When has religion irked you personally and why?

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:43 am
Transcript
18/1/2002
Priest gets jail term for sex offences

MAXINE McKEW: A former Anglican priest was sentenced today in a Sydney court to serve at least eight years in prison for a series of sexual assaults on very young girls.

The case demonstrates once again that for years, the Anglican Church appeared willing to turn a blind eye to complaints about its clergy or teachers, and to protect those involved.

Even more disturbingly, our story tonight raises questions about how well the church is dealing with the problem even today.

Sixty-four-year-old Robert Ellmore was first convicted of sexual assault on a minor when he was a 20-year-old in Queensland.

It's now clear he continued to offend with impunity for decades, becoming in the meantime an ordained Anglican priest in NSW.

Even after being convicted, unlicensed, and convicted again in the 90s, he was still able to pose as a priest, to win the trust of an unsuspecting family, and molest their eight-year-old daughter only last year.

To abide by the strict laws protecting under-age victims of crime, we've had to conceal the identities of parents and grandparents in tonight's disturbing report by Nick Grimm.

REBECCA, MOTHER OF ABUSED CHILD: He used his clerical collar to gain access to our child, to sexually assault her.

He has hidden behind that collar, the church has protected him.

I am speaking out on behalf of not only my child, but other children.

If I had not had the experience of unprofessionalism, ineptitude, lack of compassion, from the Anglican church, I would probably not be speaking to you.

NICK GRIMM: Rebecca, not her real name, is a woman barely able to contain her anger with the church to which she's belonged all her life.

Last year, her eight-year-old daughter was sexually molested by a man she believed was a respectable Anglican priest.

She didn't know he was also a serial paedophile.

REBECCA, MOTHER OF ABUSED CHILD: The Anglican church in Australia does not have its house in order on this issue and they have acknowledged that to me and the general public would be staggered, as I have been, if they knew how vulnerable their children are in the care of the Anglican church.

NICK GRIMM: Robert Ellmore has well and truly earned his place in history.

The convicted child sex offender is Australia's first Anglican clergyman to be defrocked, stripped of his holy office, in living memory.

But rather than applauding the move, the families of his victims ask why did it take so long for the church to act despite evidence of decades of serial paedophile activity?

JIM, GRANDFATHER OF ABUSED CHILD:I say there's cover-up all along the line.

I can't think of any other word that I could possibly use there.

NICK GRIMM: After years spent driving to see Robert Ellmore pay for his sins, Jim, also not his real name, is relieved to see the former priest behind bars.

Ten years ago Ellmore molested his five-year-old grand-daughter.

What made the breach of trust difficult was that Robert Ellmore was a close relative.

Here the men are pictured with their wives on Ellmore's wedding day around 30 years ago.

JIM: We spent a lot of time socially with each other because there's not a great deal of difference in our ages.

We played quite a lot together and I was treating him as my younger brother up until 10 years ago.

NICK GRIMM: But the warning signs had been apparent since well before Ellmore was ordained as a priest, even in the 1950s when paedophilia was a subject rarely discussed and even more rarely linked to the church.

That was when 20-year-old Robert Ellmore was first convicted and jailed for the aggravated assault of a 10-year-old girl.

JIM: I had heard of a previous conviction that he had as a 20-year-old young man in Toowoomba, I more or less put this out of my head because in the in between period, I mean, he had grown up as a man.

He had got married.

He joined the ministry.

And I thought all this is behind him.

NICK GRIMM: But it wasn't behind him, was it?

JIM: Evidently not.

Because since that, we've found that that he had another conviction in the 1960s -- a similar conviction.

NICK GRIMM: Ten years after his first conviction, Ellmore was arrested in a Sydney park and charged with indecent exposure.

But when he later decided on a career as a clergyman, it appears Robert Ellmore simply lied about his criminal record.

PHILIP GERBER, PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS UNIT, ANGLICAN CHURCH: He didn't disclose those, certainly not to the Sydney diocese when we licensed him.

It was a matter of disclosure.

There was not the processes in place for us to do police checks in Queensland.

NICK GRIMM: Philip Gerber heads the Professional Standards Unit in the Sydney diocese of the Anglican church.

It's an indication of how big a problem the church currently faces with inappropriate sexual behaviour by the clergy that Mr Gerber admits the Professional Standards Unit is little more than a euphemism for the church's anti-paedophilia office.

PHILIP GERBER: Professional standards in this context means child protection.

NICK GRIMM: Was he always an inappropriate choice to become a priest?

PHILIP GERBER: Well, in hindsight that's true, because the matter that he was convicted for in 1999, he committed that while he was a theological student in theological college up in Newcastle.

NICK GRIMM: It was 1976 when Ellmore sexually assaulted two sisters aged six and eight.

The same year he also molested a seven-year-old in the vestry of Bathurst's All Saints Cathedral.

Later, in 1978, he was ordained as a priest.

Then, around three years later, he offended again with a girl aged around nine after confirmation classes in his parish residence.

Yet, another incident involved a girl visiting his home.

It would be years before these offences came to light.

But in 1992, when he molested his five-year-old cousin, Jim's grand-daughter, her family acted immediately to have Ellmore charged and convicted.

That prompted other victims to come forward.

JIM: People say to me, 'Well, has she been affected by this?'

And all I can say is, 'Who knows?'

Some of these women that he has now been convicted of offences against when they were younger, well, it must have affected their lives greatly for them to come forward in their late 20s, early 30s to take further action against the man.

NICK GRIMM: What angers the families of Ellmore's victims is the fact that there appears to be a number of complaints made against the priest as he moved from parish to parish within the Bathurst diocese during the 1980s.

JIM: They must have known the reasons why they were moving him around so much.

NICK GRIMM: The families of some of his victims feel that the church must have known something about what he was doing?

What do you say to that allegation?

PHILIP GERBER: That's probably not unfair in terms of what happened in other diocese.

I don't know all the facts but that would probably not be an unreasonable supposition.

NICK GRIMM: When Robert Ellmore left the Bathurst diocese, he was given a glowing reference by the then bishop Howell Wit who's now dead.

It stated: 'He is a priest in good standing in the diocese of Bathurst.

I would certainly do my utmost to find an opening for him if he returned'.

It's now believed Ellmore had been ordered to seek psychiatric help after a series of complaints about him from parishioners.

Today, members of the Bathurst diocese declined to be interviewed about Robert Ellmore but did provide the 7:30 Report with this statement: 'It's impossible to know what was in the bishop's mind in 1995.

Today's church is ashamed that an Anglican priest working in western NSW parishes in the '70s and '80s could abuse children.

Today, the diocese would immediately suspend any church member following a complaint of this nature'.

For its part, the Sydney diocese insists that back in the early '90s, it removed Robert Ellmore's licence to practice as a priest as soon as they learned he had been convicted of assaulting Jim's grand-daughter.

JIM: As soon as we found out that he had been convicted his licence was taken off him, and in theory that meant he could no longer practice as a priest.

NICK GRIMM: But no-one told that to Rebecca.

In 1999, Ellmore was charged again, this time for offences committed back in the '70s.

He served a year in jail but on his release he was able to persuade Rebecca that he was still a fully fledged clergyman.

REBECCA: Through his developing a personal and spiritual relationship with our family, he was able to gain our trust and groom my husband and I so that he had access to the children.

NICK GRIMM: Was he presenting himself as a Anglican priest when he did that?

REBECCA: Yes.

NICK GRIMM: One weekend last April while staying at Rebecca's home, Ellmore molested her eight-year-old daughter.

Rebecca believes the Anglican church should have done more to sever its links with Ellmore.

The Anglican church readily admits making mistakes in the past but claims it's now doing better.

Not so claims Rebecca.

REBECCA: When I went to them as a parishioner in need, not a person off the street, I was met with silence, lack of interest and uncaring, uncompassionate attitude, which has been most disturbing.

Some appalling statements have been made to me.

NICK GRIMM: What kind of statements?

REBECCA: In conversation with a senior representative of the church, he said to me that he had met the perpetrator's wife and he couldn't understand how Ellmore had done what he'd done because he'd met her, she was a pretty good sort.

She wasn't ugly or overweight, couldn't understand how he did it.

My reply to him was, 'She's not eight'.

He said to me, 'I'll pray for you'.

And I said, 'Thank you'.

He then said, 'I'll probably forget but I'll get my wife to do it, she's pretty good at that sort of thing'.

NICK GRIMM: Those comments were made by the head of the Sydney diocese Professional Standards Unit, Philip Gerber.

PHILIP GERBER: I would personally accept responsibility for being clumsy.

One often says things that you regret saying in retrospect.

But I don't think that reflects the way the churches are dealing with things.

I think that reflects a personal clumsiness on my part.

NICK GRIMM: Today, Robert Ellmore was sentenced to a minimum eight years in jail for offences against Rebecca's daughter and two other girls.

REBECCA: Yes.

It's not simply a matter of how they weed out paedophiles within their ranks, it's also a case of how they compassionately handle victims' families when they come forward.

NICK GRIMM: The judge said he only wished the law allowed him to impose a heavier punishment to adequately reflect the community's abhorrence with his crimes.

Has this shaken your religious faith?

REBECCA: It has definitely not shaken my faith in God.

I am so disappointed in the institution of the church.

As I know God is.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:45 am
Catholic Church in Australia embroiled in child sex scandal
Associated Press/May 31, 2002
By Emma Tinkler
Sydney, Australia -- The Catholic Church in Australia was embroiled in a child sex scandal Friday after its most senior clergyman denied offering bribes to cover up abuse allegations against a priest.

The bribery allegation came amid a crisis that has shaken the church in the United States, with revelations that priests across the country abused children sexually and that senior clergy tried to conceal incidents by moving known offenders to other parishes.

Sydney Catholic Archbishop George Pell told a news conference Thursday that a television news program to be aired this weekend alleges that he tried to cover up sex abuse claims made against a priest in 1993 by offering the victim financial assistance in return for his silence.

He denied the charge and said that he was misled by the producers of the program - the Nine Network's "60 Minutes" - about the reason for the interview.

"The allegations that I made such attempts or offers are not only unfounded but also implausible," he said.

Pell said that he had agreed to be interviewed "to discuss matters arising out of the American cardinals meeting in Rome," referring to an extraordinary gathering at the Vatican last month between Pope John Paul II and American cardinals and bishops to discuss matters including the U.S. child abuse allegations.

According to the archbishop, a segment of the "60 Minutes" program to be broadcast Sunday reports that he was told in 1993 of abuse by a priest who pleaded guilty a year later to sexually assaulting 21 children - mostly altar boys and including his nephew - in one of Australia's most notorious pedophile scandals. The program says that the case was brought to Pell's attention by the nephew.

Pell told reporters that he had been contacted by the priest's nephew about the abuse but said that their phone conversation took place after the priest, Gerald Ridsdale, had already been charged with child sex offenses. Ridsdale pleaded guilty in 1994 to 46 sexual assault charges and was sentenced to a minimum of 15 years in prison.

He also denied an allegation by the program that he asked the priest's nephew, David Ridsdale, what it would take "to keep you quiet" and went on to offer him a car or house.

"I had no authority to respond to any allegations against Ridsdale," said Pell, who was a bishop in the eastern city of Melbourne at the time.

The church leader said that he was seeking advice about whether to take legal action against the program's producers.

John Westacott, executive producer of "60 Minutes," said that he had fully briefed Pell of the allegations before the interview.

"I'm not here to prosecute the Catholic Church; we've got the story of ... people that were treated, have been treated, are being treated extremely badly," Westacott told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio Friday. "It seems to me that the politics and legal requirements have been put well and truly above common decency."
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:47 am
Priest sentenced to five years' jail

A retired Catholic priest has been sentenced to five years' imprisonment in Dunedin after admitting 10 representative charges arising from sexual assaults on four boys between 1962 and 1972.

Magnus William Murray, 76, now lives in Auckland.

The offences were committed when Murray was acting in various roles for the Catholic Church in and around Dunedin.

