1 in 5 Americans believe Sun revolves around the Earth

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 11:36 am
real life wrote:
USAFHokie80 wrote:
Umm... ever heard of Galileo? Religion is to blame for this. The church only apologized like 20 years ago for condemning Galileo and his theory of a Heliocentric solar system. Religion quite often seeks to retard education and understanding of our world.

You speak of 'the church' as if one person who heads up one organization speaks for all Christians in all places at all times.

It just ain't so.

Good point . . . i'll bet there are millions of bible thumpers who have never heard of Galileo, and couldn't define heliocentric if they lives depended on it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 11:39 am
kickycan wrote:
The world is flat.

No it ain't . . . it's bumpy. But it does sit on a flat plate . . . on the back of a gigantic elephant . . . who's standing on the back of an even bigger turtle . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 11:42 am
Eorl wrote:
I think this all comes about because at least 50% of all americans are at or below the average amercian IQ.

Are you sure that's not the median?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 11:55 am
Chai wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Chai wrote:
If, according to the totally unscientific fact that 54% of French people sitting in an audience believed the soliel revolved around the terre, does that mean they are much more fanatical about religion than Americans?

I wonder what a scientific analysis of the French would tell you.

You're basing all of this on Who Wants to Be a Millionare. Classic and typical.

If you bothered to read my prior posts, I realized that clip is an entire joke, and alluded to that. I said it was totally unscientific.

I read all of your posts, twice even, before I decided to comment. With the exception of your qualifiction "unscientific" you paraded out the 54% number for the following 2 or 3 pages as if it were scientific and representative of the French population. You didn't allude to anything.

Quote:

As unscientific as taking data collected for one purpose, connecting lake of knowledge to education level, math skills, study of science and trying to apply them to a total unrelated subject....religion.

I was not arguring in favor of the conclusions of the original survey or post.

Quote:

Just like you assumed I believe 54% of the French believe this....talk about classic and typical.

There was no other conclusion that someone could have reached. Again, you paraded the question and the 54% over and over for 2-3 pages.

Here are some other quotes that support my interpretation of your comments.

Quote:

and the third link [the 54% one] that shows this is apparantly not just an American problem?

Quote:

You're changing the subject....What do you think about the fact 54% of a French audience believe the Sun revolves around the Earth? I think we're doing quite well at a mere 20%.

Quote:

I notice no one starts a thread entitle "54% of the French believe the Sun revolves around the Earth" and if there was one, I don't think religion would be listed as a cause.

Quote:
If you obviously can't speak as to why the French believe this, how can you speak to why Americans do?..........You like to pick and choose what you know something about. You know the population of the world are mostly idiots, you know why 20% of americans believe something, but can't express why 54% of another population believe something.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:05 pm
maporsche has got you... you do keep saying things like "fact" when it is no such thing. maybe you're one of that 20% here? :-p
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:10 pm
maporshe...

I suppose I did make a dumb assumption here...you don't know me very well (at least I don't know you) but if we were 2 people who've communicated regularly, you know that I wouldn't believe something like that. I tend to take the side of the ridiculous, to show how ridiculous it is. Sorry if you read me wrong, my bad.

Let me be clear, I no more believe that 54% of the French believe the sun goes around the earth, than I do that 20% of Americans believe the same, based on religion. I was pointing out that the 2 things are equally ludicrous. Better?

"going on" for 2 or 3 pages, asking USA to substantiate his belief, has borne no fruit, but then again, I think it's because he can't. He's shown nothing to back up his claim except with nebulous things like "it's safe to say"
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:13 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
maporsche has got you... you do keep saying things like "fact" when it is no such thing. maybe you're one of that 20% here? :-p

You haven't established any "facts" either.

god damn, where's Thomas when someone needs a push toward proving ones self? Laughing
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:24 pm
I never said any of my statements were fact, unlike you.

