The Restaurant

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 07:03 am
The last thing I think television needs is yet another reality show, so I checked this one out reluctantly, and mostly because I worked in the industry, and wanted to see what it was all about. Well....despite my protestations against the whole concept, and some obviously staged scenes, it is the real deal. I can vouch for experiencing and/or witnessing practically everything I saw on the show, at one time or another in my career. I cannot say the same for anything put out by FOX. Could this be the first real 'reality' show since the first Survivor? Hmm.... I don't know. I would watch more of this show, but it makes me tense....makes me feel like I am at work. Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,779 • Replies: 15
No top replies

bigdice67

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 07:53 am
Do they have a link, cav?

I know swedish television had some kind of realityTV-show, like "Big Brother" and it was about a bar, and the person who won, got to run the bar for a year, or so... methinks...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 07:57 am
Well, there isn't much as the show just started, but here is a synopsis:

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-19971/
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 08:15 am
Sounds good, and really exciting! But with a budget of $4million, you can really whup some serious @ss!!! A crew of hundred!!! How big is this place? I think I gotta bookmark that link...
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 12:02 pm
Cav, I broke down and watched that one, too, just because I also have years of restaurant experience. I missed the first one but watched the one that was on a few days ago. It was pretty much right-on as far as the reality part of it went. I was cracking up at the "group walk-out" comment (how many times have you heard this said on a tough night?)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 12:08 pm
What killed me was how incompetent the staff were....where did they find these people?
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 12:38 pm
I missed the first part of the show, so all I really saw was a few of them getting fired or bumped down to busboy, and then they seemed to focus more on Fran Drescher and the disgruntled customers and on the staff's complaints rather than their performance. It didn't seem to be going very smoothly though, for sure.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 03:53 pm
Cav,
I saw the first show, it was mostly about the financing, finding the location and the big hiring blitz. But I could tell from the prequel blips the next show would be pretty real. From the sounds of it...I think, I've already worked there. I'm not sure I can handle the repeat:cry:
I've always wanted to open a special little eatery. I might learn a few valuable tips. So I'll try and catch the next episode.

The F&B industry can be scary Twisted Evil and every place I ever worked had names for the horrors. How many can you add to the list.
'Spagmares' in Italian restaurants,
Bridezilla and Mommy Dearest in Wedding Hell,

Thanks,
Ceili
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 03:58 pm
Well Ceili, that's pretty much why I do private catering these days. Less headaches, less stress, and I'm my own boss. Did I mention less overhead? Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 04:01 pm
I would think that $4M and a crew of 100 would be about right for a full blown reality show. I mean, it's Universal Studios for pete's sake. They don't do things in a small way.

If you think about it, most concert tours have more roadies and a much larger budget than that, even if they're rockers from 20 years ago.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 05:32 pm
Cav...Did I mention less overhead?

Hard road recently, I'd imagine. Sad
Maybe the Stones will turn it around again.

C.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 06:15 pm
The best analysis of putting a restaurant together was last season's "Curb Your Enthusiasm," played for laughs to a degree but very real (especially putting together the big name money people who expected everything to run smoothly like making a movie -- yeah, sure). I notice this chef/owner is good looking and doesn't have any afflictions!
Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 06:38 pm
Lightwizard, are you making fun of my psoriasis? Just kidding....yeah, Rocco was voted one of the top 100 sexiest men in Manhattan or some bullcrap like that. It most likely smoothed over the TV deal.

Ceili, yep, things have been rough the last few months, but they are picking up. We recently saw relatives from Edmonton, in town for my brother's wedding last week, and they say Alberta isn't doing so well either right now Sad Let's hope it gets better for everyone.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 07:20 pm
Keepin' my fingers crossed.
0 Replies

valgalmypal

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 01:29 pm
It was bad. There was a fire in the kitchen. A waiter falls and hurts his arm. Guests were complaining.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 01:58 pm
"Waiter! There's a finger in my soup!"

"No sir, that's not a finger...."
0 Replies