The judge at the sentencing at the High Court in Dunedin heard the defence counsel and Murray's sister-in-law plead for leniency. But the judge said he had to balance any mitigating factors against the age and number of boys involved, and the gross abuse of trust.
The Catholic Church says it has no plans compensate four boys sexually assaulted by the Dunedin priest, despite knowing that abuse was taking place.
Spokesperson Lyndsay Freer says although the church knew the abuse had happened, appropriate action was taken at the time and Murray was sent to Australia for counselling.

Freer says to her knowledge no compensation has been sought by the victims.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:51 am
This is the 20 year guy my above post referred to.

Ex-priest jailed for child sex crimes

Jailed paedophile and former Catholic priest Michael Charles Glennon will spend at least 15 more years behind bars.

County Court judge Roland Williams set the minimum sentence for a string of fresh sex offences against Glennon.

Judge Williams sentenced the 59-year-old to a maximum of 18 years on 26 counts against four young victims.

But the judge said the new maximum sentence from Wednesday would in fact become 20 years, with two years added on from the sentence he is currently serving.

Glennon has spent most of the past 13 years in jail.

The former priest has been convicted of sexually abusing 15 children between 1974 and 1991, mostly at youth camps held at Karaglen, a rural property near Lancefield north of Melbourne, which Glennon helped establish and operate.

The most recent trial heard that Glennon told his boy victims that the sexual offences were secret men's business and a necessary part of their initiation into Aboriginal manhood.

Judge Williams said he believed that Glennon was one of a small number of offenders who were "just wantonly evil".
He had shown himself to be an "evil, callous human being", a man of cunning and planning who committed the most sordid crimes against his victims.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:58 am
C A N A D A
Bishop Hubert O'Connor of Prince George, British Columbia, was sentenced on Sept. 13, 1996, to 2 1/2 years in prison for sexually assaulting two teenage girls at a boarding school in central British Colombia while he was principal there in the 1960s.

Archbishop Alphonsus Penney of St. John's, Newfoundland, resigned on February 2, 1991, after a church commission criticized him for failing to prevent extensive abuse of boys living in Newfoundland orphanages.

W A L E S
Archbishop John Aloysius Ward of Cardiff, Wales, was forced by the pope to resign on Oct. 26, 2001, after he was accused of ignoring warnings about two priests who were later convicted of child abuse.

P O L A N D
Archbishop Juliusz Paetz of Poznan, a close associate of Pope John Paul II, resigned on March 28, 2002, amid accusations he had made sexual advances on young clerics. Paetz denied the allegations, but said he was resigning "for the good of the church." The Vatican conducted an inconclusive investigation of the case.

I R E L A N D
Bishop Brendan Comiskey of Ferns is the first known member of the church hierarchy to resign voluntarily over his management of an abusive priest. Comiskey stepped down on April 1, 2002, after coming under fire for his handling of the Rev. Sean Fortune, an accused pedophile. Comiskey apologized for his conduct and the church launched a probe of the scandal.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 01:01 am
'God wants you to love me'

After a four-month investigation, Antony Barnett reveals that the Anglican Church is to be hit by a new scandal, as women tell of rape and abuse by priests who practised 'sexual healing'

Sunday July 20, 2003
The Observer

Sonya Brown was sexually abused by her father as a child. She started getting flashbacks three years ago and became severely depressed. She was referred to a psychiatric day hospital, where the chaplain offered her what she believed was the refuge of a spiritual shoulder to cry on.
But his support quickly turned into a fresh bout of sexual exploitation, she claims. The clergyman raped her in his office, at home and in the toilet of a cemetery.

As an eight-year-old, Patricia Stevens dreamt of being ordained as a minister. Fifteen years later, as a postgraduate theology student at Cambridge, she was close to fulfilling that ambition. But when she was sent on work experience to preach at a large church in London, she alleges that she was sexually abused and raped by the senior priest supervising her.

Sheila Hennessy used to be a senior school teacher. As a child she was abused by a family friend. When her local priest discovered this, she claims, he zeroed in on her vulnerability and initiated a ritual of sexual abuse that lasted 10 years.

According to Sheila, the vicar was turned on by the idea of menstruation and would ask her for her used tampons, and have her open up the school at weekends so he could collect her pupils' tampons from sanitary bins.

Until this weekend, these women had little in common apart from their beliefs. But a four-month investigation by The Observer reveals they are just three out of dozens who claim they have been sexually abused by churchmen of all denominations.

Many of them, who have told their stories for the first time, remain in a state of deep psychological despair. Several have tried to commit suicide. Yet most of the accused clerics continue to preach after being quietly moved to another parish.

While the Church of England remains in turmoil over the sexuality of its bishops, some believe the mounting catalogue of sexual abuse against women is the real untold scandal of the Church. This particular controversy now threatens to envelop the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, who faces questions over his role in helping a priest who sexually assaulted a female vicar to find another job.

Britain's leading investigator of sexual abuse in the Church is Margaret Kennedy, a former social worker who was a pioneer in raising the issue of child abuse in the Roman Catholic and other Christian churches. She described the scandal involving Williams as 'shocking and deplorable'.

Kennedy believes the sexual abuse of adults by clergymen is just as serious as child abuse. She has catalogued more than 120 cases of alleged sexual abuse of women by clergy. In a damning study, yet to be published, she has collected harrowing testimonies from more than 60 victims - 25 concern the Church of England, 25 the Catholic Church, with the rest spread across Methodists, Baptists and Presbyterians.

'My fear is that this is just the tip of an iceberg. We know about these cases because these women have moved on to some extent and been able to talk about it,' said Kennedy. 'I believe there are hundreds more frightened women who are too ashamed to deal with the situation they find themselves in. The church authorities must admit their ministers can use their power to sexually exploit or abuse vulnerable adult women.'

The evidence reveals a disturbing picture of how vulnerable women have turned to churchmen for pastoral help, only to be preyed upon. Some victims had been abused as children, others were recovering drug addicts and some were grieving for loved ones or had recently been divorced.

Most have been left in a poor mental state, many of them suicidal, while the clergymen are rebuked privately and moved on. Too often their victims are left isolated in communities unable to face the idea that a man of God could do something so wrong.

Many cases show how the clerics use religion and their position of authority to coerce women into sex, saying things like, 'God wants you to love me,' and 'concubines were biblical'. In one instance, it is claimed that a clergyman told a woman: 'God has made you beautiful so you can sexually fulfil Christian men.' In another, it's alleged that a priest said masturbating his victim - who had been abused as a child - was a 'way the holy spirit could enter her to help the healing process'.

As a student minister, Patricia Stevens firmly believed in not having sex outside marriage. She recalls how the priest told her she would never understand the love of God if she didn't have sex with a man. She alleges that the man, who was married with children, forced her to have sex with him when his wife went to work.

'He told me it was God's will to have sex with me, and when I turned him down, that I wasn't being obedient to God ...He started off trying to kiss me and fondle my breasts ...He told me to stop struggling and then had sexual intercourse with me ...Sometimes I would cry when he wouldn't stop and the more I told him to leave me alone the more he would say it was the right thing to do.

'He would tell me this was our secret and I shouldn't say anything to anyone. This was what God wanted - God would be pleased with me.'

Although the alleged abuse happened a number of years ago, Patricia recently attempted suicide several times because she still cannot come to terms with what happened - or get justice from the church authorities. The priest, who denied rape, was asked to move parishes but allowed to go on preaching.

Patricia claims he boasted to her that she was not the only woman in her parish he had had sex with, and that one of his other conquests had committed suicide.

Kennedy said: 'Nearly all the priests who abuse women are multiple offenders. One problem is that the abuse is not viewed by the church as sexual offending behaviour, and they are allowed to get away with it. The church hierarchy, which still is very patriarchal, believes them when they say, "I'm sorry. I won't do it again". In the US they would treat these priests as sex offenders and send them to treatment centres.'

Even a woman priest can be preyed on. A devastated Dr Tanya Jenkins, the vicar of Llangefni on Anglesey in North Wales, is still off work three years after she was sexually assaulted by Canon Geoffrey Hewitt of Bangor Cathedral.

Hewitt 'stuck his tongue down her throat after Jenkins invited him for a coffee at her home after a funeral.

She reported Hewitt, who had been married for more than 30 years, to the Church in Wales authorities. It emerged that officials had received another complaint from a worker that he had patted her on her bottom and emailed lewd poems to her.

Hewitt admitted both counts of sexual harassment at a Church tribunal, but was allowed to keep his job. However his parishioners refused to have him back and he was forced to seek another parish. The Observer has established that Williams, then head of the Church in Wales, became involved.

As Bishop of Monmouth, Williams had a vacancy in his diocese for a vicar at Rhymney. When Hewitt phoned Williams, who was fully aware of the charges against him, to seek advice about the post, the bishop said he would not stand in his way.

The local press heard that a clergyman with a history of sexually harassing his colleagues was to be the new vicar. An uproar forced Hewitt to withdraw his application. However, he has since emerged as a vicar in Bristol.

Helen Mary Jones, a Welsh Assembly member and former deputy director of the Equal Opportunities Commission, believes the affair reeks of double standards.

'This priest acted in ways that would have led to him being sacked if he had been a social worker or a teacher, yet he is allowed to continue working as a vicar. Williams has staked his reputation around social justice, but in this case he must answer serious questions about his role.'

The dog collar should be a symbol of trust and moral rectitude, but for Sonya Brown it now has an opposite effect.

When Sonya, who had been abused as a child by her father, began visiting a hospital chaplain for counselling she felt secure. 'The collar gave me a feeling of protection and safety,' she said.

But, according to her distressing account, at one meeting, 'I was very, very upset and very depressed. He got off his chair and knelt down before me. He offered me his handkerchief, put his arms round me, cuddled me, kissed me, then touched my breasts and put his hands between my legs. I felt confused, disorientated, upset and left the room in tears.'

Sonya says she continued to see the chaplain, as she desperately depended on his support. One afternoon, however, she claims he visited her at home and they had sex. Sonya, who was married with children, admits that at first she felt special. A week later, however, she realised she had made a terrible mistake. But, in a state of severe depression, she felt powerless.

In March 2000, she claims that the chaplain brutally raped her in a toilet at a cemetery where she had gone to visit her sister's grave. 'I was very upset and went to the toilet in a very distressed state. (He) followed me ... In an instant the door was closed and locked.

'My trousers were pulled down and he was touching me. I said, "No, please get out". He smiled. He turned me round and pushed me against the door. He put his arm across my neck. He raped me. I couldn't scream or shout. I felt sick and confused. I prayed somebody would come into the toilets - somebody, anybody. Nobody did.'

Sonya claims she was then repeatedly raped at her home, but could tell no one.

'He repeatedly told me it was a moving-on process. He told me constantly not to tell anyone, or he could lose his job. He threatened to tell my husband, and most of all that nobody would believe me.

'He kept telling me it was our secret. I was terrified and kept my mouth shut - until the day I felt suicidal and reported the incident to another counsellor.'

The hospital held an internal investigation and the chaplain's ministry was told. But it was the chaplain's word against Sheila's, and the hospital took his. He still works there and is allowed on home visits to other vulnerable women.

According to Kennedy, one of the major problems is that the perpetrator is a male member of the clergy who is seen as above reproach. 'The woman is often seen as the seductress who has tempted the priest into a sexual relationship,' she said.

While the tabloid press feasts on tales of randy vicars and sex-starved women pouncing on priests, the truth is much more complex.

Some victims said they believed they had been 'groomed' by a cleric just as a paedophile prepares his victims.

Sheila, now a senior magistrate, said, 'I now believe I was targeted from the word go, and he drew me in. And I now know there were at least three others. When he learnt I had been abused as a child he used this to put me in a vulnerable position. He used to come round to my house with his dog collar on and get me talking about abuse, and gave me what he called special hugs which he said would help heal me. This meant putting his hands down my pants. He then used to masturbate. It was ritualistic and he made us pray together.'

Sheila felt like a paedophile victim in another way. The Church of England would not take her complaint seriously unless she made it formal, which meant going public.

