CSA's - or Community Supported Agriculture

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 03:20 pm
I was so pleased to find out that even in the heart of a city like Boston would could take advantage of a CSA.

When I did a search recently I came up with a great site that had a search by state option for all the farms that offer CSA programs.

http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

Their definition of a CSA which covers a variety of them:

Quote:

Many farms offer produce subscriptions, where buyers receive a weekly or monthly basket of produce, flowers, fruits, eggs, milk, coffee, or any sort of different farm products.

A CSA, (for Community Supported Agriculture) is a way for the food buying public to create a relationship with a farm and to receive a weekly basket of produce. By making a financial commitment to a farm, people become "members" (or "shareholders," or "subscribers") of the CSA. Most CSA farmers prefer that members pay for the season up-front, but some farmers will accept weekly or monthly payments. Some CSAs also require that members work a small number of hours on the farm during the growing season.

A CSA season typically runs from late spring through early fall. The number of CSAs in the United States was estimated at 50 in 1990, and has since grown to over 1000.

We are involved in a CSA this year and have actually split it with another couple out here in the suburbs and it has been good. It's just started the last couple of weeks so, I'm excited to see how it 'grows' during the summer and fall months.

We have gotten a great deal of produce and I can only say - I wish I cooked with Leeks because I would be having the greatest time with those right now. I am going to try to do something this week with some of them.

We have also gotten some odd items that seem interesting and I think that joy will continue and again, I just hope I can figure out what to do with it all.

It's really nice to have farm fresh produce brought to the city to a place we can pick it up and at a reasonable cost (Although it is pre pay). I have a co worker who also does it with another farm and has the option of picking it up in places like Harvard Sqaure, Davis Square for all you locals.

Does anyone use a CSA now? What has your experience been?

Use the link to check for programs in your area Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,311 • Replies: 2
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 03:51 pm
This looks like a great service!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 04:31 pm
I'm really surprised that you aren't involved in one of these as of yet. Of all the persons I know, I would think you would be all over it.
Maybe you will be now?
Not bad to split with someone else.
Maybe next year when you have a "real" full time job (just kidding-kinda)?
0 Replies