Noddy24

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 08:56 am
Roberta--

Unfortunately, the party is over. Too much well-marbled meat has put a pound on well-marbled me.

Will drooling take off pounds?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 11:49 am
quoting part of the brisket recipe -

Italian Jewish Style Brisket

1 beef brisket, about 5 to 6 pounds
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large carrot, cut in 1/4-inch dice
2 sticks celery, cut in 1/4-inch dice
1 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 sprig fresh rosemary
3 chicken livers (poached, if you keep kosher)
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1 bottle red wine
1-1/2 cups chicken stock

Garnish: 4 sprigs of parsley, chopped

Here I am drinking red wine before noon - I had to try it. Just put the brisket in the oven. The wine is an australian cabernet, pretty tasty.

First problem, the celery at the store yesterday was unbuyable, really poor looking. So, I went with the can of tomatoes that had some celery brush by the factory conveyor belt.

I'm tempted to toss in more chicken liver, don't know if that would be a good or bad thing to do.

Since I bought only half of the brisket advised in the recipe (what do they think, that I am wealthy?), I had a fine time trying to get the brisket not to float in all that wine and chicken broth. I'm pondering some kind of weight to hold beefy down in the pot...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 03:15 pm
Osso--

Several moves ago I acquired a lovely, rounded beach pebble of asphalt which made a wonderful weight for chunks-of-meat.

Alas, it vanished.

Perhaps a well scrubbed desert rock?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 03:49 pm
Wow, osso. You're proceeding with the brisket. Did you halve the recipe since you've only got half the brisket? I assume that floating is not a good thing. Why not put a plate on it. Pick up pebbles from your garden. Put them in something and put that on the meat. Or just let it float. What can it hurt?

Eager to hear how this turns out. Never had brisket with wine.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 05:27 pm
The Osso brisket just come out of our oven, the potatoes are boiling and the wine is breathing.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 06:49 pm
dyslexia wrote:
The Osso brisket just come out of our oven, the potatoes are boiling and the wine is breathing.

wonderful...
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 06:50 pm
<<drooling>>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 07:19 pm
It turned out really well if I do say so. I would cook it at a lower temp, say 280, next time, for a longer time. (Will have to look at more recipes. I don't like my slow-cooked stuff to bubble too much.) We all thought the "gravy" was great.

Not sure how it would go over in da bronx... I guess mashed potatoes are a no no. Maybe roasted reds with olive oil...

There's a woman who did a well reviewed italian jewish cookbook, oh, probably fifteen years ago now. I may have to look that up.

I gave up on the all the meat in the liquid business. Didn't seem to matter.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 07:21 pm
<<still>>
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:05 am
Glad it was a success. Not surprised, though. But glad.

Why would mashed potatoes be a no-no? Tasty gravy. I say let's have the mashed taters.

I doubt that my mother or grandmother ever used olive oil, so the roasted reds woulda been nekkid.

Ah, a delicious brisket. Makes me smile.

Are you still planning to make the corned beef?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 08:27 am
Roberta wrote:
Why would mashed potatoes be a no-no?

milk (in the mash) and meat on the same plate Shocked

~~~

I suspect that would really depend on if you're from a "separate kitchens" family, or "shrimp rolls after temple" family :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 08:45 am
Yeah, milk/cream and butter in the mashed... wouldn't they be a no no for some?

The Dys is now talking about making corned beef (he's done it from scratch before)..
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:09 pm
Kosher never occurred to me.

With brisket, my mudder and grandmudder would cut up the potatoes and put them in with the brisket. They tasted wonderful cooked in the gravy.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 10:35 pm
Despite the heat I was sufficiently inspired. Made a pot roast. Dragged out my mother's old recipe--faded and barely legible.

It smelled funny when cooking but tasted great--like buttah. I'm being careful about the meal portions. I want enough left for a sandwich.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 10:41 pm
Oh! Oh! So how many pounds, what temp, how long???
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 01:38 am
One and a half pounds (a lot smaller after cooking).

Low flame on top of stove (used my mother's dutch oven).

Cooked for about one and a half to two hours (not entirely sure). Threw in a cut up potato the last half hour.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 06:18 am
when I Cook a roast, i use a roasting bag, put in the roast, add a can of beer, a can of spicy v-8 and smear the roast with horseradish, a few small whole potatoes/onions and carrots with lots of garlic pressed into the meat. 2 1/2 hours at 275.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 06:26 am
A pot with a good lid is better than any roasting bag which I think makes the beef taste boiled.

Joe(i used to enjoy a lid of good pot)Nation
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 06:54 am
There are two things I can't do with my mother's recipe. The first is get the meat she got--from the butcher. The second is including a marrow bone. I need a butcher for that too.

My Mother's Recipe

1 large onion per 1 1/2 pounds of meat
grated carrot (I grate one and throw one in cut in pieces)
salt
minced garlic
paprika
Put meat in pot fat side down
1 marrow bone
1 beef bouillon cube in 3/4 cup of water (I tried using beef stock; it doesn't taste the same)
Cook until tender
Covered, low heat

We never called this pot roast or brisket. It was always top o' the rib. (My mother and grandmother never used pepper. No pepper in this recipe, but sometimes I add some.)
0 Replies