'I wanted to deal with this informally. They didn't want to help me. That is why I feel terribly betrayed. They wouldn't help me. They seemed more interested in burying the story.'

· The names of the victims have been changed to protect their identities.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 01:06 am
CONVICTED CLERGY, OR WHERE OFFENCES OTHERWISE CONFIRMED

A-D

Ainsworth, Br Godfrey "Allen"(78) Melbourne Franciscan brother, Catholic parish priest and Mercy Hospital chaplain. - In 2000 the Catholic Church agreed to pay sex abuse victim $200,000 compensation after Church Commission into Sexual Abuse accepts as "substantially correct" victim's allegations against 3 priests, including Br Godfrey Ainsworth, Fr Francis ELLUL and Br Regis SMITH. Commission hears Ainsworth, of Waverley, Sydney, in 1982 indecently assaulted female victim, aged 34, in Melbourne. Commission told priest forced penis into victim's mouth and ordered her into city sex shop. Media describes payment as "near-record". The victim had made her first formal complaint in 1975, but compensation was only forthcoming after she spoke to the media in 1999. Full story
Aitchison, John Phillip (45) Anglican - Convicted July 1996 for acts of indecency on boys 1986, 1988. Sentenced to 3 years imprisonment with minimum 18 months. Pleaded guilty December 1996 to sexual intercourse with boy under 16yo. Ordained 1987. Three prior convictions including 1973 and 1986.
Ayles, Raymond Frederick (48) Anglican - Convicted April 1993 of attempting to procure two 15yo boys to commit acts of gross indecency (asked boys to masturbate in front of him while he gave sex education talk). 12 month suspended sentence and $250/18 month good behaviour bond. Lost Order of Australia medal. Appeal dismissed June 1993. Ayles has worked in both SA and Qld.
Baker, Wilfred James (62) RCC - Pleaded guilty 1999 to 16 charges. Convicted on 17. (Charged with 22 counts against 8 boys 1960-79). Sentenced to 4 years jail. Archbishop made aware of allegations 1978 and transferred Baker to another parish. Baker served at Benalla, East Brighton, Eltham, Gladstone Park, Jordanville, Maryborough,
Mordialloc, Richmond and Doveton, Vic.
Bazely, Frank Dennis Martin, Anglican - 1997 Pleaded guilty to 12 counts against two boys and their sister 1969-75. Jailed for maximum 5 years.
Beninati, William aka Brother Vales, RCC - Charged with indecent assault against pupil at St Joseph's College, Hunters Hill.
Best, Robert Charles (55) RCC Christian Brother - Convicted 1996 of two counts of indecently assaulting an 11-year-old pupil in May and August 1969 while headmaster and grade six teacher at St Alipius' Primary School, Ballarat East [see also Edward Dowlan - Best and Dowlan taught in the same school, as did Stephen Farrell and Gerald Ridsdale. In July 1996 the Herald Sun revealed that a ring of paedophiles shared boys at the school, regularly attacking within hours of each other. In 1971, the entire male teaching staff were molesting the 8 to 11 year old students]. According to the trial judge, the Christian Brothers had banned Brother Best from teaching or taking pupils on camps. Sentenced to nine months jail, suspended for 2 years.
Bongiorno, Anthony Salvatore (61) RCC priest - 1996 Charged on 9 counts, including indecent assault and sexual penetration, involving 3 boys under 10 between 1981 and 1986.
Booth, Warren Douglas (49) RCC - 1996 Convicted of indecent assault against 12yo boy at local swimming pool while training as a priest. Sentenced to 12 months jail.
Bosse, Harry (37) Church of Nazarene pastor - 1992 South Australia. Pleaded guilty to 12 counts of indecent assault and four of gross indecency against two boys and a girl aged 8-14 in 1973-78. Bosse had been a scout leader and a policeman and left the Scouts and the police force when rumours of his behaviour started circulating. He then married, and spent 3 years in Qld training as a pastor. He left the church in 1990 after police questioned him about the offences. Sentenced to 12 months jail suspended, and 250 hours of community service. Bosse admitted during the trial that he had continuing tendencies and victim support organisations criticised the judge's ruling as a result. Bosse served as scoutmaster at Apollo Bay, Brunswick, Ivanhoe, Northcote, Preston and Watsonia, VIC before moving to Parafield Gardens, Adelaide.
Brazier, Peter William (56) Anglican priest - 2002 Found guilty of six counts of indecent assault and one count of unlawful sexual intercourse. Brazier told detectives he had known the boy and his family for about 18 months. He admitted to buying the boy gifts and to watching a pornographic video with the boy before sexually assaulting him. These offences (and Brazier's approach to the boy) were almost identical to those for which he was convicted in 1994, when he pleaded guilty to three counts of indecently assaulting a 16-year-old boy in the boy`s home and also at Brazier`s parish house. He told police the boy had progressively become attractive to him, and admitted to hugging and fondling him 100 to 200 times. He was given a two year suspended sentence. After the first set of offences, Brazier received psychological treatment and a subsequent report from his doctor said it was unlikely he would re-offend. On the basis of that report, Brazier was appointed priest to another parish in South Australia, where he committed the second set of offences. The court criticised the church for shifting priest with child sex conviction to another parish and recommendation made that in future all priests and lay workers in SA undergo police checks before being employed by church. Both victims had gone to Brazier for counselling after family crises.
Briscoe, Phillip Martin Lawrence, Salvation Army - Pleaded guilty 1999 to possession of child pornography (photos of his foster children). Fined $1200.
Brown, Desmond (54) RCC St Gerard Society - 1992 Convicted of indecent assault on girl at tramstop. Fined $1000. Lost appeal.
Brown, Rex (54) RCC priest and scoutmaster - 1996 Pleaded guilty to possessing child pornography. Fined $300.
Browning, George, Anglican - 1999 Special Tribunal found Browning had committed sexual misconduct in 1984 with a parishioner who he was counselling over her marriage break-up. He resigned as bishop, although the Anglican Primate expressed the hope he would still practice as a priest. Browning's resignation was not accepted by his diocese and he was reinstated as bishop. He subsequently publicly supported Dr Peter Hollingworth (Governor-General and former Anglican archbishop of Brisbane) over claims of abuse cover-up.
Burgess, Ross David (51) RCC priest - 1998 Appeared in Launceston Magistrates Court on child sex offences, including unlawful sexual intercourse and indecent assault, against boy, aged 16, between January and March 1996 at Orford, northeast of Hobart. Court hears Burgess, of Kings Meadows, Launceston, assaulted boy while priest at New Norfolk, Tas. In 1999, charges adjourned indefinitely after victim disappears amid mother's fears he had taken own life. In 2002, victim's body found in bushland at Don Reserve, Devonport. Devonport CIB still investigating.
Burton, Keith John (55) Protestant pastor - Pleaded guilty 1996 to seven counts including maintaining a sexual relationship with a boy under 13, indecent treatment of a boy and indecent dealing with a boy. The victims were two brothers, 14yo and 12yo. One charge referred to Burton getting one victim to sodomise him. The offences occurred during church outings, fishing trips and Bible classes in North Brisbane Protestant Church. Sentenced to 7 years jail with a recommendation for parole after 3 years.
Butler, Thomas John aka "Brother Pat" (72) Marist Brother and Catholic school mathematics teacher - 2002 Committed for trial in Brisbane District Court on 1 count of indecently dealing with schoolboy, aged 11, in 2001 at Ashgrove Marist Brothers College, Brisbane.
Cakacaka, Tevita (37) Mt Annan Christian Life Centre pentecostal church preacher- 2001 Appeared in Parramatta Local Court charged with indecently assaulting female passenger, age unknown, in 2000 during train trip between Sydney and Melbourne. Court hears passenger awoke at 3am to find Cakacaka, of Mt Annan Christian Life Centre, near Camden, southwest of Sydney, fondling her leg and smiling 40cm from her face.
Carter, Gregory, Marist Brother - 1997 Pleaded guilty to 15 charges against one boy at St Augustines College, Qld. Sentenced to 18 months jail.
Cattell, Richard St John (54) RCC - 1994 Pleaded guilty 1994 to 5 counts of indecently assaulting 14yo boy, who went to Cattell for help after being molested by schoolteacher (Cattell told the victim "It's normal; don't worry about it" and then embarked on a two year cycle of abuse). Sentenced to 2 years jail. Cattell was at the time serving as the Vicar-General of the Parramatta Diocese, was the administrator who received allegations of sexual abuse within the diocese, and was still listed as a priest in the 1996 Australian Catholic Directory. He is not listed as a priest in the 2002 Directory.
Christian, David Austin (52) Marist Brother and school principal - Pleaded guilty 1995 to 8 counts against two boys 10 and 11yo, who were students at the school where Christian was the principal. Fined $10,500. Fine paid by Marist Brothers, although the judge stipulated that Christian should be made to carry out duties he would not normally perform, to the value of the fine. Christian was assigned to work as a school cleaner during non-school hours.
Claffey, Robert (55) RCC priest - 1998 Pleaded guilty to indecent assault on 2 boys aged 12 and 13 while counselling them after their sister's death in a road accident. Received good behaviour bond.
Cleary, Patrick Joseph (63) RCC priest - Pleaded guilty 1998 to molestation of 2 boys aged 15 and 16yo. Molestation of 15yo occurred in the confessional box just after boy's mother's death. Received 15 month sentence, served at Arthur Gorrie Correctional Facility. via www.crimenet.com.au and email