Quote:
asking USA to substantiate his belief

My belief... I believe a large portion of the US are idiots... so I don't really need to "prove" it.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:39 pm
Here... this substantiates my belief:

Quote:
'Miracle Machine' -- Do Not Use Near Explosives
By David Becker July 10, 2007 | 12:27:35 PMCategories: Religion

An update on Uganda's "Miracle Machine" case, in which a self-modeled preacher used an magician's trick device to deliver electric shocks to parishoners, who readily accepted them as the force of God:

Police have turned the preacher's "Electric Touch" gizmo over to explosives experts for examination. And while they're still upset with the would-be holy man for using it to fleece the flock, they offer some grudging respect for manufacturer Yigal Mesika Company. Literature accompanying the device, they note, clearly states that it should not be used around computers or people wearing jewelery or other metal items. "It is also not supposed to be used in areas with explosives."

Source:
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/07/miracle-machine.html

See, religion makes people stupid. :-p
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:43 pm
Chai wrote:
USAFHokie80 wrote:
You weren't taught that because it's crazy. My point is that the Vatican issued a command that Galileo must stop all discussion of his heliocentric theory and only recently did they apologize for this. It's scary to think that the only reason you were not taught the earth-centric solar system is that there is uncontrovertible evidence to the contrary.

Ah jeez, Galileo has been dead for what? 40? 50 years now?

Um yeah, .......about that long.

Give or take a few hundred. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:45 pm
glad someone finally caught that real life :wink:
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:48 pm
Yeah. Do you ever feel like you're being ignored?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:48 pm
Well , do you?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:49 pm
Please answer.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:50 pm
PLEASE!!!! Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 02:46 pm
why would I feel like I'm being ignored?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 05:32 pm
Setanta wrote:
Eorl wrote:
I think this all comes about because at least 50% of all americans are at or below the average amercian IQ.

Are you sure that's not the median?

Laughing

I had a bet with myself that you, specifically, would say exactly that!
I thought I had lost, but I needed to be more patient.

Of course, the gag wouldn't work if I said "median American", but then, it didn't work anyway (probably because I've used it before).
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 09:02 pm
Re: 1 in 5 Americans believe Sun revolves around the Earth
Zippo wrote:
Quote:
1 in 5 Americans believe Sun revolves around the Earth

There is a reason why people are fighting so hard to get creationism taught in the public schools along side evolution as a scientific alternative.

Americans, on top of not having a clue what a cell is or what radiation is or even that the Earth revolves around the Sun are letting religious leaders dictate to them what to vote on issues that would take knowledge of basic scientific fundamentals, because I am assuming that they are assuming that since these religious leaders are supposedly moral and ethical 'authorities' they should be qualified to figure out where we stand on these scientific issues, but who is to say that they even know these basic scientific concepts?

What a dangerous misstep.

Fact: Polls show that in general, people who adhere to fundamentalist views are not well educated.

source

Faith and knowledge are mutually exclusive. One does not need to believe in elephants because one can SEE the elephants and know they are real. The presence of knowledge excludes the need for faith.

Therefore faith demands ignorance.

More here

We're all ignorant to some extent. A Christian isn't any more ignorant than an evolutionist. Christians just use faith to cover the things that they can't prove, by believing in a reliable source.

Though evolutionists use faith, too. They have faith that the things they read about scientific studies are true. They have faith that the studies weren't faked, or that the information that is being given to them isn't false. They also have faith in the scientists that performed the studies.

So evolutionists are just as ignorant as Christians. And most athiests believe in evolution. (There aren't many alternatives other than creationism and evolution.) Therefore, athiests are just as ignorant as Christians.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 06:54 am
Re: 1 in 5 Americans believe Sun revolves around the Earth
BlueAwesomeness wrote:
So evolutionists are just as ignorant as Christians. And most athiests believe in evolution. (There aren't many alternatives other than creationism and evolution.) Therefore, athiests are just as ignorant as Christians.

What I disagree with about this statement is the assmumption that if one considers themselves christian, they automatically cannont believe in evolution.

Clearly not true.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:43 am
I think any reasonable person would agree that these two "faiths" are nowhere near the same.
0 Replies