Using WORD 2007

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 06:45 pm
I am writing a long paper, including an Index. I bought WORD 2007, but am now thinking I should have stayed with my old XP. I am having a hard time with the Index feature, which was on of the reasons I bought the 2007.
Does anyone know how to create an Index using Word 2007? If so, can you take me through the process step-by-step, to the point where there are actually 1 or 2 words in the index? As you can probably tell, I am computer illiterate.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 703 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 07:11 pm
MS Word has built in Help file on indexing. Also your MS Word manual has a whole section on how to Index which will tell exactly step-by-step instruction how to Index. Way too hard to describe online.

Also FYI... XP is the Operating System. MS Word is a text editing software application which runs on XP OS.

For convenience, you can highlight a word or phrase in the document before opening the Mark Index Entry dialog and the selected word or phrase will appear automatically as the index heading. Be aware that indexing is about "dissecting" a document into its component topics, not simply picking out keywords from the text.

You can also enter "See also" and "See" cross-references using the Mark Index Entry dialog. Microsoft Word automatically puts the "See also" and "See" text into italics. Be sure to put semicolons in between items in the cross-reference list for correct punctuation.

The trickiest part of indexing in Microsoft Word is creating page ranges. You first create a bookmark for the selected range. Then, when you create the index entry, you simply select the appropriate bookmark. While straight forward in principle, this two step process of creating a bookmark and then an index entry can become a little tedious.

To view the resulting index you first need to setup an index using the "Insert->Index and Tables" menu item. It's a good idea to generate the index as you go along to see how the index is developing. To regenerate the index, click on the index and press F9.

A Word for the Wise:
MS Word gives you the ability to automatically create index entries from a list of keywords, or what MS Word calls a "concordance file." Using this technique can result in many useless entries while missing important topics. Remember that creating an index requires human thought.

For info on how to Index using MS Word, click on the following hyperlink:

http://www.allegrotechindexing.com/news017.htm
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 08:56 pm
WOW!
Thanks for the information. Although I have not gone to the HELP button, I have read and tried to follow the instructions. I even bought Word 2007 for Dummies. I've found that the "Dummies" or "Idiots" books explain things better - probably because their descriptions do not assume any prior knowledge on the part of the reader. I looked for the "Insert -- Index and Tables" button, but I apparently do not have one. Not undere "Insert" at least.
I guess I'll just go back to the Manual and the "Dummies" book and try again. Maybe I'll get lucky.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 10:55 pm
you're welcome:

Here ...why not try this link (Applies to: Microsoft Office Word 2007)

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP012264991033.aspx#3

and

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP012264991033.aspx#2
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 02:47 pm
Ragman:
Thanks for the two hyperlinks. The second one (Create An Index, in Office Online pin-points (I think) my problem. Under Step 2, #1 it says: "Click where you want to add the Index." But when I go to the "Reference Ribbon" to click onto Insert Index, that button "blinks out" - it fades away and is unusable & I have nowhere to add the index. Since an Index always follows the Endnotes, it is next-to-the-last (followed by Appendices). That is originally where I wanted to place the index - immediately after the Notes. But when the Insert Index button goes off, it effectively shuts down any index page. Do you have any suggestions?
0 Replies

azhar5i

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 12:52 am
Thanx Ragman those links which u gave here its really works. I had a little prob about MS office but now i have got the solution of my problem.
0 Replies