Coffey, Bryan Desmond (64) RCC - Convicted 1999 of 13 counts of indecent assault and 1 count of false imprisonment against 7 boys and 1 girl aged 6-14yo between 1963-75. Three year sentence suspended on appeal. Coffey's offences occurred at Ballarat, Ouyen and Port Fairy, Vic.
Coffey, Gregory Vincent (48) Marist Brothers school principal and trainee Salesian Brother - Melbourne: Pleaded guilty January 1994 to indecent assault on 4 students 1975-76. Coffey left the school at the end of 1986 and worked for three years at another school. Two year good behaviour bond, no conviction recorded. Pleaded guilty October 1994 to indecent assault on two more boys from the same school in the same period. Placed on two year good behaviour bond, no conviction recorded. Pleaded guilty in 1997 to 6 counts indecent assault. Sentenced to 2½ years jail suspended for 2½ years plus pay victims $7500 each in instalments.
Cole, Victor Roland (59) Anglican - 1996 Complaint from victim of being sexually abused for 2½ years from the age of 14 (1980-83) led to both civil and church inquiries. Cole admitted the offences to Archbishop Goodhew and others but prevaricated in testimony to both police and court. Judge's finding in preliminary hearing was that there was sufficient corroborating testimony to confirm abuse occurred, but civil action was barred by statute of limitations. Cole's licence was revoked at the time of complaint. 7 years later, in February 2003, Cole was forced by the new archbishop to relinquish his orders, and is therefore no longer a minister.
Colley, Peter James, RCC priest - 1993 Pleaded guilty to indecent assault of adult male in public toilet. Sentenced to 12 month good behaviour bond.
Collison, Wayne Tyrone (59) - 1985 Pleaded guilty to abduction. 10yo girl ran away from home in Glen Innes in 1983, Collison took her to QLD. Judge decided it was an error of judgement but that the priest had the best interests of the girl at heart, and she had not been taken against her will. Fined $1000 and 3yr good behaviour bond.
Comensoli, Peter Lewis (55) RCC priest - Pleaded guilty 1994 to assault on two boys 10 and 14yo. Comensoli was ordained in 1965, served as parish priest at Campbelltown, then demoted to Berkeley, near Wollongong, where these offences occurred. Jailed for 18 months. Released April 1996 and was still listed as a priest on leave in the Wollongong diocese in the 2002 Australian Catholic Directory. Note: He should not be confused with Peter A Comensoli, chancellor in the Wollongong Diocese
Conlan, Douglas (52) RCC priest - 1999 Pleaded guilty to gross indecency against 16yo boy. 3 year suspended sentence.
Connell, Bernard (57) RCC priest - 1996 Committed for trial in Wagga Wagga District Court on 4 child sex charges, including 3 counts of indecent assault and 1 of committing unlawful sexual intercourse, against boy, aged 10, in 1964 at Junee, southeast NSW.
Connolly, Paul Anthony (66) RCC priest - 2001 Pleaded guilty to seven counts of indecent assault on 14yo girl between 1971 and 1973. At the time of pleading, Connolly remained a priest but had been removed from active duty. Sentenced to 8 months jail - 4 months behind bars, 4 months suspended sentence.
Cotton Victor Clifford (56) Adelaide pastor - 1997 Appeared in Adelaide District Court charged with 3 child sex offences, including 2 counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and 1 of indecent assault, against teenage boy in 1995 while pastor of Adelaide northern suburbs church. The victim was a former member of Cotton's congregation.
Cox, Kevin (66) RCC priest and Cistercian Brother - 1997 Convicted on 3 counts of indecent assault on girl aged 11 in 1976 at Caringbah Catholic church, Sydney. Receives 2 year periodic jail sentence in Campbelltown District Court . Court hears Cox fingered girl's genitals while rubbing himself against her until ejaculating. Alleged Cox gave the girl $200 towards cost of abortion during her HSC year. Conviction later overturned.
Crombie, George (50) Uniting Church minister, former Baptist minister - March 2003 Suspended by the Uniting Church following sexual misconduct allegations by 5 women. A Sunday Herald Sun investigation found a total of 18 documented cases of victims. All were adult parishioners, many vulnerable due to life circumstances, and in many cases were exploited financially as well as sexually by Crombie. Immediately following his standing down, Crombie formed a local "singles" group, but subsequent to media disclosure of his suspension is believed to have fled to Perth. via news.com.au 9/3/03
Curnuck, Lawrence Joseph (74) Seventh Day Adventist youth leader - 1999 Receives 12 year jail sentence in Bunbury Supreme Court after pleading guilty to 20 child sex offences, including 14 counts of unlawful sexual intercourse, 5 of indecent assault and 1 of indecent dealing, against at least 2 girls, aged around 14, during 1970s at Busselton, south of Perth. Court hears Curnuck, of Busselton, took young girls on camping trips and other activities where he raped and molested them. Court told Curnuck earlier received 18 month jail sentence for indecently assaulting child, aged 14, in 1951. Note: Seventh Day Adventists do not have ordained clergy, so lay leaders are included in this list.
Daniel, David (57) RCC priest and RAAF chaplain - Convicted 2000 of 16 counts of indecent assault and gross indecency against children under 16 from 1978-94. Sentenced to 6 years jail. Offences occurred at East Brighton, Healesville, Mt Waverley and Newport, Melbourne
Daniels, Louis Victor (51) Anglican archdeacon - Convicted 1999 on 6 counts of indecent assault and oral intercourse with 14yo boy in Tasmania. Jailed for 12 months. NB. One of Daniells' victims runs a support group for victims of Tasmanian priests. Email him on [email protected]
D'Astoli, Christopher (50) RCC priest - 1994 Pleaded guilty to indecent assault of 13yo boy in 1969 while in seminary. The victim told a priest at his school, who informed the seminary, and D'Astoli withdrew from the priesthood a few days before he was due to be ordained. Sentenced to 3 year good behaviour bond and fined $750.
Day, John (69) RCC priest and Mildura monsignor (one rung below bishop) - 1997 Accused of numerous child sex offences, including committing unlawful sexual intercourse, gross indecency and indecent assault, against 14 boys and 2 girls, aged under 16, between 1957 and 1971 while parish priest at Sacred Heart Catholic church, Mildura, northwest VIC. Detective claims investigations commenced 1971 but dropped in 1972 by police superior believed to be friend of Day's superior, Bp Ronald MULKEARNS. Mildura Catholic moderator in 1997 claims allegations against Day "had substance" but charges not laid due to his death in 1978. Msgnr Day described as "good friend" of notorious convicted pedophile, Fr Gerald RIDSDALE.
Deal, Raymond John (51) RCC priest - 1999 Pleaded guilty to 3 charges of assaulting a 26-year-old man between Dec 98 and Mar 99. Sentenced to 2 years good behaviour bond for two offences and 4 months prison suspended for 2 years for the third offence. The Age 22/7/99
Denham, John Sidney (75) RCC priest - 2001 Convicted 2 counts of indecent assault on 14yo student in 1979. At time of conviction was Christian Brothers college chaplain. Sentenced to 2 years suspended.
Derriman, Francis (58) RCC priest - Convicted 1998 of indecent dealing with 15yo girl. Allegedly persuaded her to have sex because he was "terminally ill". Sentenced to 12 months suspended.
Dick, Gerard William (67) Christian Brother - Pleaded guilty 1994 to 10 counts of indecently dealing with boy under 14. Dick had confessed the offences to another priest at the time, but was not removed from his position as dormitory supervisor in a Catholic orphanage. Dick worked in Christian Brothers orphanages in WA for 19 years and was notorious for sadistic beatings and sexual molestation. Sentenced to 3½ years jail. Appeal dismissed November 1994.
Dowlan, Edward Vernon (45) Christian Brother and school vice-principal - Pleaded guilty 1996 to 16 counts against 11 victims between 1971-82. Originally charged with 76 counts, but 60 dropped in return for guilty plea. Offences occurred while Brother Dowlan was teaching at St Patrick's College, Ballarat, St Alipius' Primary School, East Ballarat, St Thomas' College, Forest Hill, and Cathedral College, East Melbourne. 9yrs8mth (maximum) sentence reduced on appeal to 6yrs6mth. One victim suicided in 1991. Victim's mother filed a suit for damages against Dowlan and the principal of St Patrick's College Ballarat in 1999.
Duffield, Robert Winston (55) Anglican minister and probation officer - Pleaded guilty 1996 of gross indecency against 12yo boy. Duffield masturbated boy on probation "about 25 times" after threatening him with bad report or "lock up" if he refused to obey. Received 6 month suspended sentence and fined $5000.
Dunne, James Paul, Seventh Day Adventist - July 2002 Pleaded guilty to 31 counts of sexual assault of a minor. Scheduled for sentencing 7 August 2002. via email
Durham, Reginald Basil (83) RCC Neerkol chaplain - Pleaded guilty Feb 1999 to 6 counts of indecently dealing. Jailed for 18 months with recommendation for parole after 4 months. Convicted Sept 1999 of rape against a 14yo orphan girl in 1966-67. Sentenced to jail for 7½ years. Judge criticised both a nun to whom the victim complained, and a former archbishop of Rockhampton. Conviction later overturned. Allegedly 20 counts still outstanding.
Dyson, John D. (47) Marist Brother - Pleaded guilty 1997 to four counts of indecent assault against 3 boys under 14, and admitted abusing "up to five times a week". Sentenced to 12 months community service order.
Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 01:10 am
E-K

