PODs - Has anyone ever used one?

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 06:24 pm
If you don't know, PODs are cargo containers that are delivered to your house, you load them up and then they move them to a new location or store them somewhere for you. (http://www.pods.com/)

Since we're thinking about moving and timing has become an issue we are thinking of renting a POD and loading it up with all but the bare essentials. When the new house closes we would have the POD delivered there for unloading.

It is surprisingly inexpensive. We could rent a POD for a month, have it delivered to our house and then transported to the new house for about $300.

However, this does not include city permits for parking the thing on the street for a month (the fine print portion of PODdom).

I'm curious as to whether anyone has used PODs -- what the permits cost, and, if you park it in your driveway do you still need a permit, and about insurance for your possessions during transport.

Have you used PODs? What was your experience?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,180 • Replies: 15
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 08:39 pm
I haven't used them but I don't see why you'd need a permit if it is sitting in your driveway or yard. You can also have them come and pick it up and put in dry storage as another option.

Have you checked with your city/town on teh permits? My town doesn't do permits for parking on the street anyway so... It wouldn't be a concern for me. I'm guessing that Home Depot uses a standard PODS contract and that item may not be applicable to post people. Street permits are pretty much an urban thing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 08:56 pm
I would have never thought about it but at the PODs website when I type in my zip of where I am and of where I'm going they give me a PDX permit office phone number and tell me to be sure I have the proper permit for the thing.

I'm not quite ready to make a decision yet so I didn't want to call. Then again, if I do need a permit maybe it takes a while.

And yet again... if I need a permit for this thing I am going to totally rat out my neighbors for all their crap in the street which makes me worry about kids getting run over by cars. You should never own more than you have room to park.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 07:24 am
Can you put the POD in the driveway and park your car(s) on the street?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 08:44 am
I don't know.

I suppose step one would be to measure my driveway!

I guess I just need to call the city and get the story. Maybe it has something to do with parking a thing without wheels....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 02:41 pm
Would a POD be anything like a "sea-tainer"? The Navy used a seatainer to ship the household goods of one of my stepsons back from overseas.

It held a lot.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 04:09 pm
I imagine that it is very much the same thing. They look like ship cargo containers or what you might see on a freight train.

We really don't have all that much stuff. I doubt we would fill one up. I suppose once I start packing things up it might amount to more than I think it will though.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 04:11 pm
It seems like it always does. Just books, for example, take up so much damn room. They hug the wall and look all innocent and unobtrusive but then when you start BOXING the damn things...

I've learned to guesstimate better since our first big move but I was WAY off for that one...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 04:30 pm
I always try to label at least one box of books as "pillows."
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 04:52 pm
Ha!

We're pretty much do-it-yourself movers so I think I'll be marking the boxes according to what room it belongs to.

Through Mr. B's business we actually own several cargo container sized trucks that we could use to move in, which would be great, but we can't tie them up for more than a weekend.

He's warming up to the POD idea. It sure would make things easier for me.
0 Replies

krko

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 05:22 pm
BOOMERANG-question for you!!
I just registered and can't seem to send you a PM yet?
So thought I would piggyback here and ask you a question in regards to a previous post on furniture.
WHAT couch did you decide to get? Microfiber or Polyester blend....
I am in the same boat and trying to find out what is best...for 3 active boys and a dog..My DH wants leather...but really want something fabric this time around....Hope you don't mind me asking here. I read your previous note and the General's response..but wanted to see what you went with at the end of the day and how it is working for you.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:23 pm
Hi krko and welcome to A2K. I understand about the messaging thing -- you have to have been a member here and had a certain number of posts before you're allowed messaging honors.

And no, I don't mind you asking here at all.

We did the completely senseless thing and bought a nubuck leather couch (nubuck is the kind of suede they make shoes from). We found the couch used on craigslist for an absurd price and it was just so lovely we couldn't resisit it.

It has held up surprisingly well but it definately has shown some errr... hard use. Actually I think it looks better worn - like a favorite leather jacket. And it is lovely and luxurious in a way that hard leather isn't while being more durable than cloth.

So I'm not much help after all.

You might try posting a new topic under home improvement to see if you can't get a little more feedback on what might work best for you.
0 Replies

krko

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:47 pm
Thanks for responding so quickly. I am searching and searching on fabric this evening. I just have no clue what to buy and just sold our big puffy leather furniture, so living room has a small loveseat only. Wink Will post and see if I can get some advice.
Tks again!!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 07:18 am
We had our POD delivered yesterday and let me tell you -- it is totally worth the price just to watch their super cool robot truck in action!

I have never seen a truck so cool. They bring the POD in on a flatbed truck and back it into the approximate location then drive the truck out from under it. The POD is then suspended in this crazy contraption that they can drive, using hand controls, to where you want it to go. Then they drive the contraption off and put it back on the back of the truck.

Amazing!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 07:35 am
Like this.

http://thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/loading_up_storage_pod.jpg

http://thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/pod_scooted_on_truck.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 07:40 am
Yeah! So cool!

I love a good contraption.