Handmade Lemon Pudding, Help!

littlek

Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:31 pm
Quote:
Julian convinces his little brother, Huey, to taste a pudding made for their mother. Taste they do, that fabled pudding, which according to both mom and dad, tastes "like a whole raft of lemons, like a night on the sea." And they keep on tasting 'til the pudding is gone. The punishment leveled by their father - a "beating" and a "whipping" of a new pudding - is both tender and just. Cameron's creative use of language and the way she repeats key phrases, make each story memorable and a pleasure to read aloud.
http://www.childrensbestbooks.com/Images/books/julian_stories_sm.jpg

This is a user quote from Amazon about a book called "The Stories That Julian Tells" by Ann Strugnell.

It is indeed a hoot to read to kids. My niece has wanted to make lemon pudding since then. So, we beat and whipped (I did really, she lost interest in 2 minutes) and blended and popped them in the oven.

The problem is that the pots of pudding aren't cooked through in the 45 minutes the directions told me they'd be needing. But, I tend to change recipes as I make them..... for instance this is more lemony and less sweet than the recipe calls for. I added more rind rather than lemon juice so as to keep the dry-wet levels even. I added less sugar but more flour for the same reasons. So, I'm guessing it's about something technical.

Instead of one pot set in a shallow tray with water, I have three pots set in two shallow trays of water. Would this change the cook time? I expected if it changed it'd change to needing less time because the pots were smaller than those called for in the recipe.

Could I have put too much water in the trays? Would that make a difference?

And how do I know what a 'set' center is?

Help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 6,910 • Replies: 28
Topic Closed
No top replies

littlek

Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:50 pm
Analysis: too much water in the pan. The top was like cake and the bottom semi-liquid. It's damn good anyway.
0 Replies

littlek

Sat 14 Jul, 2007 04:30 pm
Analysis, part ducks: I didn't fold the whipped whites into the beaten yolks, I blended them lightly with the electric beaters. Could I have caused the separation thusly?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 14 Jul, 2007 04:37 pm
Baking (and pudding falls into the category of baking) is more science than art.

The chemistry and physics of ingredients and timing makes a difference.

Where it's fairly easy to successfully modify things you're cooking, baking needs more compliance with the recipe.

Changing the rind/juice balance changed things. Chemistry.
Changing the flour/sugar balance changed things. Chemistry.
The wrong level of water in the trays changed things. Physics.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 14 Jul, 2007 04:38 pm
Using the beaters v folding - changed things.
0 Replies

littlek

Sat 14 Jul, 2007 06:24 pm
It's baking! Who knew! I saw a million different recipes, all proven winners. I guess they'd tested their versions and they all worked.
0 Replies

yoko

Thu 26 Jul, 2007 07:04 pm
Do you think the problem could have been the bowls...??? maybe the ratio of surface area to volume was too small when you bake it in a bowl....???

This is my opinion as a scientist who made a large bowl of lemon pudding instead of a casserole dish (which is how i normally do it) and the result was too soupy.
0 Replies

djjd62

Thu 26 Jul, 2007 07:05 pm
oh man, now i want lemon pudding
0 Replies

dadpad

Thu 26 Jul, 2007 08:06 pm
littlek wrote:
Analysis: too much water in the pan. The top was like cake and the bottom semi-liquid. It's damn good anyway.

Ummmm I think its supposed to be like this. Difficult to tell without actually seeing it but you serve the cake into a bowl and spoon the semi liquid over the cake or possibly invert the bowl and let the liquid ooze down over the cake portion.

If you feel there is innsufficiant "cake" reduce the water level.

one thing though dont give up just cause it didnt work the first time. adjust and compensate however you feel necessary. Things like height (which rack) in the oven can affect baking as well.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 26 Jul, 2007 08:22 pm
dadpad wrote:
adjust and compensate however you feel necessary. Things like height (which rack) in the oven can affect baking as well.

It's usually best - when baking - to make it the way it's recommended - exactly - the first time.

Baking's fussier about details than cooking.
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 21 Jan, 2008 04:01 pm
I just attempted the lemon pudding again! I made it according to the recipe except I added extra lemon rind. I FOLDED very carefully........ It looks good! I'm waiting (impatiently) until it cools down before tasting it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Mon 21 Jan, 2008 04:23 pm
<Lines up spoon in hand>
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 21 Jan, 2008 04:38 pm
Things were looking better, but the pudding turned out pretty much the same as last time. Caky on top and curdy on bottom. Still tastes damn good, though.

<hands a bowl to dadpad>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 21 Jan, 2008 04:42 pm
Is your oven heating properly from the top and bottom elements?
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 21 Jan, 2008 04:49 pm
Beth, I don't know. I'm not really a baker. I do know that things take a little longer to cook in my oven than they should (according to the labels). It doesn't seem like that is the problem. The bottom part isn't so much uncooked as separated from the top. All the flour rose and baked cake-like and the lemony juicy bits sank and became sort of lemon-curdish. The bottom seems like it would never become more cooked than it is already now - except that maybe it'd become reduced )thicker). Next time I'll try a different recipe all together.
0 Replies

dadpad

Mon 21 Jan, 2008 04:53 pm
Dapad, hunkered over the bowl, quickly demolishes the failed lemon pudding.

"All gone" he says brightly.
0 Replies

dadpad

Mon 21 Jan, 2008 04:55 pm
Cakey on top curdish in the bottom.

Its supposed to be that way lilk.
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 21 Jan, 2008 05:05 pm
is it?
0 Replies

Mame

Mon 21 Jan, 2008 05:09 pm
can you post the recipe, littlek, so we can have a look? I don't make things like that - the only one I've ever made was a lemon meringue pie from scratch... was it like that? The lemon meringue recipe doesn't call for flour, though, so I suppose not.
0 Replies

Mame

Mon 21 Jan, 2008 05:11 pm
Was it like this one?

Lemon Pudding Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons melted butter
2 egg yolks, beaten lightly
1 lemon, grated rind (zest) and juice only
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup milk
2 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks

Directions:

Cream sugar and butter. Beat egg yolks lightly, adding juice and a little grated rind of lemon. Combine egg mixture with creamed mixture. Combine 1/4 cup cornstarch with a little of the milk to dissolve it. Add remaining milk, stirring in well. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks and fold in. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 2 quart Pyrex casserole dish. Place casserole in pan with hot water. Bake at 375 F. for 30 - 45 minutes. Top should be light brown when done.
print recipe or shopping list

This recipe from CDKitchen for Lemon Pudding serves/makes 5

Recipe ID: 8988
0 Replies