Eames, Anthony (72) RCC priest - Pleaded guilty 1995 to 4 charges of indecent assault on girls under 14 from mid-1950s. 2 years suspended sentence. Died 1999 aged 75. via www.crimenet.com.au and www.antichrist.com.au
Eldridge, Graeme A (58) Presbyterian - 1998 Charged with 28 counts involving 3 boys under 16 in 1981.
Elliott, John Litton (69) Anglican priest - 2002 Found guilty of 10 counts of sodomy and 18 counts of indecent dealing involving five boys aged 10 to 13. Offences occurred c.1974 in QLD. Elliott was ordained 1986, retired 1998. Sentenced to 7½ years jail with parole after 2½ years.
Ellmore, Robert (61) Anglican priest and JP - 1957 Served one month's jail for aggravated assault on 10yo girl in Toowomba. 1967 Charged with indecent exposure in Blues Point, Sydney. 1970s Trained for priesthood and ordained. 1984 Accused of sexually abusing 8yo girl in scripture classes. 1992 Convicted of molesting his 5yo second cousin in 1991. Sentenced to 5 year good behaviour bond and $5000 fine. 1992 Anglican Church revoked his licence to preach. 1998 Charged with abuse of twin 7yo girls. Charges later dropped. Gave himself up to police in February, 1999, after trying to escape arrest. Pleaded guilty 1999 to indecent assault on 2 girls aged 6 and 8yo in NSW Hunter Valley in 1976. Further charges laid re assault on a 7yo girl at around the same time. Sentenced to 12 months jail. June 2000 Still on parole (2 years) when charged with 3 counts of act of indecency while in Cumnock (near Bathurst) in 1980-81. June 2001 Pleaded guilty to twice molesting an 8yo girl in March 2001 while on bail for Cumnock charges. Also pleaded guilty to Cumnock charges. Sentenced to 11 years jail. Ellmore still wore dog collar at time of arrest for 2001 offence. De-frocked late 2002.via www.antichrist.com.au and email
Ellul, Francis Xavier "Frans" (75) RCC priest - 2000 Catholic Church agrees to pay sex abuse victim $200,000 compensation after Church Commission into Sexual Abuse accepts as "substantially correct" victim's allegations against 3 priests, including Br Godfrey AINSWORTH, Fr Francis Ellul and Br Regis SMITH. Commission hears Ellul, of North Balwyn, in 1973 forced female victim, aged 25, to strip in presbytery of St Clare's Catholic Church, Box Hill North, and parade in front of him while he masturbated. Commission told priest also requested menstrual blood from victim. Listed as "retired" in 2002 Directory.
Elmer, Rex Ignatius (53) Christian Brother - 1998 South Melbourne. Pleaded guilty to 12 charges of indecent assault against male under 16 at Christian Brothers orphanage in the 1970s. Received 5 year jail sentence. Originally faced 71 charges including penetration and gross indecency. Was still a member of the order at the time of his arrest.
Evans, Michael, Christian Brother - 1994 Committed suicide the day after being charged with indecent assault on teenage boy while principal at Edmund Rice College. Also accused of assault on at least 5 other boys in the early 1980s.
Fangaake, Toungu (38) Tongan church preacher - 1999 Kissed another man's girlfriend in a nightclub. The man approached Fangaake and a fight developed. Fangaake punched the other man, causing his death.
Farrell, Alan Arthur (45) Anglican - 1994 Convicted of 6 charges involving abduction and penetration of disabled 34yo male. Farrell tied the man and raped him four times in the one night, then turned him loose in the streets with his hands still bound. Sentenced to 8 years jail. Appeal against conviction rejected 1996. Farrell's licence as a priest was indefinitely suspended by the Tasmanian diocese (see explanation at top of page).
Farrell, Stephen Francis (45) Christian Brother - Pleaded guilty 1997 to 9 counts of indecent assault on two boys aged 9 and 10. Sentenced to 2 years jail suspended for 2 years.
Fasciale, Nazareno (69) RCC priest - 1996 Died allegedly of cancer, actually of acute coronary occlusion, while facing 13 charges against 7 children. Told police he "could not deny" fondling children as young as 11 after mass. Fasciale served at Ascot Vale, Brunswick East, Geelong, North Fitzroy, North Melbourne, Thornbury, Williamstown and Yarraville, VIC.
Fitzmaurice, Dominic aka "The Groper", Dominican Brother and primary school teacher - 1994 Catholic Church issues official apology on behalf of Fitzmaurice who was accused in 1994 of indecently assaulting girl, aged 12, in 1972 at St Martin's Girls Primary School, Karina, Brisbane. Church inquiry hears priest described as "dirty old man" with reputation for fondling girls' breasts which progressed to rape in victim's case. Dominican order agrees to pay half victim's counselling costs. Victim support group claims school's head sister warned students to stay away from Fitzmaurice in 1973. Priest dies 1975, aged 62.
Flynn, Leo aka Fr Mintie (83) Jesuit priest and parish priest - 2000 Catholic Church makes confidential $30,000 payment to female flight attendant, then aged 19, after church inquiry found Flynn, formerly of Richmond, sexually assaulted woman in 1973 at her Melbourne flat. Inquiry hears Flynn stalked woman for 3 years after assault occurred, resulting in traumatisation. Flynn known by parishioners as Fr Mintie for handing out sweets to children in Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane parishes.
Folli, Michael Anthony, Marist Brother - 2002 Pleaded guilty to three counts of sexual intercourse without consent with a person under 16 and five counts of indecent assault on a male. The offences took place in 1980-83 while Folli was a teacher at Benedict Senior College, Auburn.
Foster, Raymond aka Brother Celestine (67) Marist Brother - Hanged himself 1999 while facing 5 charges of indecent assault on boy under 16.
Gadwin, John (65) Christian Brother - 1998 Committed suicide duirng police investigation into alleged child sex offences.
Gannon, Desmond Laurence - Pleaded guilty 1997 to 11 charges including indecent assaultand gross indecency against 4 boys 1963-76. Sentenced to 12 months jail suspended for 2 years. Previously convicted 1995 and served 12 month sentence.
Gilsanen, Terry J. (45) Marist Brother - 2001 Pleaded guilty to 3 charges of penetration and gross indecency against 12yo pupil. Sentenced to 3 years jail.
Gladwin, John (65) Christian Brother 1998 Found dead in car at Forest Park, north of Brisbane, while facing child sex charges, including committing unlawful sexual intercourse, against boy, aged 13, in mid-1960s.
Glennon, Michael Charles (46) RCC priest - Convicted 1978 of child sex offences against 10yo girl. Jailed for 2 years. Released in 1979 after serving 7 months, Glennon indecently assaulted another girl 9 weeks later. In 1984 Glennon was charged with assault on an 11yo boy and rape on a 13yo boy, but was acquitted on both counts. In Nov 1985, then 42yo Glennon was charged with offences including buggery and indecent assault on 5 boys and one girl aged between 12 and 16. During preliminary hearings, Derryn Hinch disclosed on radio details of Glennon's 1978 conviction and asked how he had been allowed to continue running a Youth Foundation. In 1991, Glennon was convicted on counts of attempted buggery and buggery with violence. Glennon appealed on the basis of Hinch's compromising a fair trial. The Supreme Court quashed the convictions in Dec 1991. One victim suicided on hearing that. The DPP appealed against the Supreme Court's decision, and the High Court reinstated the convictions in May 1992. Glennon appealed again in June 1992 but the appeal was dismissed. Jailed for 9 years with a minimum of 7 years.
Gordon, Brian Robert (56) RCC - Marist Brother and Queensland Catholic Education administrator convicted 1998 on 8 charges of indecent assault against four 11yo boys. Gordon gave one victim penance of "three Hail Marys" after committing assaults. Originally faced 15 charges. Sentenced to 12 months jail.
Grealy, Thomas William aka Brother Augustine (68) Patrician Brother - 1997 Pleaded guilty to 5 charges including penetration and indecent assault against 9yo boy. Court heard that Grealy covered statue of Virgin Mary with black raincoat before molesting boy in his office, and also "molested numerous boys quite openly". Sentenced to 7 years jail.
Griffith, Eric William (50) Anglican - Pleaded guilty in 1992 to 3 counts of indecent assault and 4 counts of gross indecency against a 14 yo boy in his parish. He was jailed for 18 months; eligible for release 12/4/94.
Gubbels, Jack (49) RCC priest - 1995 Committed suicide only hours after being questioned by police about claims of child abuse.
Hall, Philip Stanley aka Brother Malcolm (73) Marist Brother - Died allegedly of heart failure after being charged with multiple child sex offences including digital penetration and indecent assault against girls and boys, aged 9 to 16, during 1960s. via ? and email
Haln, Young Key - Queensland. Haln, a church minister, was jailed for 8 years on charges of rape, digital rape and indecent assault. The victim was a 14-year-old girl. via www.crimenet.com.au
Hallet, John (45) Christian Brother - 1995 Convicted of two charges against pupils at the (aboriginal) school he was principal of. Originally faced 72 charges with 35 children, some as young as 6yo. Conviction later overturned.
Hardy, Phillip John (40) Marist Brother, trainee priest, school teacher - Pleaded guilty in 1995 to 13 counts and convicted on another 5 against a single boy from the ages of 8-16yo. The abuse ended in 1986 when the victim bit Hardy during an incident. At the time of the offences, Hardy was a religious education teacher. When the assaults were brought into the open, Hardy left the school and joined a religious order as a trainee priest. Sentenced to minimum 7 years maximum 11 years jail, in protective custody because of the nature of his offences.
Hartcher, Guy Norman (47) RCC priest, school teacher, seminary rector and Vincentian brother - 1994 Appears in Sydney Local Court charged with 10 counts of indecently assaulting boy, aged 11 to 13, between 1973 and 1975 at St Stanislaus College, Bathurst, west of Sydney. Court hears Hartcher, following assaults, was transferred to Vincentian establishments overseas before returning in early 1990s to take up position as rector of Rostrevor Catholic Seminary, Adelaide. In 1994, Adelaide Advertiser reports SA Vincentian order paid $40,000 out-of-court settlement to another victim who was allegedly abused by Hartcher when boy aged 14. Newspaper says order made payment without admitting any liability or offering any apology to victim.
Hawkins, Garth Stephen, Anglican - May 2002 Internal church tribunal found Hawkins guilty of 8 counts of sexual assault and 2 of rape on two boys during the period 1979-84. Hawkins defrocked June 2002. via email
Hesford, Francis (83) Marist Brother - Pleaded guilty 1997 to indecent assault on 2 girls in 1970, 9&12yo. 12 month good behaviour bond.
Hewitt, Edward Patrick (50) RCC priest - Pleaded guilty 1986 to wilful exposure. Fined $200 and church stood him down from active duties for several months before transferring him to a different area. Pleaded guilty 1996 to wilfully exposing himself to two 13yo boys (Hewitt stood naked at gate of his home as children walked to school). Preached Easter sermon only a few days after pleading guilty. Fined $1000 and suspended from parish duties. Now retired.
Hocking, William (Bill) (48) Christian Brother in charge of youth refuge - Pleaded guilty 1992 to aggravated indecent assault on 14yo boy. Sentenced to 150 hours community service.
Holmes, Gary William (48) Riverdale New Ministries Elder and former Jesus People mission director - Pleaded guilty to 30 charges of indecent assault and indecent dealing. Sentenced to 4½ years jail.
Hoopman, David Bertrand (73) Lutheran pastor, student counsellor and school chaplain - 2002 Appears in Brisbane District Court on 6 charges of indecent dealing with girl, aged under 16, while student counsellor and school chaplain at Concordia Memorial College between 1979 and 1981. Court hears Hoopman assaulted victim in school library and other places and once told girl it was best if no one knew about it "except God, him and her".
Hopkins, Ronald William (63) trainee Christian Brother - 1999 Pleaded guilty to six counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and one count of indecent assault on a 13-year-old schoolboy. Hopkins was a former school principal, and the offences took place at a shop owned by him in Adelaide. Sentenced to 2 years jail.
Hourigan, Daniel (65) RCC priest - 1995 Committed suicide 3 days after being charged on child sex offences.
Houston, William (60) Christian Brother - Committed for trial 2001 on 3 charges of sexual penetration and indecent assault on boy in 1960s.
Howarth, Kevin (59) RCC priest - 1996 Pleaded guilty to 5 charges of indecent assault on 2 girls 11yo and 8yo. The offences occurred in 1983, and the parents first complained to the church in 1984. They were told their daughters would "get over it as they're only young". Sentenced to 6 month intensive correction order and fined $2000.
Jordan, John Joseph aka Brother Fabian (69) Christian Brother - Pleaded guilty 1999 to one count indecent assault on 13yo boy in Geelong orphanage. Originally faced 74 charges against 3 boys. Given 12 month good behaviour bond.
Keane, John (63) RCC priest - Convicted 1990 of exposing himself in public toilet (observed by plain clothes police). Sentenced to 12 month good behaviour bond.
Keating, Frank Terrence aka Brother Ibar (55) De La Salle Brother - Pleaded guilty 1998 to 21 charges on 12 boys under 13yo between 1972-78 in Melbourne. Sentenced to 3 years with 28 months suspended. Previously stood down from employment twice after complaints of sexual abuse. After one parent complained in 1978, the order sent Keating on 2 years study leave and subsequently appointed him principal in a Catholic school in another state. Keating taught in WA, Qld, NSW and Victoria. He left the order in 1991. Note: A survivor of Keating's abuse has set up a support group for other victims of Keating. Click here to contact him
Keliher, Terence Thomas (62) RCC priest - Pleaded guilty 2000 to two counts indecently dealing with 9yo girl. The girl's intellectually disabled mother had begged Keliher to stop the abuse. He was sentenced to 2½ years jail.
King, Gordon Virgo (70) Anglican priest - 1994 Convicted of sodomy and indecent dealing against boys at an Anglican youth drop-in centre. Sentenced to 4 years jail with a recommendation to parole after 1 year. Previously convicted Cairns 1993 (gross indecency in 1962-3, sentenced to one year's jail) and WA 1956 (4 counts indecent dealing, sentenced to 1 year's jail). The Anglican Church did not dismiss him in 1956 and he transferred to Qld, ministered in parishes until 1981 then became Director of Anglican Youth Services in Cairns.
Kiss, Vincent Kieran (70) RCC - 2002 Pleaded guilty in a Sydney court to 13 child sex charges - 10 indecent assault, 3 buggery - on four boys aged 13-17 between 1966 and 1973. When the offences occurred, Kiss was the Catholic Diocesan Director of Youth in Wagga Wagga. Sentenced to 7-10 years jail. Kiss had already served 7 years in jail for embezzlement (1992-99) during which time his name was linked with an alleged paedophile network operating out of Pagsanjan. Kiss is not listed in the 2002 Catholic Directory. via The Age 8/8/02 and Broken Rites newsletter
Kitchingham, Allan (69) Anglican - 2002 Receives 2 year and 9 month jail sentence after pleading guilty in Newcastle District Court to 5 counts of indecent assault against boy, aged 13, in 1975 at North Coast Children's Home, Lismore. Victim, who described ruling as "joke", claims priest assaulted him "several times a week for a year" and that church officials put him on bus to Kings Cross after complaints made. Kitchingman will be eligible for release on the 4th of February, 2004 and will then be on parole for 1 year. via www.antichrist.com.au and direct info from Grafton diocese
Klep, Francis (51) RCC priest and Salesian Brother - Convicted 1994 on 4 charges of indecent assault on 2 boys. Sentenced to 9 month intensive correction order. Transferred to another Salesian house, and according to Broken Rites, Klep is still ministering in Samoa.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 01:12 am
L-P

