When has religion irked you personally and why?

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 07:08 am
Grand Duke- I hear ya, but I think that it is worse than not being able to slam a door. If you appear not to be responding to the doctor in a way that he wants, who knows?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 07:14 am
Cav - kinda like watching a seed you have planted and nutured growing into a nice big flower?

Sorry, I've had too much coffee...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 07:24 am
I would be very interested in hearing opinions from the more devout on this forum.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 07:24 am
True, Phoenix. At least if you close the door on someone, they leave your property and all you've lost is a few moments out of your day. The potential implications with the doctors are far more serious.
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 08:13 am
There's a lot I do agree with. I was raised in the church, so to speak, and I don't think it's right for anyone to try to force what they believe on anyone else. Whether it's a doctor in his own office, a Jehova's Witness (It's a cult not a religion) at you door, or a group of Christians surrounding an unsuspectinge mother and her children oh Halloween to tel them they're hell-bound, it's not right. There are better ways to "spread the word" and when a person says no, it should be left there. Since when is God's commandment to "love you neighbor", considering it means as a human being and implies all respect, full of loop holes that say it's OK to force your views on them?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 01:42 pm
Phoenix, in terms of having the devout here on this thread, just go back closer to the beginning and watch how maliagar hijacked the thread. See how I invited him much in the same manner you are suggesting here. See how horribly wrong it went. Wink Let's hope if we do get some of the devout, they can debate in a polite manner.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 03:27 pm
There are sufficient health reasons to censure the priest for what he did. The shame comes when society will castigate the girls for participating, albiet blamelessly. They will also blame the priest although the Church has required him to live unaturally. Society often does this unwittingly, (assigns blame) mores the pity.

I do think it was sexual harrasment which is a very different thing from a mutual masturbation party. Or a football game for that matter. But if it wasn't for the church and society making such a big thing out of it ,the girls, in this case, altar boys in others, patients of a Mormon gynecologist, in another, then this would be merely a medical problem.

As is the way these thing are blown up then everybody, especially the junior participants will probably develop complexes, insecurities and a whole litany of other complaints many of which will require confessions, counseling, and social support. All if which is all out of proportion to any damage actually done.

So I stand by my "hoist by their own petard". A medical problem is one thing--By making it "sinful" the church and Abramic society has made it many many many times worse.

This IMO is a prime example of the harm unwittingly done to humanity by organized religion.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 01:59 am
It's an old cliche, but I stand by the slogan "Religion is the problem, not the solution."
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 04:42 pm
Grand Duke, Yep, Is, Has been, and will be. Perhaps as long as there are humans.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 01:39 am
another priest jailed today. This one for 20 years for the rape of several children. The bastard set up a camp for young people specifically for the purpose of gratifying his sick mind.
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 02:24 am
ONLY 20 years?!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:21 am
Eastree wrote:
ONLY 20 years?!

Yeah, I agree-not long enough.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:18 pm
The need for a little background comes to mind.

Is the priest sick? If so he needs a hospital, not a jail.

Were the kids pained or harmed?

Will society add to or ameliorate any damages?

Does the unnatural life that a priest is required to live have a little something to do with it?

Does the prospect of living an unnatural life attract persons to the preisthood who had a rather tenuous grip on reality in the first place?

I do not approve of adult males forcing their attentions on defenceless little girls.

I also do not approve of high school and college coaches encouraging defenceless young men to go forth and maim each other on a football field. (as played in the US)

The coaches activity which often results in physical damage to growing bodies is is blessed by society and the churches.

The priests activity which seldom results in physical damage and any mental damage is due largely to societys treatment of the victims, both before and after the act, Is condemned.

IMO this irks me. In a fair and just society both the coach and the priest would be similarly treated. We do have a religious society Sad
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:30 pm
Quote:
The priests activity which seldom results in physical damage and any mental damage is due largely to societys treatment of the victims, both before and after the act, Is condemned.

So, the fact that victims of sexual abuse as children frequently continue the cycle with younger children, often succumb to substance abuse, and have high suicide rates is allright with you? Shocked
What about the fact that a high number of so called "sex workers" have a history of sexual abuse in their past, as well as high incidences of substance abuse, adn psychological disorders? What about the children as young as three months I have seen in the ED who have contacted oral, genital, and or anal syphillis/gonnorhea/chlamydia, etc...? Are they unharmed? Were they merely condemning their attackers becasue they felt obligated to by society? Did the nine year old I say with rectal bleeding two years ago from dad's "love" scream in orgasm as he tore the delicate tissues in her anus? Did she give him a "come-hither" look at home, then cry and shriek in terror at the approach of males in the ED because she had learned to do so from watching too much Oprah? As I have said, I would love to see you back up your comments with research! Mad
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:10 pm
What hobitbob said...and 'nuff said. Confused
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 10:17 pm
ditto
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:31 am
akaMechsmith wrote:
The need for a little background comes to mind.

Is the priest sick? If so he needs a hospital, not a jail.

Were the kids pained or harmed?

Will society add to or ameliorate any damages?

Does the unnatural life that a priest is required to live have a little something to do with it?

Does the prospect of living an unnatural life attract persons to the preisthood who had a rather tenuous grip on reality in the first place?

I do not approve of adult males forcing their attentions on defenceless little girls.

I also do not approve of high school and college coaches encouraging defenceless young men to go forth and maim each other on a football field. (as played in the US)

The coaches activity which often results in physical damage to growing bodies is is blessed by society and the churches.

IMO this irks me. In a fair and just society both the coach and the priest would be similarly treated. We do have a religious society Sad

If you had a dick rammed up your arse at the age of 5, do you think it would harm you. OF COURSE THEY WERE HARMED.

He's obviously sick, but a hospital? CRAP. They should throw away the key so the putrid piece of scum never gets the chance to do it again.

Likening rape to a football match is the worst case of a defensive, apologetic catholic I've ever seen.

Stating my true opinion of you sir would see me banned from this site for life. Needless to say the catholic church is a haven for paedophile scum and their protectors.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:35 am
When does religion irk me? Every time rabid catholics post their garbage.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:35 am
Errr....Actually..as the product of a Jesuit high school, sveral years as an altar boy, and a student of religious history, I would have to disagree with your blanket condemnation of the church, but agree with you condemnation of Mechsmith's post. The church is made up of people, and is therefore only as strong as its strongest person,and as weak as its weakest. Anyway, bedtime for the hobbit! I'll try to post more tomroow when I'm semi-coherent.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:40 am
Mustn't forget the Anglican priests as well.

Retired Anglican priest jailed for sex offences

A retired Anglican priest and bank manager has been jailed for child sex offences in Australia dating back to the 1970s.

Sandra Fry reports, the 69-year-old has pleaded guilty in the Brisbane District Court to 28 charges involving five boys:

"The court heard John Litton Elliot was ordained as a priest after the offences occured in Queensland's wide bay district in the 1970s. He'd been a local bank manager, but had also set up an Anglican youth group for boys. The court heard he targeted those who didn't have fathers, and encouraged what was described as corrupting behaviour including skinny dipping and playing strip poker. The offences were carried out in various places including in the local church and in Elliots own bed. He was sentenced to seven and a half years jail with a recommendation for release after 30 months."

27/03/2002 20:02:41 | ABC Radio Australia News
0 Replies