Favorite Comic Book Artist,Writer, etc.

NNY

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 01:11 am
Let us see...

Favorite Comic Book/ Graphic Novel:

Artist (If you care you can say drawer and inker)

Writer

Overall

um... Need to think of more probally...

Creator?

I'll post my answers to my own questions later, I'm just to tired to think of it right now.

Oh yeah, if there's some best_______ category I was too lazy to think of please write it or something... so sleepy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,878 • Replies: 22
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 04:24 am
Book / Novel: Art Spiegleman's Maus.
Strip: Walt Kelly's Pogo.
Drawer: Winsor McCay
Inker: Walt Kelly
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 05:56 am
I have a good friend in Baton Rouge whose hobby is collecting comic books. About 15 years ago he tried to get me interested in a new issue called "American Flagg". I think the artist / writer was named Chaikin (sp?). From what I remember, it seemd pretty good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 06:23 am
Favorite comic book: Classics Comics (later renamed Classics Illustrated)

Artist: I have to also say Walt Kelly, although Norman Nodel was close

Writer: Don't know

Creator: also W. Kelly
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 06:53 am
Anything by Edward Gorey or Ralph Steadman....

I loved the Maus books as well, Raymond Briggs' 'When the Wind Blows', and the Batman 'Dark Knight' series.

http://www.ralphsteadman.com/

And how I learned my ABC's:

http://www.wishville.co.uk/gorey/start.htm
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 08:24 am
Ethel and Ernest by Raymond Briggs

this is the story in comic strip form of his parents meeting, marrying, life, having him, him growing up in a very very moving way - had me in tears!!! Beautiful drawings, humour and pathos and insight.

... and the Snowman and Father Christmas and The Bear and When the wind blows (the last one i am not so sure of the title but it is about nuclear war and very black) all by Raymond
Briggs

sozobe if you look in on this thread and don't know his work do look at it for the sozlet.

page about him
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 04:23 am
Oh... and best comic treatise...

Understanding Comics by Scott McLeod
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 11:35 am
My favorite comic books are "The 7 Guys of Justice" - my friend writes them.

My all time favorite panel comics are "Callahan" by John Callahan and "Ernie Pook Comix" by Lynda J. Berry.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 04:08 pm
I like the original charlie Brown comics from the 50's (By Charles Schultz) They are really quite subtle and clever.
Also, the fabulous furry freak brothers, and of course classic marvel comics (really old spiderman/batman).
I also like Jhonny the Homicidal Maniac, and the sandman comics.

Online, I read clan of the cats, but that's more occupational brain candy than love.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 05:22 pm
Calvin and Hobbes
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 05:31 pm
Definately Bill watterson . He is a six year old forever. Favorite comic artist without a strip-Frank Frazetta for his fantasy paintings
Cav-the sorority sauce ref is not cool before supper.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 05:41 pm
Favorite comic book writer: Carl Barks, who produced some wonderfully zany Donald Duck tales in Comics and Stories, and who invented Scrooge McDuck for some great adventures and comedy.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 09:11 pm
Artist...

Stan Lee has revolutionized the whole industry so I have to put him in just for the creativity he put forth. I'm a big X-Men fan, and who hasn't heard of them, or Spider-man, or the Incredible Hulk, or Stripperella... ok bad choice, but you get the impression.

J. Vasquez doesn't have the most intricate work, but it's so different than anything else out there, it works for me. He's my favorite quite simply. He does it all, draw, write, edit, answer insane fan mail...

Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman work together on the same page and it still looks cohesive, and besides they made the cluckin' ninja turtles!

Writer...

Chris Claremont was able to write a story cohesive and interesting enough to make the first drama of comics, the x-men. They were not super heroes... How did it go? Children of the atom, they are humanity's only hope in the face of evil: they are the uncanny X-men! Humans hate them however.

Neil Gaiman made a great living mythology out of a dead "super hero". When finished the Sandman no longer resembled anything of the dead title, save the title itself.

J. Vasquez -

Laird and Eastman -

Overall...

Stan Lee
J.C.V.

Overall Book

JTHM
SQUEE!
I FEEL SICK

Uncanny X-Men
X-Men
New X-Men
X-treme X-Men
Ultimate X-Men

Sandman

Watchman

Comic Strip...

Close to Home
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 09:12 pm
double posted..
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 11:53 am
Favorite comic book artist
A terrific graphic novel is "Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood" by Marianne Satrapi. She tells of her childhood and adolescence growing up in Iran before and after the Revolution. The drawings (by the author) are extremely simple, almost stylized, but every individual is clearly identifiable. The story is serious, even heartbreaking.

And yes, "Ethel and Ernest" was extremely moving, especially the end.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 11:53 am
Favorite comic book artist
A terrific graphic novel is "Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood" by Marianne Satrapi. She tells of her childhood and adolescence growing up in Iran before and after the Revolution. The drawings (by the author) are extremely simple, almost stylized, but every individual is clearly identifiable. The story is serious, even heartbreaking.

And yes, "Ethel and Ernest" was extremely moving, especially the end.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 03:55 pm
Favorite comic book
Sorry about the double posting. There was a problem accessing a2k.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 04:12 pm
"Zippy" by Bill Griffith.

Are we having fun yet?
0 Replies

ntropy

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 07:26 am
okay, i'm speaking strictly of the newspaper dailys here...

first, as far as creation and concept goes, i think the best ever was Calvin and Hobbes.

artwise, it's hard to come close to Winsor McCay, but i must say i've been really impressed with Pat Brady's dynamic style (Rose is Rose) lately.

and i think Gary Larson probably had the best sense of humor of all time.

and that's my word on that.

but for the record, i love Vasquez's style and his characters and stories and everything. as far as comic books or graphic novels go, nny is probably one of my top favorites.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 07:57 am
Frank Frazetta.
Back in the 60's, as a kid interested in fashion design, I loved Betty and Veronica comics because the clothing was so current and trendy.
0 Replies