Laishkochav, Alistah aka Ian Francis Lowe and Ariel Abraham Enki (71) - 1999 Charged with 40 offences including sexual penetration of under 10yo, attempted penetration, indecent assault, and recklessly causing injury. Offences were against children in his commune.
Lane, John Henry, Salvation Army officer - 1997 Convicted of sexually abusing 7yo girl in Sunday School class. Sentenced to 12 months jail.
Lannen, Michael William (49) trainee RCC priest, eucharist minister and senior prison psychologist - 1996 Convicted on charges of official corruption and procuring sex by intimidation. Lannen "adopted" boy, aged 12, in 1985 through Children's Services Department and allegedly traded sexual favours with male prisoners in return for favourable parole reports. Also served as clinical psychologist at Mater Children's Hospital, South Brisbane, during 1980s. Sentenced to 4 years jail.
Leunig, Leo St Clair (68) RCC priest - Pleaded guilty 1994 to 46 charges involving 3 boys, including indecent dealing, indecent assault and carnal knowledge. Sentenced to 6 years jail. Leunig lived nedxt door to a p[arish primary school for many years, but the church did not warn the school principal or parents, in spite of having known of Leunig's behaviour since 1979. When the father of one of the victims found out, Leunig admitted it and moved from WA to the east coast. He claims his offending stopped in 1980. His faculties were revoked when a Catholic bishop learnt of the abuse, but in 1995 Leunig was still listed in the Catholic Directory as a supplementary (relieving) priest. 1995 Pleaded guilty to a further 4 charges of indecent dealing and carnal knowledge involving one boy 1973-76. Sentenced to a further 12 months jail.
Little, Bruce Francis (54) - 1996 QLD Gold Coast: Pleaded guilty to act of indecency in public park toilet after numerous complaints by parents. Transferred after arrest from Burleigh Heads to Redcliffe parish, where he was listed as one of the three parish priests at the time of sentencing. Fined $750. No conviction recorded. Currently (2002) in Clermont (Rockhampton diocese).
Littler, John Aloysius aka Brother Nestor (74) Marist Brother - Pleaded guilty 1993 to 3 charges. Five year good behaviour bond. Littler fled after further investigations commenced and was arrested and extradited from US in 1996 while ministering in Chicago. 1996 Faced a further 30 charges involving 7 boys, including penetration and indecent assault.
Lloyd, Barrington (43) Anglican priest 1995 Failed to appear in WA court on charges of indecently assaulting woman between 1990 and 1991 in WA. Warrant issued for Lloyd's arrest.
McArdle, Michael Joseph (66) RCC - 2002 Admitted serial abuse to newspaper reporters, and claimed the diocese had known and covered up. Bishop Heenan (Rockhampton) confirmed the abuse and issued public apology. The victims were mostly 10yo altar boys, who McArdle claimed "wanted it because they didn't resist". He refused to turn himself in to police, and said he didn't need psychiatric help because he was dealing with it on a spiritual level. McArdle had retired in 1988 but was still involved privately with worshippers. He was charged and appeared in court on April 16 2003. He pleaded guilty to more than 60 child sex offences, including indecent dealing with a boy under 14 between January 1973 and December 1974, together with a number of other offences of a similar nature. The indecent dealing and indecent treatment involved more than a dozen complainants and occurred between 1965 and 1987. via Courier Mail 15/6/02 and http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=462
McAuley, Ross Leslie Stewart, Anglican priest, St John's Cathedral precentor, choirmaster and Church Sexual Abuse Committee member - 1995 Complainant made allegations of sexual assault against McAuley in 1975 at Brookfield, Brisbane. Later in 1995, Archbishop Hollingworth appointed McAuley to Sexual Abuse Complaints Committee despite protests from victim. After a second complaint went to the Complaints Committee (who were not informed of the previous complaint) the Committee warned Hollingworth that McAuley should not be left in charge of young members of choir. Eighteen months later McAuley left the Anglican Church. Anglican sources describe McAuley as sexual predator. In 1999, McAuley joined Catholic Church in Devonport, TAS and applied to become a trainee priest. Subsequent inquiries by the RCC led to McAuley's application being refused. McAuley is now living near Ballarat.
McGrath, Bernard Kevin (50) St John of God Brother - 1997 Pleaded guilty to 6 counts of indecent assault against 12yo boy. Sentenced to 9 months jail. Previously pleaded guilty in 1993 to 10 charges of indecent assault involving 6 boys while ministering in NZ. Received two 3 year jail sentences to be served concurrently.
McKeirnan, Ronald John (60) RCC priest, school chaplain, scoutmaster - 1998 Pleaded guilty to 15 counts against 9 boys of indecent assault and indecent dealing between 1964 and 1965 and again between 1975 and 1977, while a school chaplain. Originally charged with 27 counts against 13 boys. Jailed for 3 years, suspended after 12 months. The judge also said that he had no doubt that McKeirnan was genuinely remorseful and had taken steps as early as 1973 to to rehabilitate himself, going to the US for counselling and eventually putting himself in a job where he would not be in contact with youths. In 1999, Fr McKeirnan appeared in QLD court charged with indecently assaulting 3 prisoners while in prison library. In 2002, operating under name "Pastoral Services" developing web pages for Catholic agency Church Life & Mission, Brisbane, where he has worked since 2000. via www.crimenet.com.au & www.antichrist.com.au
McLachlan, Paul (67) RCC priest - Convicted 2000 on seven counts including indecent dealing and sexual penetration (sodomy) on 13yo boy. Originally charged with 27 offences. Sentenced to 3yrs 8 months jail. McLachlan had been head of the Catholic Media Office in Qld for 19 yrs. (Courier-Mail [Brisbane, Queensland], 5 October 2000, p. 5). In 2001, McLachlan receives additional 18 month jail sentence in Brisbane District Court after pleading guilty to 10 further charges of indecently assaulting 4 boys over 9 year period between 1965 and 1974. Court hears McLachlan used his position to intimidate boys and told one boy he would "go to hell" and God would punish his family if he complained about assault to anyone.
McNamara, Hugh "Ossie" aka Brother Oswald McManus (65) Marist Brother - 1995 Convicted for indecently dealing with a Brisbane schoolboy. 1997 Implicated in the suicide of footballer Peter Jackson, whom he confessed to abusing, and whose widow sued for damages. 1998 Received 3 year good behaviour bond in Parramatta District Court after being convicted on physical assault charge. 1999 Appeared in Parramatta District Court charge with indecently assaulting boy, aged 12, in 1970 at St Joseph's College, Hunter's Hill, Sydney.
Maguire, John, (48) Marist brother and teacher/deputy headmaster - 2002 Ordered to appear in Sydney Central Court to face 16 charges of indecent assault against 6 schoolboys between 1984 and 1985 at St Joseph's College, Hunter's Hill, Sydney. Until he was charged in February 2002, following 18 month investigation by NSW police, Maguire was deputy headmaster at Ashgrove Marist Brothers College, Brisbane, where he lived on-site.
Main, Eric, Uniting Church - Found guilty of rape and sexual abuse of multiple parishioners in church enquiry. Confession on tape. Defrocked. via email
Marchant, William Edwin (60) Christian Brother - 1997 Charged with 4 counts of gross indecency against 12yo boy. Pleaded guilty to one count. Sentenced to 12 months community service involving 40 hours work.
Merivale, Terence Michael (58) RCC priest - 2000 Pleaded guilty to 8 charges including indecent assault and digital penetration on 3 girls under 14. Sentenced to 12 months jail, reduced to 6 months on appeal.
Mesiti, Pat, Assemblies of God senior pastor, Australian Christian Churches national director and "internationally lauded" evangelist - 2002 Sacked as ACC national director and stripped of license to minister amid allegations of sex abuse and predatory behaviour while associate minister at Hillsong AoG church, Castle Hill, northwest of Sydney. via victim and SMH 27/3/02
Monaghan, Ian James (37) Anglican church elder - 1992 Coffs Harbour. Pleaded guilty to 30 charges against 11 boys aged between six and 15. The charges included sexual intercourse without consent, assault and act of indecency. Monaghan met all the boys through church activities. Sentenced to 7 years jail with a minimum of four years. Judge commented that Monaghan's crimes were "particularly depraved" and would "cause disgust and abhorrence to all right-thinking people". Before moving to Coffs Harbour, Monaghan had served as an altar boy at Urunga, during which time the priest was Eric William Griffith (see above).
Morley, John Sydney (67) Anglican priest and army chaplain - 1992 Pleaded guilty to indecent assault of 11yo girl and 15yo girl. 18 month suspended sentence.
Moynihan, Berchmans (79) St John of God and Christian Brother - 1995 Died shortly after being committed for trial on charges of raping a 9yo boy in 1958.
Mulligan, Terence, Marist Brother - St Joseph's College Hunter's Hill, 1970s. No offence details. 6 months periodic detention. via Broken Rites newsletter and email
Mulvale, Gerard Joseph (47) RCC priest and Pallottine Brother - Pleaded guilty August 1995 to 2 counts against 15yo boy in 1980-81. Sentenced to 3 years jail, with non-parole period reduced to 18 months on appeal. November 1995 convicted of three counts against 15yo boy 1977-78. Total of 121 counts of rape, abduction, gross and indecent assault, most of which were dropped. Victims claimed the church had known of the complaints for 15 years. Another (female) victim suicided in 1994 after revealing her abduction and rape by Mulvale. Charges were dropped due to the death of the complainant. Mulvale was ordained in 1979, still listed as a priest in the 1996 Australian Catholic Directory and the Pallottines say that he will still minister with them when he is released.
Murphy, Lawrence Denis (82) Christian Brother - 1997 Committed for trial on 6 charges including carnal knowledge and indecent assault on boys in orphanages across WA. In 1998, Murphy, of Christies Beach, Adelaide, fails to appear in Perth District Court claiming "too ill to travel". Judge rejects claim and orders Murphy to fly to Perth or "suffer consequences".
Murray, James William (75) RCC msgr - 2000 Pleaded guilty to 3 counts of indecent assault against a 25yo woman who had worked as parish assistant in 1974. Fined $5000. Msgr Murray applied for suppression of his name on the grounds of embarrassment but was refused. Archbishop Pell was accused of contravening church law when he reinstalled Murray subsequent to his conviction. Murray was still on the list of Supplementary Priests in Melbourne in 2002.
Murre, Michael Anton (50) former Marist Brother & former Anglican Church deacon - 2000 Convicted on 1 charge of indecent assault against schoolboy, aged 13, in 1972 while teacher at Marcellin Catholic College, Randwick, Sydney. Received 15 month suspended sentence. In 1997, Murre received 3 year good behaviour bond in Sydney court after pleading guilty to supplying marijuana to schoolboy, aged 18, in 1996 while religious teacher at Newington Uniting Church Boys College, in Sydney's inner west. Boy died from drug overdose while watching videos at Murre's house; Murre was boy's "sole drug supplier". In 1996, Murre received 12 month $2000 good behaviour bond in Sydney court after pleading guilty to cultivating 11 marijuana plants at Bowral.
Nelson, Robert John, ex-de la Salle brother - No offence details. 6-10 years jail. via Broken Rites newsletter
Nestor, John (44) RCC priest - 1997 Convicted of aggravated assault on 15yo altar boy. Sentenced to 12 months jail. Conviction later overturned.
Nobbs, Stephen Enoch, (69) Seventh Day Adventist senior deacon, fund-raiser and "pillar of community"- 2001 Received suspended 12 month jail sentence in Norfolk Island Supreme Court after being convicted on 6 child sex offences, including 2 counts of indecent assault and 4 of performing indecent act, against 2 girls, aged 7 and 13, in 1981 and again in 1996-8 at Norfolk Island.
O'Brien, Thomas Ross (57) RCC priest - 1993 convicted of indecent assault on young male hitch-hiker. 18 month good behaviour bond. via www.crimenet.com.au
O'Dempsey, Damien John (45) Christian Brother - 1994 Pleaded guilty to 6 counts of indecently dealing with a pupil in 1987 at the school where he was principal. Sentenced to 18 months jail with a non-parole period of 4 months. At the time of the hearing, O'Dempsey was in a senior administrative position with the Christian Brothers in Qld, and his duties included handling complaints of former students about sexual abuse by Christian Brothers.
O'Donnell, John Kevin (78) RCC priest - Pleaded guilty 1995 to 12 counts against both males and females aged 8-14yo between 1946-77. Sentenced to 39 months jail with a minimum of 15 months. At least four victims said they had also complained to church officials, including the Vicar General, between 1958-86. A district scout leader also said he had complained to the church after victims had told him of their abuse, but no action was taken. Originally faced 49 charges, and his victims included cubs, scouts, parish school students and altar boys during at least 35 of his 50 years of priesthood. O'Donnell died 1997.
O'Regan, John (74) RCC priest and Oblates of Mary Immaculate Brother - 1998 Died shortly before being charged with multiple sexual offences on orphanage children in the 1950s and 60s.
O'Rourke, Leonard John (79) RCC priest - 2000 Committed for trial on 13 charges of indecent dealing against 5 boys under 14 from 1960-63.
Painter, Michael Roderick (54) Anglican - WA,1994 Pleaded guilty to indecent assault of 17yo boy. Also charged with 4 counts against 13yo. Sentenced to 3 years probation and 240 hours community service. Painter committed suicide a week after sentencing. Anglican Archbishop Peter Carnley subsequently called for more balanced reporting of allegations of child sex abuse. The Sunday Times alleged the Anglican Church had tried for many years to cover up Painter's activities.
Perrett, David, RCC priest - No detail of offence. Non-custodial sentence awarded. via Broken Rites newsletter
Pickering, Ronald Dennis, RCC priest - 2002 Catholic Church pays sex abuse victims more than $50,000 compensation after acknowledging Pickering sexually abused mainly young choir and altar boys between 1966 and 1993 while priest at Essendon, St Kilda East, Warburton, Clayton and Gardenvale. Church Independent Sexual Abuse Commission admits Pickering "had a proclivity for child abuse" and one victim claims up to 100 boys may have been abused by Pickering who lured his young victims with promises of watching television or receiving pocket money for doing odd jobs. In 1993, Pickering fled AUS following legal investigation and was last heard living in England where he applied to become priest. In 2002, victims informed Pickering's extradition to face charges in Melbourne "unlikely" since case "not serious enough" to justify costs. Also in 2002, former Gardenvale Catholic primary school teacher reveals she raised concerns about Pickering with former Melbourne Catholic Archbishop George PELL in 1989, but was "brushed aside".
Pidoto, Terence Melville (56) RCC priest - 2001 Convicted on 4 charges of indecent assault on 10yo altar boy in Kilmore, north of Melbourne between 1977 and 1988. Pidoto had persuaded the altarboy's mother that regular massages would benefit the boy's football skills. Pidoto was sentenced to 3 years jail. He is not currently a practising priest. ABC News 10/5/02 indicated convictions quashed and retrial ordered. via http://abc.net.au/news/justin/weekly/newsnat-10may2002-58.htm and email
Pritchard, Peter Harold aka Joseph (53) St Gerard Order Vicar-General - 1993 Convicted of indecent assault on naval cadet while he was serving as naval chaplain. Sentenced to $2000/2 year good behaviour bond. 1997 Pleaded guilty to sexually abusing 6 teenagers and a 21-year-old man who were considering vocations between 1973 and 1992. Sentenced to 6 years jail. Former religious brother, priest, and high school principal.
Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 01:14 am
Q-Z

