not come cheap, and those programs had no sponsors.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 09:46 am
mesquite wrote:
I am irked by televangelists pimping their wares...

I share your frustration with this.

While I believe that people are responsible for their own choices, good or bad, it still pains me to watch the predators draining financial resources from the weakest of the herd.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 12:58 am
One of my favorite aunts gave every nickle she could rake up to Oral Roberts. I thought it wrong of them to take it, but, she derived so much satisfaction from it that I never criticised to her face.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 07:56 pm
Craven, and anybody else who wasn't getting their E-Mail updates.

I found mine locked up in my server provided screening service. This was a new service just provided us to screen out mass mailings. The service sent a message that I had not checked the mail that they were holding and when I checked there were all my missing updates. I think that I have corrected that little glitch. Confused
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 07:59 pm
Comcast was doing the same thing. Sad
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 08:48 am
Well this is worth it

F______ Prayer Meeting
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:05 am
Husker--very funny!!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:13 am
Barf!
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 01:31 pm
Frank, You just don't seem to realize how important that fishing is to a non-golfer. :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 03:23 pm
akaMechsmith wrote:
Frank, You just don't seem to realize how important that fishing is to a non-golfer. :wink:

Yeah, I do.

But "barf" anyway.

BTW -- I want to suggest another time when religion irked me personally -- AND IRKED ME ONE HELL OF A LOT:

When that goddam idiot who thinks he has to hold up a goddam sign saying goddam JOHN 3:16 everytime the goddam camera pans the goddam endzone...it frosts my balls big time.

I've often thought it would not help any message I may leave after I depart this life if I should exit by way of lightening bolt hitting me on a golf course.

I sure as hell would gain one boatload of satisfaction if a lightening bolt would zapp that irksome son-of-a-bitch at some point during one of the games.

Jeez, after proofreading this thing, I realize I may have understated my case. Try to imagine some life in it on your own.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 04:16 pm
Yes Frank, I have often imagined how bad it would be for my side if shortly after "discussing" religion with a Jehovie or a seventh dayer I was in a car wreck.

It's serious enough so that I think about it every time I have the sailboat out on Sunday morning. If I tip it over and have a heart attack swimming to shore I'd never live it down. Confused

If you are struck by lightning on the golf course Sunday AM it'd sure make it rough on those of us you'd leave behind. Crying or Very sad

Be careful Frank Exclamation

And that irks me also. That our behavior is often affected by those who live in a fantastic universe even if we don't Mad

Earlier in this thread was a darned good example of that Exclamation
0 Replies