Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 03:18 pm
A couple of years ago the lady Diane and meself found this luncheon counter inside the Model Pharmacy in a older part of Albuquerque. been there for like 50 years. We gave it a try and found wonderful food/sandwiches from Reubens to roasted, in house, turkey breast etc. On the drink list was Lime Ricky.
The very first time I had a lime ricky was in Cairo about 1950 at the hotel where we stayed on our way to Rome. All the Brits at the hotel would gather in late afternoon on the hotel veranda and have a lime ricky, so did I. they were wonderful (like a super-charged limeade)
I had one at the luncheon counter and was immediately inthralled. When we got home I got on google trying to find the recipe for lime ricky and came up flat so the next lunch we had there I asked the waitperson how they made Lime Ricky and she told me' Squeeze 6 fresh limes, add simple syrup and club soda, pour over cracked ice, add a slice of fresh lime; serve.
Incredible refreshing on hot summer days.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,287 • Replies: 21
No top replies

username

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 03:22 pm
In New England the local variant is the raspberry lime rickey--as above, plus a shot of raspberry syrup. Maybe I'm just conditioned to it, but I like them even more than straight lime rickeys. A r.l.r. float is great too--add a scoop of high quality vanilla ice cream. It's much more tart than a root beer float, but kinda neat. I'll hoist a virtual one to you for the thread, dys.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 03:24 pm
username wrote:
In New England the local variant is the raspberry lime rickey--as above, plus a shot of raspberry syrup. Maybe I'm just conditioned to it, but I like them even more than straight lime rickeys. A r.l.r. float is great too--add a scoop of high quality vanilla ice cream. It's much more tart than a root beer float, but kinda neat. I'll hoist a virtual one to you for the thread, dys.

here's looking at you, kid.
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 03:26 pm
"of all the soda joints in all the towns all over the world, she walks into mine..."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 06:12 pm
eyep, raspberry lime rickies were what I grew up on. We mercins always have to set ourselves apart from the brits.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 08:38 pm
If you get an Orangina you have, in that bottle, an orange ricky, all you do is pour it over shaved ice. Ive been told that some people add Vodka
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 10:48 am
When I was a kid, there was an old drug store that still had the fountain soda set up. They used to have both lime rickeys and rasberry lime rickeys - loved them.

Now the only place I can find them is Brighams - Boston area ice cream type places and the local Dairy Freeze (like a Dairy Queen, but locally owned).
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 10:55 am
Brigham's also used to make (and maybe still does, if you can actually find one of the few remaining ones) the world's best black-and-white frappes (what in the rest of the world is called a chocolate milkshake).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 11:04 am
username wrote:
Brigham's also used to make (and maybe still does, if you can actually find one of the few remaining ones) the world's best black-and-white frappes (what in the rest of the world is called a chocolate milkshake).

Isn't a black and white frappe made with chocolate and vanillia ice cream, whereas a chocolate frappe would simply be made with just chocolate. Anyway I thought the difference between the frappe and milkshake was the frappe had more ice cream and less milk making it significantly thicker.

Either way - I agree, I love the frappes.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 11:08 am
excuse me! the topic is Lime Ricky's, get on topic or die!
bastards!
I luv everyone, The Dys.
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 11:12 am
Where I grew up in Michigan, and most times since when I've had milkshakes in the Midwest, they make 'em with vanilla ice cream. Wouldn't be surprised if some places use chocolate, but I never hit them to my knowledge. Which kind of confused me when I moved to MA and figured out that a milkshake here was just shaken milk and that a frappe was the thing that had ice cream in it, because then I ordered chocolate frappes and they just didn't taste right, so I started watching the Brigham's people closely when they made 'em and saw that telltale brown color in the ice cream scoop and had that "aha" moment, and asked what it took to get vanilla. And that tasted right.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:12 pm
At risk of death, isn't the black and white frappe vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup? Whereas the chocolate frappe is chocolate ice cream and syrup and the vanilla frappe is vanilla-vanilla?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:22 pm
I've heard mixed things. The one defination I got from Peaceful Meadows in Whitman website is

"A frappe is a blend of milk, syrup, and ice cream In other parts of the country this is known as a milk shake. A milk shake in New England is a frappe without ice cream - a cup of flavored milk.

Many people order "shakes". We think they mean a shake as available in the fast food places, something like a fribble or an awful awful, or something with candy mixed in. These are usually made with ice milk - we have them ! They are called Yogurt Blenders and Low fat shakes.

Frappes are available in Coffee, Chocolate, Strawberry, Black & White, Mocha or any ice cream flavor you'd like!

Available in regular, extra thick or malted."

According to above it sounds like a black and white is vanillia and chocolate, but it probably varies by region and even store.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:53 pm
Because I am insane and couldn't find it on Brigham's website, I asked them the question via their email contact information.

They responded rather quickly.

I asked:

"What is the difference between a frappe and milkshake?

What is a black and white frappe? "

They answered:

"The difference between a frappe and a milk shake is that a frappe is made with ice cream, where the milk shake is just basically flavored milk.

A black and white frappe is a vanilla frappe with chocolate syrup, or a chocolate frappe with vanilla syrup.

If you need any additional information, please let us know."
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 01:32 pm
LIME RICKEY!!!
Tasty, refreshing, and:
"A lime rickey a day keeps scurvy away!"

Clumsy fellow that I am, I sometimes spill gin in mine.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 02:05 pm
George wrote:
I sometimes spill gin in mine.

Now that's what I call a lime rickey.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 03:29 pm
Thank heaven George and ehBeth brought the thread back on subject. Dys had started polishing his rifle--the one with the chocolate bullets.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 03:34 pm
Re: Lime Ricky
dyslexia wrote:
A couple of years ago the lady Diane and meself found this luncheon counter inside the Model Pharmacy in a older part of Albuquerque. been there for like 50 years. We gave it a try and found wonderful food/sandwiches from Reubens to roasted, in house, turkey breast etc. On the drink list was Lime Ricky.
The very first time I had a lime ricky was in Cairo about 1950 at the hotel where we stayed on our way to Rome. All the Brits at the hotel would gather in late afternoon on the hotel veranda and have a lime ricky, so did I. they were wonderful (like a super-charged limeade)
I had one at the luncheon counter and was immediately inthralled. When we got home I got on google trying to find the recipe for lime ricky and came up flat so the next lunch we had there I asked the waitperson how they made Lime Ricky and she told me' Squeeze 6 fresh limes, add simple syrup and club soda, pour over cracked ice, add a slice of fresh lime; serve.
Incredible refreshing on hot summer days.
Dys, you are a great story teller and writter.

Man those lime rickys sound good. In Cairo in the 1950s no less!!!

Raspberry my ass.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 03:48 pm
Amigo wrote:

Quote:
Raspberry my ass.

Well why don't you get your ass out here and we'll make one for you. Then Dys will tell you stories until the wee, small hours.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 05:07 pm
I'm thinking that sounds great and that you guys sound like my kind of people.

someday.

and it is a custom in my family to bring gifts you can EAT. (and a novelty california gift)

We grow these special lemons at the raunch were I work. You can't get them nowhere (or so the story goes,there very good)
0 Replies