Rapson, David Edward (37) RCC priest and Salesian Brother - 1992 Pleaded guilty to 5 counts of indecent assault against 15yo boy. Sentenced to 2 years jail. Originally faced 10 counts. At the time of his trial, Rapson was no longer teaching but was still supported by the Salesian Order.
Redfern, Graham, RCC priest - 2002 Report reveals AUS Catholic Church paid sex abuse victim $15,000 compensation after Church Commission into Sexual Abuse finds priest sexually abused youth, aged 18, in 1976 just weeks after giving last rites to victim's mother. Police statements allege Redfern took youth to motels and on country trips, where sexual abuse occurred. Despite commission's finding, church found it would "not be in public interest" to sack Redfern. Report reveals that, after victim lodged statements with VIC police in 1995, Redfern went on "sabbatical" from Seymour parish where he had served since early 1990s and in 1996 reappeared at St Thomas More Church, Mt Eliza, where he served as assistant priest until 2001.
Ridsdale, Gerald aka Fozzie Bear (b.1934) RCC priest - 1993 Pleaded guilty to 30 counts against 8 boys. Jailed for 15 months. Released after 3 months. Publicity resulted in 151 new charges being laid in 1994. In total, pleaded guilty to 46 counts, although charged with 180 counts. Jailed for 18 years, with a minimum of 15 years. Appeal dismissed. Previously convicted for offences against 8 victims and sentenced to jail 27 years earlier (1966). One of his victims later needed an operation to repair damage resulting from constant anal rape. Ridsdale was known to carry a jar of Vaseline in his car. When children refused to go with him on a pretext, he would ask their parents who would then instruct their children to assist the priest. Complaints date from the time of his ordination in 1961, through nine parishes to 1982. Detectives stated the Church moved Ridsdale to a new parish whenever there was a complaint. Ridsdale claimed himself molested as child by Christian Brother. He was dismissed by the Pope in November 1993. Note: In 1972 Ridsdale shared the presbytery (the clergy house) with (now Archbishop) George Pell. Pell declares he knew nothing of Ridsdale's activities in spite of the fact that Ridsdale's activities were common knowledge both among the church hierarchy and local parishes and many of Ridsdales' victims were abused in the presbytery. from APSOI and www.antichrist.com.au
Riley, Greg Francis, Christian Brother - 1999 Pleaded guilty to 17 counts of indecent assault. Offences occurred late 1970s and early 1980s. Sentenced to 3 years jail. Note: The case resulted from information the victims gave to Justice Wood`s inquiry into corruption in NSW.
Robinson, Brian James (74) Christian Brother - 1999 Committed for trial in Brisbane Magistrates Court on 4 sex charges, including 2 counts of carnal knowledge and 2 of permitting carnal knowledge, against children, aged under 16, from 1969 in QLD.
Robinson, Stephen Joseph (51) St Gerard Brother - Convicted 1998 for acts of indecency against 2 novices 1979-81. Sentenced to 18 months jail.
Rosenow, William "Hallelujah Bill" (70) Salvation Army member - 1994 Dies after being charged with indecently assaulting female employee, aged 24, at his home in Victoria. Rosenow described as "prominent Ballarat businessman" and "sanctimonious Christian".
Rubeo, Victor (63) RCC priest - 1996 Pleaded guilty to indecent assault on two boys in his parish. Sentenced to a 12 month good behaviour bond. In August 1996, while waiting to appear in court, Rubeo resigned his parish and retired from ministry. He became eligible to his retirement benefits in 1998.
Ryan, Gerard Vincent (58) RCC priest - Hunter Valley: Pleaded guilty 1996 to 30 charges including indecent assault and sexual penetration. Sentenced to 6 years jail with 2 years non-parole. Appeal dismissed. Convicted 1997 for 53 further offences against boys under 14. Sentenced to 16 years jail to commence May 2000 at end of previous sentence. A complaint against Ryan in the mid-70s resulted in him being sent to a retreat in Melbourne, where he attended one counselling session before returning to parish work. In August 1996 Bishop Malone, of the Maitland-Newcastle Diocese, urged other victims to come forward, but said "Vince Ryan is still a priest and until such time as he wants to leave the priesthood and return to the lay community - that is become a human again - that would be his decision". via APSOI 27/2/03 Ryan's sentence reduced by 4 years on appeal, due to "his otherwise good character, and the stress and stigma he had endured from his convictions", plus the fact that he disclosed offences unknown to police. The diocese has guaranteed Ryan will be disqualified from pastoral duties on release and placed in the RCC's in-house sex offender supervision programme, Encompass. via SMH 27/2/03
Sampson, Lloyd Luciano (47) New Apostolic Church minister - Perth 2000. Charged with 15 counts of sexual penetration and indecent assault on 3 girls (sisters). The offences came to the attention of police after the youngest girl finally complained to her older sisters because he was hurting her so much and she wanted to kill herself. Doctors found internal injuries. The girls' 3-year-old brother also showed similar evidence of bleeding from the lower bowel which suggested he had also been molested but because he was too young to give a statement or to testify police laid no charges. Three juries convicted Sampson on five charges of sexual penetration and three of indecent dealing against the two younger girls, and against the three as a group. A fourth jury cleared him of any wrong doing against the eldest girl. Sampson (married with 2 children) was dismissed as minister after charges laid. Sentenced to 10 years jail, eligible for parole after 4 years.
Sargent, Haydn Gerald (62) - Sydney Church of Christ minister and Brisbane talkback radio host. 1998 Charged with 12 child sex offences, including 2 counts of committing unlawful sexual intercourse and 10 of indecent assault, against boy, aged under 16, between 1959 and 1960 in Sydney. Charges dropped in 1999 on grounds victim too disturbed to testify.
Schmitt, Raymond George, Christian missionary - 1998 Convicted of indecent dealing with 14yo boy in his care. Sentenced to 3½ years jail.
Searson, Peter (74) RCC priest and primary school teacher - 1997 Receives 6 month good behaviour bond in Dandenong Magistrates Court after pleading guilty to charges of physically assaulting altar boy, aged 12, between 1984 and 1997 while priest at Doveton, VIC. On one occasion, Searson struck boy because he giggled during mass. Also in 1997, Searson was removed from his parish after 50 people complained about him taking children out of school for one-on-one sex education classes.
Sharwood, Robert Francis, Anglican priest and school chaplain - 2002 Sacked as chaplain of Brisbane's exclusive Churchie Anglican Grammar school after allegations surface that he repeatedly molested young male between 1974 and 1976 in Brisbane's west. Police contacted in January 2002 after victim learns Sharwood still working with children.
Shea, John Rowan (Jack) (73) ex-trainee priest - 1996 Pleaded guilty to 2 charges of attempted penetration and indecent assault on 2 boys under 16 between 1969-78. At a separate trial in Dec 1995 convicted on 10 counts of indecent assault and attempted buggery. Sentenced to 3 years jail with a minimum of 12 months. Appeal dismissed. Shea had traded on his connections with bishops and priests and claimed he was looking for boys to become priests.
Shearman, Donald (76) Anglican bishop and OBE recipient - 2002 Shearman publicly admits truth of allegations of his 2 year long abuse of a 14yo girl in mid-1950s at church-run boarding home. He refused to apologise. The victim had gone to Archbishop Hollingworth in 1995, and Shearman had admitted the allegations then. Hollingworth had not taken any action. In 1993, another victim allegedly went to Hollingworth with abuse claims against bishop but apparently was discouraged from going to police. Shearman's priest's license was revoked only after Hollingworth took leave from the archbishopric to become Governor General in 2001.
Simpson, Terence Anthony (58) Christian Brother - 1998 Pleaded guilty to 6 counts of indecent dealing with two boys aged 8 & 9 in 1962 at St Joseph's College in Qld. Sentenced to 2 years jail, suspended. No longer a member of the order.
Smith, Charles Alan (65) Salvation Army major - Pleaded guilty 1997 to 39 charges including gross indecency and indecent assault on 9 boys, having already previously pleaded guilty to 76. Sentenced to 15 years jail.
Smith, Regis, Melbourne Franciscan brother and Catholic priest - 2000 Catholic Church agrees to pay sex abuse victim $200,000 compensation after Church Commission into Sexual Abuse accepts as "substantially correct" victim's allegations against 3 priests, including Br Godfrey AINSWORTH, Fr Francis ELLUL and Br Regis Smith. Commission hears Smith, of Waverley, Sydney, in 1982 indecently assaulted female victim, aged 34, over 3 hour period at St Kilda. Commission told priest was former footballer whose strength was "enormous".
Souter, Robert Leslie (46) Jehovah's Witness - August 2000 Pleaded guilty to one count of buggery and four counts of indecent assault on two teenage boys from 1978-80. Sentenced to five years jail with three years non-parole. Had admitted the offences to church elders, who disfellowshipped him five years later, but did nothing more. Judge commented extremely unfavourably on church's lack of action, and reduced the sentence because Souter was himself a child abuse victim. (Illawarra Mercury 5/8/2000)
Spratt, Peter Richard (59) Marist Brother - Pleaded guilty 1996 to indecent assault on 14yo boy in 1979. Spratt left the order in the early 1980s. His co-operation with the police investigation earned him a reduced sentence. Sentenced to 2 year good behaviour bond and fined $2000. Request for name suppression denied.
Sullivan, Desmond, 57 (VIC, 1998). Melbourne Marist Brother and Catholic secondary school teacher. Admits to breaking celibacy vow after confessing to fathering son to woman, aged 23, in 1989 whom he met in 1984 while teacher at Catholic secondary college in country VIC. Church inquiry hears Sullivan maintained sexual relationship with girl over 5 year period but abandoned her soon after son born. In 1998, victim went to media after Marist Brothers order refused to cover half costs of child's upbringing.
Sutton, Gregory Joseph aka AB (45) Marist Brother - 1996 Pleaded guilty to 67 charges of sexual penetration and indecent assault on 11 boys and 4 girls under 11yo between 1976 and 1987 at Mosman, Eastwood and Lismore. Sutton fled after investigations commenced and was arrested in US while principal of St Louis Catholic school. Sentenced to 18 years jail.
Sweeney, John Gerard Patrick (59) St Gerard Majella brother - Pleaded guilty 1993 to indecent assault on 18yo naval apprentice, and received good behaviour bond. Convicted 1997 of three counts of indecent assault and jailed for 18 months. Pleaded guilty in 1998 to act of indecency. Originally faced 21 charges including penetration and indecent assault. Lost Order of Australia Medal over offences.
Swiatkowski, Tadeusz (42) RCC - 1998 Pleaded guilty to soliciting for prostitution. Fined $250. Counsel for Swiatkowski pleaded for leniency on the basis of already endured public humiliation. Swiatkowski , although living in Newcastle NSW, was convicted in Brisbane. (Tadeusz = Polish; Edward)
Swingler, Alan Edward (53) ex-trainee Marist Brother - 1996 Pleaded guilty to 10 counts of gross indecency and indecent assault and found guilty on a further four counts of gross indecency, indecent assault and buggery. Swingler left the order before completing his training, but then taught religion. The mother of one victim said even after the family complained to the school, Swingler was retained on staff. Sentenced to 7 years jail with five years non-parole.
Tasker, Donald Gilbert (61) teacher and ex-trainee Presbyterian minister - 1992 Pleaded guilty to two counts of indecent assault. Found guilty on a further 27 charges of indecent assault, attempted indecent assault, aggravated gross indecency, sexual penetration with aggreavating circumstances on a child over 10 and a child under 10. Sentenced to 6 years jail with a minimum 4 years. Appeal resulted in retrial of all charges to which Tasker had pleaded not guilty, and he was subsequently found guilty of two counts of indecent assault and one of attempted indecent assault, and acquitted on a firther 13 charges. Sentenced to 6 month jail term suspended for two years.
Taylor, Albert Matthew aka Brother George (83) de la Salle brother - Pleaded guilty 1996 to 2 counts indecent assault against 11yo student at de la Salle College, Revesby. Sentenced to 3 year good behaviour bond, following a doctor's report that Taylor's condition would "very rapidly deteriorate" if he was sent to prison.
Taylor, Colgan, (80) Marist Brother NSW - 2002 Pleaded guilty to molesting two young girls, one of them intellectually disabled. The disabled girl was between 8 and 11yo at the time of the offences (which spanned a 3year period) and the other girl was 5yo. Taylor was jailed for 18 months suspended after 4 months. The judge said that the former brother had shown genuine remorse and was extremely unlikely to re-offend. Taylor had been a Marist school headmaster until his 50s, then tranferring into pastoral care work. Though living in a home for retired brothers in Sydney at the time of conviction, he was charged and convicted in Brisbane District court since the offences occurred in the Gladstone area. via www.crimenet.com.au , http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=462 and http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,5589279,00.html
Treacy, John Leslie (57) RCC priest - Pleaded guilty 1993 to indecent assault of 16 yo boy. Treacy told boy "good friends do this" after molesting him during weekend beach trip. Placed on $750/12 month good behaviour bond, no conviction recorded. Subsequently returned to parish work in Dalby, Qld, then 2000-2002 leading Sunday Mass and Holy Communion for patients aged 13 and over at Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane.
Van Klooster, Adrian Richard (59) RCC priest. 2002 Appears in Bunbury Magistrates Court charged with 2 counts of indecently dealing with 2 children, aged under 13. Van Klooster was kicked and punched by mob of 7 people, including victims' relatives, as he entered courthouse. He was bailed on $10,000 and stood down as parish priest of Christ the Living Vine Catholic church, Leschenault. Also charged with 12 counts of indecently dealing with a child under 13, four of indecently recording a child under 13 and one of possessing child pornography. Pleaded guilty January 2003, sentenced to 8 years jail. via The West Australian Online 12/5/2003
Veness, Alan aka Geoffrey (62) Marist Brother - 2000 Charged with 3 counts of indecently dealing with 15yo student in 1994.
Waters, Peter RCC - 1999 RCC Commission into Sexual Abuse found Waters had abused Michael Santamaria, a member of one of Australia's prominent Catholic families. Santamaria reported having spoken with another of Waters' victims, and is believed to be one of four victims who complained to the Commission. Waters was put on "administrative leave", but refused to co-operate with the internal investigation.
Wiggins, Leslie James (63) Anglican - 1991 Convicted of indecent assault of 3 boys 11 and 12 yo in 1989-90. 3 months sentence suspended for 12 months. Wiggins had been commended by an archbishop and received an award from the Anglican Boys Society for his work with children.
Wright, Leo Daniel (57) RCC priest - Pleaded guilty 1995 to 17 counts of gross indecency, indecent assault and indecent dealing of 3 girls (2 under 12yo), a 14yo boy and an 18yo woman. Sentenced to 3 years jail. After sentencing, the Catholic diocesan chancellor (legal advisor), the Rev Jim Spence, said Wright would always be a priest; the church's concern was what his mission would be when he got out of jail. One victim complained to the church in 1990 and requested that Wright be removed from parish work. The Church agreed, but Wright was still ministering in 1993, and when the woman complained again, Wright was sent to St Luke's Institute, a treatment facility in the US. Wright was still listed as a priest in the 1995 Australian Catholic Directory. In 1997 Wright pleaded guilty to 8 counts. Sentenced to additional 18 months, suspended after 6 months. Last heard 2002 working as "companion" for clients including sex abuse victims and drug addicts at Bethel Cummunity Centre, Gold Coast, run by QLD Sisters of St Joseph's.
Yancey, Jack Karl (60) Church of Christ charismatic church minister - 1993 Pleaded guilty in Brisbane Magistrates Court to 11 postal harassment charges. Yancey sent his (female television personality) victims sexually explicit letters accompanied by photographs from pornographic magazines depicting group heterosexual sex, group lesbian sex, pregnant women and oral sex. Received suspended 6 month jail sentence.
Yang, Myong duk, Uniting Church minister - Church investigation in 2000 substantiated allegations of sexual misconduct with an adult parishioner. Myong duk Yang admitted the offence, and church action included a period of being stood down from ministry and a twelve month period of supervision. via letters and involvement with victim

