Bull run in Pamplona Spain - WHY?

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 04:56 am
Why do people continue to do this in Spain? It just doesn't make sense!

MADRID, Spain -- Thursday's dash in Pamplona, Spain, was the most dangerous bull run yet in this year's festival. Bulls gored seven people and seriously injured several others.
One stray bull turned around and ran the wrong way. Herders with long sticks smacked it in the rump to get the animal pointed in the right direction.
The loose bull charged and tossed several runners.
Thirteen people went to the hospital. Three needed surgery and are reported in very serious condition.

This was the sixth of eight planned bull runs in the northern Spanish town renowned for its all-night festival parties.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,685 • Replies: 37
No top replies

snood

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 04:59 am
Why? Because sometimes people blindly follow tradition even if it's deadly and insane, IMO.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 05:06 am
It merely demonstrates the power of likker on youth.
You get a bunch of 22 year old douche bags all likkered up and theyll do most anything. Hell, Ill watch em. I was over there many years ago, I too got all likkered up . BUT I stood behind theJersey barriers with a nice young lady who taught me some useful Spanish phrases.

We went to a lawn mower race in St Stephen last week, it ws such a lame event and , from the very nature of the sport, possibly quite dangerous. Imagine a bunch of jockies souping up their riding lawn mowers so that they do 70 mph. Then you have them all meet at one spot and they spontaneously begin racing around a circle. Its gotta be a case of biological emergence . Good thing that they have an ambulance standing by.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 05:07 am
And why do you think your judgment is better than that of the Spaniards?

Some of the American traditions seem very weird to them too...

Some even seem deadly insane.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 05:07 am
snood wrote:
Why? Because sometimes people blindly follow tradition even if it's deadly and insane, IMO.

Well yeah, but....geesh! It would be like hundreds of NASCAR fans running out in the middle of a racetrack during a race. The odds are that someone is going to end up dead.

I've never understood this Bull ****. lol!
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 05:10 am
farmerman wrote:

We went to a lawn mower race in St Stephen last week, it ws such a lame event and , from the very nature of the sport, possibly quite dangerous. Imagine a bunch of jockies souping up their riding lawn mowers so that they do 70 mph. Then you have them all meet at one spot and they spontaneously begin racing around a circle. Its gotta be a case of biological emergence . Good thing that they have an ambulance standing by.

We've got lawn mower races right up the street from me every year. But I don't ever remember hearing about anyone running along side of them on foot!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 05:18 am
the point is that lawnmower racing ITSELF is a stupid and dangerous pastime.
In Pamploma, there are more people behind the barriers watching than the crowd of idiots running with the bulls. Dont try to think it out too much , its just the way humanity lets off steam. Consider, if you will

Bunjie Jumping

Base Jumping

Synchronized power tool marches

chain saw tossing

Alligator wrestling

avalanche skiing and boarding

moose tipping.

I rest my case/
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 05:27 am
Synchronized power tool races?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 05:35 am
jever hear of the DOo dah parade in California? There are drill teams with power tools , very inspiring.

Ill bet that in the US National Park system, there are more people sent to a hospital annually while trying to feed a candy bar to a park bear than all the people hurt in the bull run. We had two kids get mauled by a bear in N Lancaster county back in early April as they were teasing the bear as it emerged from hibernation
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 05:39 am
farmerman -Now that you mention it, I have heard of that power tool parade in Cali.
Yes, you've shown that Americans are idiots too.

Oh well.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 05:50 am
We are all indeed joined at the hip by our penchant to do silly , lame , and dangerous things all over the world. This separates us from the lesser apes.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 06:25 am
Because they can. Outlaw the bull run in Spain, and they'll have a cobra dance party in India, or an Islamic Bullet Parade in Paris.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 07:26 am
Funny happycat, when I read about the annual run in the Sunday paper, I wondered (as I do every year) why do they do this.

Personally, I think it's a testosterone thing. Some men, especially younger ones, have to get it (male bravado) out of their system some way, and since they no longer rage at the moon and engage in more primitive displays of machismo, they do things like let bulls chase them, or chase each other in souped up lawn mowers.

There is a basic hormonal difference between male and female. The woman will general say "That doesn't seem smart to do", the man says "I have CONQUERED DEATH!!!! ALL YOUR BASE ARE MINE!!!!!"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 08:39 am
cjhsa wrote:
Because they can. Outlaw the bull run in Spain, and they'll have a cobra dance party in India, or an Islamic Bullet Parade in Paris.

I suppose, it must be outlawd by the Navarre parliament, which I doubt, since the Basques are quite proud about their traditions (even if didn't before the 20's of last century.

Quite funny (and therefor as response to cjhsa's post above): in 2006, a proposal to create a "buffalo run" in Deadwood, South Dakota was denied by the Deadwood City Commission.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 08:42 am
The 'Running of the Bulls' is part of the San Fermin Festival, btw, which is celebrated in honour of the town's saint.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 10:27 am
Chai, the most used phrase by all men is "NEAT!!", whenever we are shown something like a rocket powered car (no matter what the logical female brain is saying), the man is saying to himself"I Gotta Get Me one of these"

SAMMATTA YOU??
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 10:29 am
"I RON VEES DE BOOOLS,I YAM MAS MACHO" (((((squish))))))
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 10:32 am
Now, maybe the American PCs gonna find a mean to lower the testosterone levels of other countries' men... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 10:40 am
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 11:01 am
Francis wrote:
Now, maybe the American PCs gonna find a mean to lower the testosterone levels of other countries' men... Rolling Eyes

I don't want to lower anyones testosterone. Men all over the world are like this.

It's not a Spanish thing, it's a man thing.

Somewhere in the world a man is daring a buddy to poke a sleeping tiger with a stick, or buy a hot tip stock, or saying "NEAT, I WANT ONE".

It's the nature of the beast.
0 Replies