VW Vanagon? Help with part identity?

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 04:39 pm
Anyone around here have any experience with these?

I have an 84 water cooled vanagon that is in need of a few small repairs. Though I don't know what the exact part name it is so I was hoping some of you vehicle buffs would be able to help me out.

Both the drivers side and passenger side windows don't work, they are being held up by viskrips(?) That one tiny little piece needs to be replaced and i'm not sure what its called. Something to do with the window regulator.

Also, I need a similar sort of piece for the sliding door as it is stripped and it doesn't open or close properly. Some little tiny plastic piece.

Does anyone have a clue what those things are called?

Thanks everyone!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,215 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 05:18 pm
You haven't described the piece or what it does. Perhaps you can be more detailed about the function and what it looks like?

Is this a clamp between the glass to open the window outward..or is this something that raises the window...and is it electric or manually operated window?

Are you referring to the gasket in the door (sliding piece)..or the rollers that make it slide?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 07:43 pm
Hiya!

The windows are manual. They roll up and down...or used too! Basically, the window isn't on the slider thingies anymore....We took the door panels off today and dug around in there...i guess it's hard to explain since i don't really know why they wont go up and down anymore.

Another thing I am having trouble with is the batteries won't charge up while driving. It got a new alternator last year. So it shouldn't be that, but I guess you never know. There are two batteries that run the van. If one of them does not take a charge very well anymore would that affect them not recharging when being driven?

Thanks!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:58 am
I'm a basic backyard mechanic so someone who has more expertise than I can validate or invalidate this info...but this is what I would advise:

Go to a foreign recycled (junk yard) parts shop and ask there about what parts are needed. You could even ask at a VW parts shop at a VW dealer. they could advise you about name of the parts. A junk yard may have what you are looking for.

I can't comment much on the window, other than to say, the glass could have have slipped off the runners. There is probably a big gear that elevates from the window cranking action...look to see if you can find where the crank transfers motion to the window regulator.

Regarding the sliding side-door part..not sure..but the sliding-door guide needs regular maintenance by lubing. It's probably worn out. Again, I'd ask VW parts for the name of this part and either call around or comb the foreign junkyards for it.

My first thought is that I would bring the car to a good INDEPENDENT (NON-VW) repair shop as I think a real mechanic would fix that window elevation issue in a heartbeat.. and this repair might be less than an hour's labor (around $80/hr). VW service as a rule tends to be expensive and frankly overcharge through the nose.

The charging issue possibly MIGHT either be:

1. New battery needed (how old is the battery that won't charge?)
2. the voltage regulator (could be separate component from alternator)
3. loose or worn alternator belt

WARNING: DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THIS BELT. IF YOU OVERTIGHTEN (NO PLAY IN BELT), YOU COULD RUN INTO THE POSSIBILITY OF CAUSING THE WATER PUMP TO FAIL AND PUT AT RISK A BLOWN ENGINE.

However, you need to know that many current-day alternators have Voltage reg. built in (not sure of Vanagon's alternator), so if the alternator/regulator is a newly replaced one, then I'm sort of a loss. You'll need a real mechanic there...possibly the place that fixed it that last time. Alternators and altern./regulators CAN go bad in a year, but that's not often likely to be the case w/o a cause (such as an electrical surge killing the bridge).

OK it's a water-cooled engine, then there's a chance your alternator belt could be slipping or glazed (causing it to slip...and not charge). Check to see if the belt has about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of deflection when you push on it in the middle of the belt's length. Check to see if the belt has shiny and/or cracked surface. if it does, replace the belt and tighten it properly as per the previous info. After a week or so of driving, retighten as it will loosen a tad. My guess is that if you had Alternator replaced a year ago, then the belt might just need re-tightening. A good mechanic would have replaced the alternator belt when they replaced the alternator. Do you ever hear a belt squeal when you accelerate or when things are quiet enough??

More Vanagon info:

I just did a search for repair/VW Vangon blogs:
It's considered one of the best-handling vans in existence". They seem to have a cult-like-following, even though they nickle-and-dime ($500) you to death.

"most complaints of wallowing or insecurity on turns are due to improper tires. There are very few tires suitable for this vehicle -- with its standard 14" wheels it requires a tire with Reinforced rating (the specified pressure for rear tires is 48 psi) and a high load rating. Shifting to 15-inch wheels widens the selection considerably, but not many wheels are suitable."

"They do indeed need lots of expensive repairs. The cooling and exhaust systems are complex and difficult. They are prone to seam rust. The engines need rebuilding sooner than you would expect in a modern vehicle, there's a rubber gasket between the head (s) and the cylinder water jacket (s) that is designed to fail, transmissions sometimes fail early (the automatic appears to be more reliable than the manual) ..."

Check the info there about vanagon fuel leaks...exhaust leaks...shifting problems

Here's the link:
http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_28187.html

To order VW Vanagon parts online:
http://www.autohausaz.com/volkswagen-auto-parts/index.html

If it turns out that you NEED a 1984 VW Vanagon voltage regulator, here's a link to order online ($27):

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=khl12155jkyx5255yq0gpazi&makeid=800026@VW&modelid=1286401@VANAGON%20&year=1984&cid=18@Electrical%20%26%20Vacuum&gid=4884@Voltage%20Regulator

Some mechanics say...they have: "constant ignition/distributor problems"
I'm looking further...
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 02:42 pm
WOWZA!!! Thank you so much for taking the time and finding out all of that information, thats amazing! Thank you! I will keep you posted on the progress Very Happy

Cheers!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 02:47 pm
You're quite welcome...please do that. I'll be watching for it.

Here's more pieces of vital Vanagon INFO:

"Oil Filters:
One costly problem we've seen quite a bit of is the use of cheap aftermarket oil filters. Especially in Vanagons, this mistake can be deadly to your engine. We recommend using Mann or Bosch oil filters for Vanagons. Both these brands have a pressure relief valve that allows oil to bypass the filter in the event that it becomes clogged. Filters that don't have this bypass valve can cause a loss of oil pressure which can delay hydraulic lifters pumping up and even cause serious engine troubles. "

"Vanagon Odometers:
When driving a vangon that is new to you, we recommend that you DON'T use the trip odometer. If it has not been used regularly in the recent past, the button could push the pin that holds the numbers in place, causing damage to your whole speedometer. A speedometer is a costly rebuild!"
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 05:40 pm
progress
any progress yet?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 08:15 pm
Yes, actually!! Thanks for asking!

I have just sold it and bought a 1970 vw bus that is so far in very good mechanical order, just needs a paint job!
0 Replies

djpurnomo

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 04:34 am
VW 1999 Engine Repair near Albany, NY please help me Ragman
Sad story of misdiagnosed indicator light resulting in destroyed timing belt, water pump and subsequent melted engine parts. It's a 1999 Bug with only 84,000 miles. Need a really good, independent, fair repair/rebuild person. Thanks!!!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 07:24 am
albany NY INDEPENDENT foreign car repair
I live in Albany NY area and have a fantastic foreign car Independent repairer for you. Drop me a note back here (or IM me) and I'll supply you with contact info.

This guy and his whole shop is honest, excellent, and will do the job that SHOULD be done.
0 Replies

sullygrrrl

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 12:28 pm
@InTraNsiTiOn,
Hi, did you ever find out what was wrong with your sliding door? Our sliding door needs a strong hip-check from the inside to open it, but it won't open at all from the outside. Just the main latch at the handle pops, but something is wrong with the rear latch.
Any insights?

Thanks,
Kazza
0 Replies