ST GEORGE'S, Rockhampton Anglican children's home - 2001 Seven former residents file actions in QLD Supreme Court alleging they were subjected to atrocities in 1970s described as among worst committed against children in QLD. Litigants claim Anglican priest attached live electrical wires to children's genitals and inserted wire implements in their rectums. Priest also allegedly beat children using cricket bats and flushed their heads in faeces-filled toilets.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 01:16 am
The above 4 posts are just for Australia. I could keep doing this for hours, but it's too depressing and disgusting for me to continue.
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 01:26 am
Well, I think you still made your point more than clear! I don't think
I'd WANT to see the world-wide list!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 08:51 am
Bookmark
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 07:54 pm
akaMechsmith wrote:
The need for a little background comes to mind.

Is the priest sick? If so he needs a hospital, not a jail.:

The priest (if guilty) has committed criminal offences. There is no really effective "program" to help with this "sickness" - which is, sadly, often spread from generation to generation - except prevention and (research suggests) good handling and help for the victims when it happens. Jail is, indeed, a terrible place for paedophiles, and they deserve to be protected when in prison, and helped, if that is possible. Victims, and society, also need to know that the behaviour is taken seriously and condemned.

akaMechsmith wrote:
Were the kids pained or harmed?

Yes, they were. This stuff about sexual abuse not being harmful to children is the most errant and sophistical nonsense - confusing knowledge about children's sensuality and curiosity about sex with a readiness for adult sex. It is, at best, ignorant and blind - at worst it is self-serving and corrupt. The very nature of child sexual exploitation by adults is deeply harmful to kids in breaking the boundaries of trust and protection and the boundaries of children's readiness to deal with sexual matters. The secrecy with which it is usually practiced adds to the child's burden of guilt and shame, as does their confusion about special attention and, often, physical pleasure (if the offender is not physically violent and brutal) vs their clear sense that something is not right - this is in the best case, where a child is not physically damaged, or threatened and intimidated (as often happens.)

I have now worked with so many abused children (and adults disclosing for the first time) that I assume the number would be in the 1,000's - I have seen differing levels of harm - but never no harm. Increasingly plentiful and good research supports, overwhelmingly, clinical impressions in this matter.

akaMechsmith wrote:
Will society add to or ameliorate any damages?

Obviously the reactions of those around children who have been abused can add to, or lessen, the harm done - (and sometimes reactions have been stupid and hysterical - that is one of the first jobs of frontline professionals, or wise parents and families and other networks, to attempt to ensure that disclosures are handled lovingly, calmly, matter-of-factly, gently and in a way that lessens trauma and does not "blow" up the allegation by leading the child) - but I fail really to grasp the meaning of your question. Are you suggesting that such allegations be handled in secrecy, by the church, for instance, as has been done so ineffectually in the past? Or that they be ignored?

akaMechsmith wrote:
Does the unnatural life that a priest is required to live have a little something to do with it?

Does the prospect of living an unnatural life attract persons to the preisthood who had a rather tenuous grip on reality in the first place?

Possibly - all the more reason for priests, and anyone else with the care of vulnerable people, to be on guard, and for systems to be in place to lessen risk and deal immediately with early warnings. Priests (and other care-givers) are adults - they have an obligation not to commit criminal offences and hurt people, as we all do.

akaMechsmith wrote:
I do not approve of adult males forcing their attentions on defenceless little girls. ?

Good. I assume your disapproval extends to boys, as well?

akaMechsmith wrote:
I also do not approve of high school and college coaches encouraging defenceless young men to go forth and maim each other on a football field. (as played in the US)

The coaches activity which often results in physical damage to growing bodies is is blessed by society and the churches.

The priests activity which seldom results in physical damage and any mental damage is due largely to societys treatment of the victims, both before and after the act, Is condemned.

IMO this irks me. In a fair and just society both the coach and the priest would be similarly treated. We do have a religious society

Interesting views about football. Not sure how they are relevant? Perhaps you need to start an anti-football thread.

Mental damage of sexual abuse victims largely due to society's treatment of the victims? Not true and a cop-out - though societal attitudes can, as I have acknowledged above, act to increase, or lessen, damage.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 07:59 pm
Thanks Deb. Wish I could express myself as eloquently.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 08:10 pm
akaMechsmith,

Please do respond. I, for one (among many), am thoroughly disgusted by your post and would like to hear your justifications for it.

Your suggestion that a football coach and a pedophile should be treated equally is absurd and disgusting.

I just re-read your post. I'm starting to think an explanation wouldn't help after all. While I disagree with the many who have leveled the accusation that you are a pedophile it's fair to say that you have acted as their apologist. Which is, IMO almost as revolting.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:18 am
Dlowan and Craven have just said it all. I am exteremely upset by what you're saying Mechsmith and it makes me wonder some disturbing things about you!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:33 am
To me, sexually abusing little children is one of the ugliest acts that can be committed by one human being to another. It is beyond me how you, aka mechsmith, can discuss pedophilia with football, in the same breath. Playing football is consensual....kids being abused by adults is not.

I would be very curious as to how you justify your position.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:33 am
I agrre to the above responses.

Just a minor PS:
dlowan wrote:
The priest (if guilty) has committed criminal offences. There is no really effective "program" to help with this "sickness" - which is, sadly, often spread from generation to generation - except prevention and (research suggests) good handling and help for the victims when it happens. Jail is, indeed, a terrible place for paedophiles, and they deserve to be protected when in prison, and helped, if that is possible.

This obviously depends on a) where you live and b) what kind of criminal law you have got.

In Germany, like in many other European countries, we have the "hospital treatment order" = you go to a special psychiatric clinic before or after imprisonment.

In one of the villages belonging to my town is the Europe's greatest "Forensic Psychiatricy", with some dozen paediophiles in it.
(Knowing all this from my work in prison as well as in that hospital: some can be cured others can't.)
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 03:07 pm
Walter, what haven't you done? Smile
0 Replies