1 in 5 Americans believe Sun revolves around the Earth

Zippo

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 06:08 am
Quote:
1 in 5 Americans believe Sun revolves around the Earth

There is a reason why people are fighting so hard to get creationism taught in the public schools along side evolution as a scientific alternative.

Americans, on top of not having a clue what a cell is or what radiation is or even that the Earth revolves around the Sun are letting religious leaders dictate to them what to vote on issues that would take knowledge of basic scientific fundamentals, because I am assuming that they are assuming that since these religious leaders are supposedly moral and ethical 'authorities' they should be qualified to figure out where we stand on these scientific issues, but who is to say that they even know these basic scientific concepts?

What a dangerous misstep.

Fact: Polls show that in general, people who adhere to fundamentalist views are not well educated.

source

Faith and knowledge are mutually exclusive. One does not need to believe in elephants because one can SEE the elephants and know they are real. The presence of knowledge excludes the need for faith.

Therefore faith demands ignorance.

More here
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,069 • Replies: 61
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 06:50 am
I find it interesting that you and your initial source pin the blame on on "faith" exclusively yet the original source for the data, while putting some of the responsibility on religion, puts the majority of the blame on bad public shools.

Does public education demand ignorance as well???
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 07:03 am
Whenever I land on a televangelist while channel surfing, and see those auditoriums full of arm flailing believers waiting in line to be slapped upside the forehead to be healed - fully believing that they will in fact walk again - I always think that it's the truly ignorant that believe this crap.

Whenever I hear or read about some holier-than-thou polygamist with six wives and 23 kids, I always think that the wives and the kids must revel in ignorance.

Intellegent, thinking humans don't blindly follow church doctrines in this day and age of knowledge and scientific discovery.

jmho
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 07:25 am
http://www.eightballmagazine.com/images/idiots00.jpg
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 03:08 pm
fishin wrote:
I find it interesting that you and your initial source pin the blame on on "faith" exclusively yet the original source for the data, while putting some of the responsibility on religion, puts the majority of the blame on bad public shools.

Does public education demand ignorance as well???

Well, fishin, we all know that if government schools just had more money, THEN they would begin to teach children.

The reason government schools are waiting to do their job properly is because they don't get enough money yet.

I wish I had a job where I could wait until the salary was to my liking before I performed my job, but alas, I didn't have the foresight to get a teaching certificate when I was in college.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 07:01 pm
The level of ignorance of the American public regarding scientific and other matters is very discouraging. What is needed is better education. I think the U.S. is falling behind in this regard relative to many European and Asian countries. I understand we're seeing fewer students go into the technical fields. For an uneducated public to speculate on matters of religion and spirituality only compounds the ignorance, since they have no more understanding about the wisdom teachings of the past then they do about science. It doesn't help that modern institutionalized religions have become corrupted from centuries of politics, wrong teachings, and entrenched doctrinal positions. Of course, those who oppose spirituality in any form use this as ammunition to discredit spirituality when the real enemy is inferior education, and the economic and social circumstances that lead too many young people to drop out of school before graduating from high school, or not pursuing college if they do.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 09:11 pm
Re: 1 in 5 Americans believe Sun revolves around the Earth
Zippo wrote:
. . .
Faith and knowledge are mutually exclusive. One does not need to believe in elephants because one can SEE the elephants and know they are real. The presence of knowledge excludes the need for faith.

Therefore faith demands ignorance. . .
Seen any UFOs lately, Zip?
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 09:54 pm
Umm... ever heard of Galileo? Religion is to blame for this. The church only apologized like 20 years ago for condemning Galileo and his theory of a Heliocentric solar system. Religion quite often seeks to retard education and understanding of our world.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:44 pm
How much science do Americans know? Math "uncool"

Interesting PowerPoint

If that PowerPoint was a bit much for some, here are opinions straight from the chevals mouth, to the tune of 56%. The public speaks.
Well worth watching all 3 minutes!!

I love it how someone posts that Americans are falling behind Europeans in just about anything, and it's just assumed that must be the truth.

I'd like to see the survey Dr. Miller put out, to see what exactly was asked. For instance, in that PP, it seems people were asked open ended questions such as "do you feel you have a firm understanding of what nanotechnology is?" That's pretty nebulous IMO. I've thought I didn't know much about a particular subject, and would have claimed ignorance, then, while conversing with others, would find out I really know a lot about whatever the subject was.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:29 am
I think it ws 1992 when the vatican first annouced the world was round. No ****.

I'm a little put off by the attack on public schools. Teachers, are integral in our nation's development, yet on average, they are paid so little. But money to schools doesn't just mean money to pay our teachers it means money to buy lab equipment, and other teaching materials. Further, at some point the religious zealots of the world have put themself at odds with our education system, for what?

T
K
O?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:47 am
USAFHokie80 wrote:
Umm... ever heard of Galileo? Religion is to blame for this. The church only apologized like 20 years ago for condemning Galileo and his theory of a Heliocentric solar system. Religion quite often seeks to retard education and understanding of our world.

You speak of 'the church' as if one person who heads up one organization speaks for all Christians in all places at all times.

It just ain't so.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:49 am
The Catholic Church. And the Pope does speak for the majority of the followers of Catholicism. My point is that religions tend to hold people in darkness rather than encourage them to learn.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 08:09 am
Um...has anyone bothered to read my first 2 links showing that Dr. Miller (and his colleague) did not associate this with religion?

and the third link that shows this is apparantly not just an American problem?

In fact, this thread doesn't even belong in religion and spirituality.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 08:17 am
Chai wrote:
Um...has anyone bothered to read my first 2 links showing that Dr. Miller (and his colleague) did not associate this with religion?

The fact that they didn't associate it with religion does not negate the fact that the geocentric theory and the flat-earth theory are religion-based falsehoods.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 08:20 am
It must have come as a revelation to Zippo when his 3rd grade teacher explained the solar system. Good luck in summer school Zip.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 09:05 am
USAFHokie80 wrote:
Chai wrote:

The fact that they didn't associate it with religion does not negate the fact that the geocentric theory and the flat-earth theory are religion-based falsehoods.
Actually, it's just another cut and post from zippy. Like we can't read the news for ourselves.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:22 pm
Funny, I went through 12 years of Catholic school, and was never taught the Sun revolved around the earth.

In fact, the good sisters and pater noster went out of their way to teach the opposite, I'm sure it was on a test somewhere.

I remember hearing something from them about the earth being round too, before 1992.

If, according to the totally unscientific fact that 54% of French people sitting in an audience believed the soliel revolved around the terre, does that mean they are much more fanatical about religion than Americans?

Neo...there's a lot of information on Jon D. Miller if you google. Didn't specifically look for the 1 out of 5 thing.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:30 pm
Chai wrote:

Now why would they go through teh trouble of doing that? They ignored the link I posted that says pretty much the same in in the 2nd post in this thread too.

So much for all those open minds! :wink:
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:44 pm
You weren't taught that because it's crazy. My point is that the Vatican issued a command that Galileo must stop all discussion of his heliocentric theory and only recently did they apologize for this. It's scary to think that the only reason you were not taught the earth-centric solar system is that there is uncontrovertible evidence to the contrary.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 02:23 pm
The world is flat.
0 Replies